Wednesday, October 5, 2011

Pumpkin Snickerdoodles, Homecoming Breakfast

Good Wednesday morning!

The Gallery Pics are from Josh's Tri-M Induction Monday night and his semi-birthday celebration yesterday. (The big stuff is coming this weekend!)

RANDOMNESS #1 - Today's the day. As soon as I finish the ol' blog, I'm headed to a new-to-me nursery in town and picking up some autumnal goodness for my front porch. I know I am technically FIVE days behind, but Homecoming, birthdays, football games and life got in the way just a bit.

I am excited.

RANDOMNESS #2 - Last night, we took Josh to YOLO'S for dessert. He has never been to YOLO'S, and I wanted to remedy that travesty.

As is my custom, I went to the gelato section (Italian ice cream) to look at all the new and interesting flavors. I asked for a TINY spoon of the Bellini. I had never heard of Bellini. I had no idea what Bellini was, but I am all about trying new things. Plus, it was yellow. I tend to like yellow food.

I popped the little spoon into my mouth, and immediately regretted my choice. "Oh. It's fruity. I don't want fruity." (I like my fruit on a tree, and heavy, heavy cream in my gelato!)

"That's because it's made with a bottle of Bellini Pink Champagne," the little guy behind the counter informed me. "We can't serve this gelato to people under 21 years of age."

Okay. This bothered me on so many levels, I'm going to have to make a list!

1. So he just ASSUMED I was over 21?

2. I have never had a drink in my life! And now because I tried a gelato flavor at a dessert place, I had tasted Pink Champagne? I was furious!

3. And they actually use real Pink Champagne instead of Pink Champagne flavoring?

4. And they don't post a warning?

5. And he just ASSUMED I was over 21?

Okay. If it is okay with you, I am going to maintain I have never had a drink... and I'm going to start asking about the ingredients of a new dish (or gelato) and not eat or drink something just because it is a pretty color.

Even at age 50, I continue to learn!

RANDOMNESS #3 - A Josh Story - Josh has always been the kid "most like me," so I thought we had a special, odd connection. I thought he would "work with me" and take up for me when some of my quirks started getting on other family members' nerves. The following is one of the few times the kid has let me down!

I've had several goals over the years. Mike says my goals make absolutely no sense, and are therefore useless... but I enjoy them. I'm going to go against my better judgment and share a few with you today. Since I can't see you looking at me like I'm an idiot, it will make it easier.

I had a goal when the kids were little to NOT lock them in the car while it was still running... and they were buckled in their car seats. I know wonderful mothers who have done this. It's not a reflection on them. It's just something I wanted to shoot for... and I made it! (DO NOT ask me how many times I slammed my purse, hand and/or foot in the car door before it closed to help meet this goal!)

I also had a goal my kids wouldn't have ear infections... ever. (I know you have that look on your face right now. You know the one. The "Belinda is an Idiot" look.) I realize this has nothing to do with my ability as a mother or nurse or whatever. I just thought it could be something to shoot for. And I thought I had made this goal... until one day when Josh was TEN YEARS-OLD.

"My ear hurts," he complained.

"Did you fall on it," I asked.

"No, it hurts when you pull on it and when I go to bed at night." Hmmm. What in the world could that be? I took him to the doctor.

"He has an ear infection," the doctor said, not even looking up.

"What? Are you sure?" I asked.

"Yes. I'm sure."

"Well, what do you call it when a ten year-old has an... you know... ear thingy?" I couldn't even bring myself to say the words.

"An ear infection," he answered slowly.

"Is there another name for this 'condition' when they are this old? Something in Latin perhaps?"

"It is an EAR INFECTION."

"Could it be swimmer's ear?" I tried again.

"It's January. Has he been swimming?"

"No. So for it to be swimmer's ear it requires him to have actually been swimming... recently?"

"Is there a problem?"

"No. No problem at all. But technically, if he isn't running a fever, we kind of caught it BEFORE it actually became an ear infection. Right?"

"He has an ear infection." Goal not met. It took me a long time to get over that one.

And for Josh to be the one to hinder me from meeting a goal... Well, that really hurt!

Another Josh Story tomorrow (or as you are probably calling them by now... A Poor Josh Story)!

Pumpkin Snickerdoodles

This recipe came from a website I will be sharing with you tomorrow. I am a maker of Snickerdoodle Cookies. Yes, indeed. But this woman is genius, I tell you. Just a little pumpkin puree' and you have a seasonal cookie "to die for."

You will need the following for the cookies:

3 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
1 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1 cup butter
1 cup sugar
1/2 cup light brown sugar
3/4 cup pumpkin puree
1 large egg
2 teaspoons vanilla extract

You will need the following for the coating:

1/2 cup sugar
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ginger
Dash of allspice

1. In a medium bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, salt, cinnamon and nutmeg. Whisk to blend and set aside.

2. In the bowl of an electric mixer, beat together the butter and sugars on medium-high speed until light and fluffy (2 to 3 minutes).

3. Blend in the pumpkin puree.

4. Beat in the egg and vanilla until incorporated.

5. With the mixer on low speed add in the dry ingredients and mix just until incorporated.

6. Cover and chill the dough for at least 1 hour.

7. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Line baking sheets with silicone baking mats or parchment paper.

8. Combine the sugar and spices for the coating in a bowl and mix to blend.

9. Scoop the dough (about 2 1/2 tablespoons) and roll into a ball. (I like to use a melon ball scooper.)

10. Coat the dough ball in the sugar-spice mixture and place on the prepared baking sheet. Space the dough balls 2 to 3 inches apart.

11. Dip the bottom of a flat, heavy-bottomed drinking glass in water, then in the sugar-spice mixture, and use the bottom to flatten the dough balls slightly. Recoat the bottom of the glass in the sugar-spice mixture as needed.

12. Bake the cookies for 10 to 12 minutes, or until just set and baked through.

The only thing that could possibly be better than Snickerdoodles... Pumpkin Snickerdoodles. (Just saying.)

Wednesday Wisdom - I may have used this quote before. I may have used this quote last week. I honestly cannot recall. But if I did, it was because I liked it... a lot.

"Delicious autumn! My very soul is wedded to it, and if I were a bird I would fly about the earth seeking the successive autumns.” George Eliot (I don't know what kind of bird I would be, but I would definitely do this!)

Homecoming Breakfast

DISCLAIMER - I haven't actually gotten permission to share this idea yet, so as soon as I get in touch with my friend, I'll be posting this great tradition! (Hopefully, by mid-afternoon!)

Have a great Wednesday. I have NEW websites for you to check out in tomorrow's Blog Linkage, A Josh Story, Randomness, a Date... and more, more, more.

Take care, and I'll talk to you in the morning.

Sincerely,

The Enchanting Belinda

No comments:

Post a Comment

Site Meter