Thursday, October 6, 2011

Homecoming Breakfast, Campfire Talk Dates

Good Thursday morning!

The Gallery Pics are just a couple of my pumpkin/mum finds from yesterday. The Epic Faulkner Farms (circa 1842) Front Porch Fall Decorations have begun. I'll add to it through Saturday of this week, when both my attention span and fall funds are depleted.

RANDOMNESS - A Josh Story - As I wrote on the blog last February, Austin's birth was an emergency C-Section. I didn't care for C-Sections. In fact, I thought the women I knew who had C-Sections and "loved" them were certifiably insane. I didn't like not being able to cough or laugh. I didn't like hurting if I tried to walk upright. I didn't like the driving restrictions. I didn't like the staples. I didn't like being allergic to morphine. The list could go on and on and on. (I'm a whiner. I admit it. I am NOT a good surgical patient.)

That being said, I was determined to have Josh without the C-Section. I told my doctor not once, but many, many, many times how I planned on this birth taking place.

But I've gotten a little ahead of myself, haven't I? Before we arrived at the end of the nine months, we had the pregnancy. Because I had gained 50 pounds eating powdered doughnuts and 3:00 p.m. Sneaky Pete hot dogs every day (and I mean EVERY day) during my pregnancy with Austin, I had decided to be much more disciplined with my eating habits during my pregnancy with Josh. And I did much, much better. By the time he arrived, I had gained 30 pounds... which I think is very, very good.

I had two little complications during my nine months with Josh... the first being my first bout with gestational diabetes. I had taken the test and was waiting for my results. The day I was scheduled to receive the results, I met my friend, Shelly, for lunch. I ordered the hot fudge cake for dessert when she informed me SHE was on a diet, and I absolutely could not eat hot fudge cake in front of her. Shelly was a formidable presence. I knew she was very serious. I also knew if I ordered the cake after she had TOLD me not to, she would throw it on the floor. (I am not kidding!) She was that kind of friend.

So, as a compromise, I ordered the cake "to go." She wasn't happy, but she didn't wrestle it out of my hands either. We said our good-byes and I went to my house. I was walking in the door with my box of cake making my way to the fork drawer when the telephone rang.

Now you have to understand something. I was living in Cullman at the time, and telephone calls (especially from family and friends from Trussville and Hoover) were precious. Also, I didn't have a cell phone with free weekend minutes OR an answering machine. I didn't have the option of NOT answering the telephone. Coming into the house a mere thirty seconds later, I would have missed the call altogether.

"Hello," I answered breathlessly as I started opening my cake box and reached for the silverware drawer across the kitchen. (I had one of those extra long telephone cords. Remember those?)

"Mrs. Faulkner. This Dr. Walton's office. I just wanted to tell you your test came back and you have gestational diabetes," an anonymous nurse-type person said on the other end of the phone.

"What does that mean exactly?" I asked, with a chunk of hot fudge cake and whipped cream dripping off the end of a fork right in front of my face.

"It means STEP AWAY FROM THE CAKE," she said. No, no. Not really. But she might as well have said those words. I lowered the fork as she gave me instructions, growing angrier by the minute at my EX-friend Shelly.

It was going to be a very long pregnancy without sweets... and my EX-friend Shelly was going to pay dearly for causing me to miss my LAST piece of hot fudge cake for the next 25 weeks. Yes... she was most definitely going to pay!

My second little complication with Josh's pregnancy came in the form of a migraine. I had never had a migraine before his pregnancy, and I've had three or four a year since he joined the family. Hmmm. I wonder? (I'm not talking the worst migraines in the world either. I have friends who literally have to take two or three days off work because they are so sick. Mine, when I have them, are controlled with Excedrin Migraine and are hormone induced... or living with three men induced... or living with three men and Roxie induced. Whatever the reason, I did want to clarify they are not extremely severe.)

Also, because of the migraines, I visited Cullman's finest (paramedics) fairly often. When you have migraines and you're pregnant, sometimes the cause is high blood pressure. I would run to the Fire Department (one block from our house in Cullman), and they would give me a quick blood pressure check.

Actually, it was one of the highlights of my pregnancy. (I have a special place in my heart for paramedics. Basically, I think they do a difficult job very well and are wonderful additions to any community. The paramedics in my current little town are only 3 minutes and 42 seconds away. Unfortunately, we've had to call them a couple of times, so the time response mentioned above is a fact and not an estimation!)

Other than those two very small "problems," Josh's pregnancy went by pretty quickly. Especially since I was also taking care of an almost three year-old brother who was more than a little active. Austin was very excited waiting for his new baby brother to arrive.

As I said before, I was bound and determined NOT to have another C-Section. On the day Josh decided to make an appearance, I reiterated that fact to the registration nurse, the nurse who put in my IV, the aide who came in to get something she forgot in my bathroom and the doctor who was to deliver Josh a mere 14 hours later. I think I made myself abundantly clear.

When the time was right, I received my epidural. Things were going well. They had estimated Josh's weight to be around 8 pounds (more or less), and told me I shouldn't have any problem delivering him without the C-Section.

A few hours later, I received a "boost" for my epidural. Things were still going well, but slowly.

A few hours after that, I asked for another boost for my epidural. The doctor told me we were so close to delivering, "WE" didn't need the boost. "WE" were mistaken. I like to call Josh my "Little House on the Prairie" baby because by the time he was born, I had all the modern medical conveniences Laura Engalls' Ma had in the middle of said prairie during that time period (Code for NADA). I would have gladly taken a swig of whiskey and bitten on the nearest bullet.

Josh entered the world gnawing on his little fist weighing in at 9 pounds 12 ounces. Yes, he was 8 pounds (MORE or less).

I will say delivering a baby the "regular" way did have pros. But it definitely had cons, too. Before I left the hospital, I told my doctor one thing. "I'm coming back in three years. I've had a C-Section. I've had a regular delivery. You've got three years to come up with an alternative way to have a kid." And then I took my bouncing baby boy home to meet his really bouncing almost three year-old brother!

And then the fun really began!

Homecoming Breakfast

By the time I got in touch with my friend yesterday, it was too late to post this idea on yesterday's blog... So I carried it over one day. Consider it a bonus!

There are MANY, MANY Homecoming traditions for families with teenagers. I repeat... MANY.

However, my friend, Susan Peacock, had a cute, doable, fun idea, and with her permission, I am sharing it with you today.

Susan has teenagers, but she also has younger children, too. I love that she prepared a Rocket Homecoming Candlelight Breakfast for her crew.

She set the table with paper football plates and napkins, Rocket shakers and good ol' breakfast food. (Prepare whatever food your family enjoys!)

They were able to enjoy a nice family meal before one of the busiest days of the high school season. Because of the different ages and stages of kids in a family, and the different places everyone has to be throughout Homecoming Day, this is a wonderful way to come together before everything gets a little (or a lot) "hectic."

Love it! I'll try anything to cut down on chaos on a very busy, but fun, day.

Blog Linkage - I have some major good stuff today... especially if you like to cook (and eat). Let's get to it!

1. Go to www.kellehampton.com and scroll down to the post entitled "Bringing Fall" dated October 4. This girl likes the same things I do... in the same order! I think we could be friends.

2. Go to www.annies-eats.com and scroll down... Never mind. Read everything. Lots and lots of great recipes.

3. Go to www.cookiesandcups.com. Same as above. Read EVERYTHING! Try a new recipe TODAY!

4. Go to www.1000awesomethings.com... ALWAYS. I love the way this guy thinks. I've copied a few of his "awesome things," but you can go to his website and scroll through HUNDREDS of things that will make you smile and nod.

When you decide to go through the yellow light and the guy behind you goes, too.

When you arrive at your destination just as a great song ends on the radio.

When you ask the people in front of you if they’re in line and they’re not. (This is especially true if it's a BATHROOM line. And all the women said, "AMEN!")

The core of a cinnamon roll. (The best part. Always has been, always will be!)

Campfire Talk Dates

Campfire Talks are a series of educational and entertaining programs located in the great outdoors. Campfire programs are held almost every Friday and Saturday evening (May through October) in DeSoto’s James L. Wynn Campfire Ring in the Improved Campground.

All programs are open and FREE to the public. Seating is limited, so bring your own comfortable chair if you wish. In case of bad weather, programs are moved inside.

Corn - A Truly A-maize-ing Plant! - Join geographer Kelly Gregg in a discussion of the origins of Native American corn, how it shaped American culture and cuisine, and how it went on to help feed the world! Friday, October 7, 2011 from 7:00 p.m. to 8:00 p.m.

Moonshine - Moonshining began very early in American history and for early moonshiners, making and selling alcohol wasn't just for fun or a few extra bucks... it was a means of survival. Learn about the history of moonshining in the Appalachian Mountains. Saturday, October 8, 2011 from 7:00 p.m. to 8:00 p.m.

If you have a history-lovin' kid, this could be the perfect fall date for you and yours. The drive would be fun. The talk would be educational. And you could eat dinner before the campfire at the Lodge. (Been there. Done that. Would definitely do it again!)

As for The Faulkner Five, we're going to stick to the Fun Fall Drive Tradition. A new destination every Sunday afternoon spending time together in The Big Gold Van looking at the ever-changing fall foliage.

We are having a ball, I tell you! A ball!

Have a wonderful Thursday. Take time to encourage someone today... by word or deed. (And I'll do the same.) I'll be back tomorrow with Weekend Happenings, pics, A Josh Story and a little bit more.

Take care, and I'll talk to you in the morning.

Sincerely,

The Enchanting Belinda

No comments:

Post a Comment

Site Meter