Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Hoppin John Beans

Good Wednesday morning!

Since everyone was talking about Elvis yesterday, I have added some pictures of Graceland from our Memphis trip a few years ago to the Gallery. I LOVED that trip.

RANDOMNESS #1 - As I told you last night, we are going to be on a different schedule this week.

Wednesday - Recipes
Thursday - Wednesday Wisdom and Seasonal Tradition
Friday - Blog Linkage, Dates AND Weekend Happenings

This change is for THIS WEEK ONLY. A Simple Life will be back to normal next Monday... whatever "normal" is.

RANDOMNESS #2 - Yesterday was Elvis' death anniversary. I was 16 years-old when Elvis passed away at age 42. Forty-two seemed ancient at the time, but I now know how incredibly young he was when he died.

I heard Rick and Bubba talking about their favorite Elvis song yesterday afternoon. I think they decided on The Trilogy. Don't get me wrong. The Trilogy is epic, but for me, without a doubt, the favorite is I Can't Help Falling in Love With You. Oh... my... goodness. How I love that song!

Well, that one and Girls! Girls! Girls! It wasn't one of his "big" hits, but for some reason, I still find myself singing it from time to time.

Have I told you the story about going to see Elvis in concert when I was 15? Have I? Do you mind if I tell you again? I didn't think so.

I have always been an Elvis fan. Always. My cousin, Becky, and I would spend the night with each other whenever an Elvis movie was on TV and watch it from start to finish. This, of course, was before video, DVD, DVR recording, etc., etc. No one or nothing was to disturb us during the two-hour movie event. Nada!

I don't think I had a favorite Elvis movie, but I remember not caring for the cowboy Elvis very much. It's hard to break out into an "Elvis diddy" when you are starring in a semi-serious cowboy movie. And breaking out into an "Elvis diddy" was what an Elvis movie was all about, wasn't it?

Well, back to the original story. When I was 15 years-old, I had a friend who was an extreme Elvis fan. Her mother was also an extreme Elvis fan. Put all of this together with an upcoming Elvis concert in our city in 1976, and you have ME receiving an invite to attend the concert with my friend and her mom. Can you say HAPPY?

I was beyond excited.

Not only was it my FIRST EVER CONCERT... It was Elvis!

I feel the need to make this a two-or three-parter. I want to do the story justice since it has now been categorized as one of the Top Ten Life-Altering Moments of MY LIFE! You may think I'm kidding. It almost knocked The Birth of Roxie off the list!

More Elvis tomorrow... and probably Friday, too.

Hoppin John Beans

My friend, Julie, told me about this recipe. She found it on www.amazingribs.com and tried it last week. Her entire family of five loved it... and I think I can see why.

You will need the following:

2 tablespoons vegetable oil
2 smoked ham hocks
1 green bell pepper (coarsely chopped)
1 large onion (coarsely chopped)
4 cloves of garlic (pressed or coarsely chopped)
2 teaspoons hot pepper flakes
3 bay leaves
4 cups chicken broth
1 can (15 ounces) black-eyed peas (drained and rinsed)
1 cup white rice
1/4 teaspoon table salt
1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper

NOTE - About the ham hocks. Many grocers sell smoked ham hocks. They add flavor and a rich tactile sensation from the skin and connective tissue and the marrow which dissolve while it cooks. Some of them have very little meat. Select two with meat. If you can't find hocks, you can substitute half pound smoked ham, bacon or leftover pulled pork.

1. Get a large pot hot and add the oil. Add the ham hock, onion, green pepper, garlic, pepper flakes and the bay leaf. If you cannot find a ham hock, you can use bacon. Just skip the vegetable oil and start by cooking the bacon in the bottom of the pot and pour off all the bacon grease except 2 tablespoons.

2. When the onions are limp, add the chicken broth and bring to a boil. Add the beans, bring back to a boil and dial it back to a simmer quickly. Do not boil for more than a minute or two. Simmer for at least an hour.

3. Remove the bay leaf and if you use ham hocks, cut off the meat, add it to the pot, and discard the bones and skin.

4. Add the rice and simmer with the cover on for about 25 minutes or until the rice is tender and most of the liquid is absorbed. Serve with salt and pepper at table.

Have a fantastic Wednesday. The weekend is in sight now, and the first week of school will soon be behind us. Make sure to enjoy at least some part of today... and I will try to do the same!

Take care, and I'll talk to you in the morning.

Sincerely,

The Enchanting Belinda

No comments:

Post a Comment

Site Meter