Wednesday, August 10, 2011

First Day of School Letters... Again

Good Wednesday morning!

The Gallery Pic is an oldie. It shows how much kids (even teenagers) can change in just two or three years' time. (I won't post the picture of me three years ago. I look exactly the same... only better. Trust me!)

ANNOUNCEMENT! ANNOUNCEMENT! ANNOUNCEMENT! - I've found a way for you to leave a comment for the blog. You have to go ALL THE WAY DOWN (below the pictures) and click on the tiny phrase "Leave a Response." Fill in the required info (not hard), and leave your comment!

It's not perfect, but it's better than nothing until I figure out a better way. Bear with me. I am trying!

RANDOMNESS #1 - The Faulkner Family Frat House is closed for the summer as of this morning. Brad and Tyler are heading home.

They were delightful Frat House guests, and I hope they will visit many more times.

If you ever feel the need to add two extra men to your household for a few days, I highly recommend these two. They are clean, polite and they make Austin jump when I call his name. Loved it!

RANDOMNESS #2 - I am behind posting the Picture of the Day in Belinda's Project Life. I have the photos. I just have to take a few minutes and put them where they belong.

Here's hoping I get that one little thing accomplished today!

I'm considering doing one more Picture of the Day blog beginning this August 26. I think I might name it "Fifty is Nifty... and Other Urban Myths." What do you think?

50 Things I've Learned in 50 Years (From Movies)

34. Steve Martin, who has no "real" children that I know of, is the BEST MOVIE DAD IN THE HISTORY OF THE WORLD. Feel free to watch Father of the Bride (1 and 2) and Cheaper by the Dozen (1 and 2). And now that I've been a parental unit for over 20 years, I am positive he is the BEST MOVIE DAD IN THE HISTORY OF THE WORLD because he DOESN'T have "real" children.

I was a much better parent prior to actually having kiddos.

35. I will never be truly happy and complete until I experience autumn in New York City... as evidenced by the beauty in You've Got Mail and When Harry Met Sally. I am an Alabama girl through and through, but those two movies make me want to spend October and November walking through Central Park.

36. Astronaut movies leave me feel unbelievably patriotic. I do not know why, but a good astronaut movie makes me want to stand up and sing the National Anthem. (Did I tell you about the time I saw John Glenn... and took a picture of him... against his wishes? Did I? Good story. Oh. And good picture, too.)

37. Movie going has been a favorite activity of mine for almost 50 years. A good movie, a bucket of popcorn and a giant (now diet) soda, and I'm one happy chick. I know. I am beyond simple.

Wednesday Wisdom - It only seems right (or should I say "correct") to share quotes about "Education." I don't know who all the people are that have been quoted, but they appear to be quite intelligent.

"When a subject becomes totally obsolete we make it a required course." Peter F. Drucker

"A man who has never gone to school may steal from a freight car; but if he has a university education, he may steal the whole railroad." Theodore Roosevelt

"The illiterate of the 21st century will not be those who cannot read and write, but those who cannot learn, unlearn, and relearn." Alvin Toffler (Can someone say, "Technology!")

"If a man empties his purse into his head, no man can take it away from him. An investment in knowledge always pays the best interest." Benjamin Franklin

"Education is too important to be left solely to the educators." Francis Keppel (I totally agree. Parents, grandparents, life experience, etc., etc. are fantastic teachers, too!)

First Day of School Letters... Again

I borrowed a tradition from two years ago. I know the odds of someone remembering this post is pretty slim... especially since I wrote it and have no recollection at all! But it is a good idea for what is fast approaching... The First Day of School.

This is more than just a note on a napkin in their lunchbox (although I LOVE those, too).

This is a full-blown letter of love, encouragement and scripture. This letter should include everything you want and pray for your child this coming school year. It should begin and end with declarations of love, and everything in the middle should be uplifting and confidence building. This letter should be the most wonderful thing they read all year long! And it should come from Mom and/or Dad.

Leave it on their pillow, taped to the mirror in the bathroom, or under their place mat at breakfast. Keep things simple. Do not put it in an elaborate scrapbook to save. You can use a plain manila envelope or a pocket folder. They can keep it in their room to read any time they want (or need), and you can add another letter each year.

It's a great way for your child to start the school year... knowing they are precious and special and loved.

Have a MOST wonderful Wednesday. Today is officially "Laundry Day" around here, and I plan on catching up with ALL my dirty clothes since all my washing/drying apparatus is now working correctly. I wish today was officially "Go Get a Pedicure and Forget About the Laundry Day," but that is not the case.

I'll be back tomorrow with Blog Linkage AND a date... and a few things more.

Take care, and I'll talk to you Thursday.

Sincerely,

The Enchanting Belinda

No comments:

Post a Comment

Site Meter