Thursday, August 25, 2011

Fifty is Nifty... And Other Urban Myths

Good Thursday morning!

The Gallery Pic is of Josh and Roxie this morning. They are having their school pictures made today, and I think they look marvelous. A Freshman and a Senior... and a Junior in college. My goodness. I'm old enough to be 50. Wait a minute...

RANDOMNESS #1 - I have the last four pictures for Belinda's Project Life, and I will be posting them some time today. Four pictures and my second picture-of-the-day blog will be complete. Unbelievable (to me)!

Beginning bright and early tomorrow morning, I will be starting a NEW PICTURE-OF-THE-DAY BLOG entitled "50 is Nifty... and Other Urban Myths." You can visit there regularly by clicking on the title under My Blog List.

RANDOMNESS #2 - I am heading to JSU for a short visit in a few minutes. I'm going to help Austin sanitize his dorm room and hang a couple of pictures. He'll be moving his big stuff (chair, television, refrigerator, etc., etc.) Monday morning. I'm just bringing (and using) cleaning supplies and bedding.

RANDOMNESS #3 - I'm posting Thursday's Date on Friday. I'm in a little bit of a time crunch this morning! I know you understand.

RANDOMNESS #4- Today is the LAST DAY I will be in my 40s. The LAST DAY!

This was a difficult decade for me. Very difficult. But I learned a lot. I leaned on God more and more... not less and less. I lived one day at a time. Oh. And I made a list of things I observed along the way. (You know I made a list!)

1. When I turned 40, my kids were 4, 7 and 10. They were so little. When I turn 50 tomorrow they will be 14, 17 and 20. They are now SO big. Heavy, heavy sigh.

2. When I turned 40, we were planning our first ever trip to Disney. It... was... magical! This year, we spent several days in the middle of a lake on a houseboat. It... was... peaceful! (Who knew "peaceful" would one day win over "magical?")

3. When I turned 40, Mikie was healthy... I was healthy... and all three of my kiddos were healthy. Ten years later, one of my children has been diagnosed with a chronic illness, and I don't take the word "healthy" for granted any longer.

4. When I turned 40, I had never experienced the grief of losing someone unexpectedly who was extremely close to me. As I turn 50 tomorrow, I am still dealing and living with that grief on a daily basis.

5. When I turned 40, all of my family lived under the same roof. When I turn 50 tomorrow, one of my three kids has been living on campus nine months a year (not counting weekends)... and I am surviving and thriving. (And so is he!)

6. When I turned 40, my hair was a lovely shade of auburn. Tomorrow when I turn 50 (and forevermore), my hair will be a lovely shade of auburn.

7. When I turned 40, most of "me" was in the still in the vicinity of where it was supposed to be. When I turn 50 tomorrow, I will have to admit gravity has taken a toll, but thanks to Spanx, I will hoist everything back in place for the majority of the day!

8. When I turned 40, I mourned the fact I didn't have "just one more baby." When I turn 50 tomorrow, I will be so thankful for the three I have, and I will dedicate the next decade to "finishing what I started."

9. When I turned 40, I didn't think I could love Mikie any more than I did at that moment in time. On the threshold of turning 50 tomorrow, I realize I was wrong.

10. When I turned 40, Mikie and the kids took me out to eat and to a movie. My favorite thing in the whole wide world. Ten years later... Mikie is taking me out to eat and to a movie. My favorite thing in the whole wide world! (Oh. And I'm having a family party with the kids, etc. Saturday night! I didn't want you to think I was leaving them out!)

Ten years ago, I would have said, "I can't wait to see what the next decade brings." I am older and wiser now. Today I will simply say, "Thank you, Lord, for today." Yep. I'll say that... and I'll try to find all the joy "today" has to offer.

Blog Linkage - I just have three today, but they are good ones!

1. Go to eighteen25 under My Blog List and scroll down to the post entitled "Circle Punch Photo Collage" dated August 23. If you are a scrapbooker, you will love this idea. And if you are NOT a scrapbooker, but you have kids, you will love this idea.

2. Go to Nesting Place under My Blog List and read the post entitled "DIY Wreath Linky Party" dated August 24. If you are crafty... and you like wreaths... and you have some plastic spoons around the house... you will LOVE this post!

3. Go to Big Mama under My Blog List and read the post entitled "The heat and crafts have made me cranky" dated August 25. If you think it is hot in Alabama, this post will make you feel cool and autumnal. This chick is roasting in Texas. We should give thanks!

Have a terrific Thursday. It is the best day of the week! I'll be back tomorrow with a short post about our Weekend Happenings, a Date and some pics from JSU.

Take care, and I'll talk to you in the morning.

Sincerely,

The Enchanting Belinda

No comments:

Post a Comment

Site Meter