Tuesday, October 18, 2011

S'mores Cookies

Good Tuesday morning!

The Gallery Pics are of the kids who live on the back deck... also known as Copper and Sparkle. They are loving the cooler weather, and boy, will they be surprised tomorrow when they wake up to temps in the 40s.

I know what you're thinking. "Why don't you let them come in and sleep in their basement room since it is going to be SOOO cold?"

We have tried, but to no avail. They come in for a minute and run around the house like crazy dogs, but then they want to go outside. They want to protect The Faulkner Five from bad guys, the occasional raccoon who wanders into our backyard and any and all other evil creatures... chipmunks, cats and squirrels.

They have a job to do and they take it very seriously, and I, for one, am thankful for their protection... so outside they will stay!

CONTEST! CONTEST! CONTEST! - Okay. This is a good one. After much thought, I decided to celebrate my third year of blogging (Thursday, October 19) by letting you enter the Contest via Facebook. Super easy.

All you have to do is "like" my link. I post A Simple Life link every day (Monday through Friday) on Facebook. If you hit the "like" button, you are automatically entered in the Contest!

And the prize... is... to... die... for! If you win, you get to pick from the following items which will be purchased (by me) from Whole Foods Market:

1. Two beautiful bars of organic soap. (Just tell me your bathroom colors, and I will make sure the bars will match. They come in many pretty colors and they smell divine!)

2. A $10 Gift Certificate to the Village Brasserie. (This is the little restaurant in the middle of Whole Foods. It is wonderful!)

3. An assortment of ten mini desserts delivered to your door.

4. A $10 Gift Certificate to Whole Foods Market!

5. A $10 Gift Certificate to Yogurt Mountain (which is conveniently located CLOSE to Whole Foods Market).

Remember... You can only choose one of the above!

What are waiting for? Hit the "like" button under my link and your name will be put in the bowl for drawing Thursday, October 19 at NOON!

If we aren't friends on Facebook (or you are not on Facebook), feel free to contact me via e-mail, and I will put your name in the bowl. No problem!

RANDOMNESS - Roxie's daily driving lessons are coming along. She doesn't want to wait until Mikie returns from Washington, D.C. She feels missing five days of instruction would be detrimental to her hopping in the car and driving all over the world solo the day she turns 16. (I've told her it wasn't going to happen that way, but as we all know, Roxie has that "mind of her own" thing going for her.)

All three of the kids have driven differently. Austin was very cautious. Josh was very comfortable behind the wheel. Roxie is NOT cautious and very comfortable. (Just in case you're wondering, that is NOT a good combo.)

She knows where the gas pedal is, and she's not afraid to use it!

Her main goal while driving in the neighborhood is to make it to the main road. "Today, Mom? Can I get on the main road today?"

"No. Not today. Not tomorrow. Not until your Dad is sitting in the passenger seat next to you. Do not ask me again!"

"Okay. But if things go well, I can go on the main road tomorrow, right?"

Roxie likes the "wear the Mother down to a nub by asking the same question again and again and again" tactic. I had hoped she would employ the "I'm never speaking to you again, and one day you'll be sorry we went five years without talking" tactic. I've seen that one used by other teenage girls in the mall and other public places, and I must say, that one looks delightful.

But, alas... Roxie knows me too well.

"No. I said you will NOT go on the main road until Dad comes home. You will NOT go on the main road to drive until at least Thursday or Friday. You will NOT go on the main road Tuesday or Wednesday of this week. This is non-negotiable!"

"Okay. But if I'm better by tomorrow, you'll let me drive a little on the main road, right?"

That was when I started the "I'm never speaking to you again, and one day you'll be sorry we went five years without talking" tactic. I'm not proud. After all, I'm a semi-mature 50 year-old wife and mother of three. I should know better.

But I am tired... and Roxie senses that!

All in all, Roxie is a pretty good first-time driver. She turns corners very well, and she is very good when it comes to putting on the turn signal, stopping at stop signs and looking both ways twice before pulling out into traffic.

I think she is going to be a very good driver... but not by tomorrow!

S'mores Cookies

In case you hadn't heard, I am a Pinterest Expert now... thanks to the Lovely Melia! So it is no surprise that today's recipe comes from that wonderful new Internet source of everything divine! I "pinned" this recipe from www.the-girl-who-ate-everything.com. It's a great blog, and I urge you to visit... after you leave A Simple Life, of course.

You will need the following:

11 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
1 cup brown sugar, packed
1/2 cup granulated sugar
2 large eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 teaspoon cinnamon
2 1/2 cups self-rising flour
1/2 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
1 cup mini marshmallows
3 regular sized Hershey’s bars, broken into pieces
1 to 2 packages graham crackers, broken into squares

1. Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. Line baking pans with parchment paper.

2. Lay out graham crackers side by side on the pans as close as possible. (They should be touching.)

3. In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour and cinnamon to combine. Set aside.

4. In a different bowl with an electric mixer, cream butter with white and brown sugar until light and fluffy. Add the eggs and vanilla and mix until combined.

5. Add the flour mixture to the butter mixture and combine on low speed.

6. Fold in the chocolate chips and marshmallows. Chill dough in refrigerator for at least 1 hour.

7. Place tablespoons of dough on top of graham crackers. I averaged about 1 1/2 tablespoons of dough per graham cracker square. Press down slightly with fingertips.

8. Bake for 5 minutes then remove from oven to press Hershey’s bar pieces on the top. You can place as many pieces or as little as you want depending how much chocolate flavor you want.

9. Bake for 5 to 7 more minutes or until dough is beginning to turn golden brown at the edges. Remove to a wire rack to cool.

10. For clean cutting make sure cookies are completely cool and cut with a sharp knife.

I cannot wait to make these. In fact, I think a grocery store run is in order! (Maybe Roxie can drive me?)

Have a fantastic Tuesday. DON'T FORGET to LIKE THE LINK so you can enter the Whole Foods Market Contest. It's a good one! I'll be back in the morning with a Seasonal Tradition, Wednesday Wisdom, pics and Randomness.

Take care, and I'll talk to you tomorrow.

Sincerely,

The Enchanting Belinda

No comments:

Post a Comment

Site Meter