Wednesday, August 3, 2011

More Back-to-School Traditions

Good Wednesday morning!

I have a special visitor in the Gallery this morning... as well as another nature shot. If you can't tell, I'm starting to replace people with animals and flowers. It's easier, I think.

RANDOMNESS - I'm ordering Josh's Senior portraits today. It appears I have "blinked" again, and another child has grown up. He looks incredibly handsome in his tux AND his casual shots. I'll be sharing some of those in the coming days. I'm afraid it is going to be one of those years that flies by.

I'm just praying I can remember to live it one day at a time. Hopefully, that will slow it down just a bit.

50 Things I've Learned in 50 Years (Amusement Parks)

3. Some things should not be tampered with or changed over time. The original should be left alone. (School starting AFTER Labor Day, milk delivered to your door by the milkman, watching movies without hideous 3D glasses, etc.). However, the wooden roller coaster of my childhood should be destroyed... blown up... annihilated. The steel roller coasters of today are "smooth sailing" compared to their wooden cousins from yesteryear. I actually have to take pain meds after I ride one now.

4. I can still ride any ride in the park. Things that go up, down, backwards, around and around, etc. However, after my fifth ride of the day, I tend to walk to the left... for the remainder of my day in the park AND six days after. I'm sure it has something to do with age, and the inner ear and the fact "almost" 50 year-olds aren't built to withstand 3 Gs... but it hasn't stopped me yet.

5. I have found when a ride "takes my stomach," I don't usually get it back for a week or so.

6. Never ride the "wet" rides until the end of the day. I spent years walking around in soggy clothes and tennis shoes in steamy amusement parks before finally figuring that one out as a young adult.

7. Oh. And if you're in your 30s or 40s, NEVER ride a water ride wearing light colored clothing... unless you're wearing dark colored granny panties. Just saying!

Wednesday Wisdom - As someone always trying to learn something new in the Parenting Department, today I give you some humorous "Tips on Raising Children."

"If your kids are giving you a headache, follow the directions on the aspirin bottle. Especially the part that says, 'Keep away from children.'" Susan Savannah (Genius. Pure genius.)

"Adolescence is perhaps nature's way of preparing parents to welcome the empty nest." Karen Savage and Patricia Adams (And all the parents said, "Hmmm.")

"A two year-old is kind of like having a blender, but you don't have a top for it." Jerry Seinfeld (Not unlike a 14 year-old!)

"The truth is that parents are not really interested in justice. They just want quiet." Bill Cosby

Amen... and amen!

More Back-to-School Traditions

I found a great new website today, and I'll share it with you tomorrow on Blog Linkage. These three ideas came straight from this fun blog.

1. When your child starts Kindergarten OR First Grade, have a giant cookie waiting for him/her when he/she returns home the first day. Write on the giant cookie with icing "1st Day of 1st Grade." This Mom's own Mother did this for her and her siblings when they were growing up.

You only RECEIVE the giant cookie the year you officially start school. And you have to share it with brothers and sisters AFTER you cut the first piece for the honoree.

2. When the kids step off the bus after the first day of school, have several bags of water balloons ready. As soon as the bus door closes, the bus pulls away and the kids start walking toward you... let them have it!

3. Have a specific "measuring" place somewhere in your home. A great time to measure kids is the FIRST day of school and the LAST day of school each year.

NOTE - Have this Bible verse written somewhere nearby the "measuring" place, and read it or recite to your children EVERY time you measure them.

"Grow in grace, and in the knowledge of our Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ. To him be glory both now and for ever. Amen.” 2 Peter 3:18

Have a lovely Wednesday. Take time to encourage someone today. Be kind to the people you come in contact with (fast food workers, grocery store clerks, phone solicitors, etc.) because you don't know what is going on in their lives. They may need some extra kindness bestowed upon them today.

I'll be back tomorrow with Blog Linkage and a Date... or two. You never know.

Take care, and I'll talk to you in the morning.

Sincerely,

The Enchanting Belinda

No comments:

Post a Comment

Site Meter