Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Carving the Jack-o-Lantern Tradition

Good Wednesday morning!

The Gallery Pics are of the mini TACO BOWLS I made all by myself. So cute. (Roxie and Josh didn't see the need. They like their tacos soft and hand-held. But they aren't as sophisticated as The Enchanting Belinda.)

On the other hand, I think they are going to LOVE the cookie bowls I make later this week... filled with ice cream. You don't have to be sophisticated to like ice cream bowls.

RANDOMNESS #1 - I was recently asked by the Alabama Coalition Against Domestic Violence (ACADV) to write a special post this Saturday, October 15, about the importance of a "healthy" relationship. It can be a post about a husband, a child, a friend. I hesitated accepting the request until I realized "healthy" isn't another word for "perfect."

I'm not writing A SINGLE WORD about "perfect." Nope. But I might can pen a paragraph or two about "healthy." Especially if I use other sources!

All this to say, I will be posting this Saturday which is totally unheard of in Blog World.

Stop by if you get a chance on your busy weekend!

RANDOMNESS #2 - You may be wondering why there were no photos from Fun Fall Ride #2 Monday morning. Well, that would fall in the "we're not perfect" category.

After Josh's birthday celebration, Mikie had to run to the office for a little while. Josh had church choir practice. Austin needed to spend time with Melia. Roxie felt the urgent need to buy a scarf, jeans and a purse with her birthday money. Since Roxie cannot drive, I had to take her.

Fun Fall Ride #2 totally and completely fell apart.

I was going to go ahead and take Fun Fall Ride #2 with Roxie on the way back from The Galleria. I thought to myself, "We'll leave the mall and go to Railroad Park for a few minutes and enjoy the changing leaves, the sunflowers, etc., etc. Two Faulkners out of five isn't that terrible."

Well, guess what? It's starting to get dark around 6:30. When we left The Galleria at 6:00, it was getting dusky. It was very pretty.

However, by the time we would have arrived at Railroad Park, it would have been DARK... and we would have been downtown... alone. Two good-lookin' chicks roaming a big, empty park on a lonely Sunday night in downtown Birmingham.

And, thus, Fun Fall Ride #2 did not happen this past Sunday.

I still have hopes and dreams for this coming Sunday. Right after church. Maybe a picnic. Maybe at Railroad Park. Maybe some chicken!

I may be eating an apple on a park bench by myself. We'll see.

RANDOMNESS #3 - The Importance of GNO - I'LL BE ADDING THIS AFTER 3:00 THIS AFTERNOON!

Wednesday Wisdom - Today's wisdom comes from Dee Brestin, author of The Friendships of Women. (A great book, by the way).

"I cannot count the number of times I have been strengthened by another (person's) hug, appreciative note, surprise gift, or caring questions. My friends are an oasis to me, encouraging me to go on. They are essential to my well-being."

The Enchanting Belinda says... I love the phrase "essential to my well-being." I "must" have these things to be balanced and healthy. I "must" give these things in return to others. Living alone and for myself is not a healthy, balanced option.

Carving the Jack-o-Lantern Tradition

My friend, Susan Peacock, sent these "carving" traditions to me... and I loved them both. See if you could use these ideas while carving your pumpkin with the kids this year.

Originally the Jack-o-Lantern was used to scare away evil spirits. Just like Jesus can change you and make you new we can change the traditions of the Jack-o-lantern for our homes. Carve a pumpkin this fall with your kids and enjoy these TWO new traditions.

Jack-o-Lantern Prayer
By Liz Curtis Higgs

(Cut off top of pumpkin)
Lord, open my mind so I can learn new things about you.

(Remove innards)
Remove the things in my life that don’t please you.
Forgive the wrong things I do and help me to forgive others.

(Cut open eyes)
Open my eyes to see the beauty you’ve made in the world around me.

(Cut out nose)
I’m sorry for the times I’ve turned my nose at the good food you provide.

(Cut out mouth)
Let everything I say please You.

(Light the candle)
Lord, help me show your light to others by the things I do.
Amen

After carving the pumpkin, tell the children The Peter Pumpkin Story. Save carved pieces to use in story. Think of recent issues your family has dealt with and personalize the story with those issues. No name calling. Take turns telling the story again and again. Once you read it you’ll understand.

Meet Peter Pumpkin. Peter woke up one morning bright and happy and ready for the day. His light was shining and he felt good.

"Oh, Peter!" cried his mother. "Did you remember to brush your teeth this morning?"

"Yes, Mother," Peter lied. He really hadn’t brushed his teeth, but if he stopped to do it now, he’d be late for school! So Peter lied. Peter’s mouth wasn’t shining quite so brightly any more. (Put the mouth piece from the pumpkin back in the mouth hole.)

Peter went on his way to school. He felt kind of bad lying to his mother, but he wasn’t going to let it spoil his day. When he got to school, some of his friends were talking. Peter went over to them and heard about Tina’s new car. Peter wanted to feel important, too, so when Tina walked away Peter told his friends her new car was a clunker. Oops, there goes part of Peter’s happy face. (Insert eye piece.)

Continue with similar stories for the remaining parts of the pumpkin face, each time, inserting another piece until the whole face is back in place.

Watch what happens to the light.

"Peter’s light has gone out. His face is all dark and sad now." (Relate this to sin in our lives.)

Two new ways to turn an old tradition into a meaningful devotion for you and your family. Good stuff!

Have a sweet Wednesday. I'll be back in the morning with Blog Linkage and a Date, plus, more reasons the GNO is SO important!

Take care, and I'll talk to you tomorrow.

Sincerely,

The Enchanting Belinda

No comments:

Post a Comment

Site Meter