Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Run, Baby, Run!

Good Wednesday morning!

That's right! It's already Wednesday morning. How did that happen?

I have the last of the Easter pics in the Gallery today. I know you'll be happy. I tend to hold onto a holiday a little longer than most, but after today's post, I'll be ready for Mother's Day!

RANDOMNESS #1 - I'll be speaking this Saturday at Oak Grove First Baptist W.I.L.D. Women Tablescapes (Women Intentionally Living Daily for Christ). I'm very excited, and I've been busy getting my many wayward thoughts together in one cohesive, non-rambling talk. Not an easy task.

Especially when I need a new outfit. The speaking part will take care of itself if only I have a new outfit. (NOT!)

I'e been shopping several times to no avail. I absolutely, positively did not want another black outfit. I wanted something colorful, springy and fun... like me!

That must explain why yesterday I went shopping one last time and picked out a beautiful pair of black trousers and a longish, three-quarter length sleeve, flowy jacket/over top. It is white with tan and black markings all over it.

It is lovely and slenderizing and not unlike 50 percent of everything else in my closet right now.

But I'm wearing it... because I'm a W.I.L.D. Woman! Yes, I am!

No. No, I am not.

I may look exactly the same as I always look, but the talk is coming along nicely. I think I'm going to put all my energy into perfecting "the talk." Today, I'm going to work on breathing and NOT saying "uh."

I lead an exciting life.

RANDOMNESS #2 - I promised my brother-in-law, Tommy, he could have an easy Easter this year. Most years, he is running around a mall chasing and photographing teenagers (Amazing Race - Easter Style), driving around Trussville in search of the elusive inflatable purple Easter Bunny (Easter Video Scavenger Hunt) or starting fires with a piece of flint and some straw (Survivor - Easter Island).

He was tired.

He wanted an Easter nap.

He deserved an Easter nap.

So this year (and this year only), I caved.

I decided to make Easter bags for all the cousins. I then bought a TON of Dollar Store Candy, and we played a series of games.

The first game was Spoons. Of the six kids playing, whoever lost and didn't get a spoon that round DID NOT get a piece of candy put into their bag. (We played six rounds of Spoons.)

Next, we played Farkle. When you roll the dice and have no points, that is called a Farkle, and the next player gets to take a turn. Whenever someone had a Farkle, everyone else got candy except for the "Farkler."

After playing Farkle awhile, the bags were getting pretty full.

To end the competition, every kid had to roll the five dice three times. For every "five" they rolled, they received a piece of candy in their bag.

Then it was time to count the candy.

The three top winners each won a $10 Regal Gift Certificate... and everyone won a bag of candy.

The only "Easter-y" thing about this year's competition was the colorful Easter bags filled with candy.

That, and the happy teens with movie cards!

Next year, Tommy... Easter - Whose Line Is It?

RANDOMNESS #3 - I know it's a month away, but just in case you're interested, I wanted to put the information out there.

My friend, Tonya (a TWO-time cancer survivor), is heading up this year's Pink Ribbon Run - 5K Fun Run/Walk, Friday, May 11 at 6:00 p.m. at Gardendale Soccer Field (on Fieldstown Road). This will be the third Run Tonya has organized... and she does a fantastic job.

Roxie and I will be walking in this Run, and we'd like for you to join us if you possibly can. Let me know if you are interested, and I will get the information, forms, etc. you need to sign up.

Also, on May 12 at 9:00, my family, Bev's family and my Mom will be walking in the 9th Annual MotherWalk which supports the Norma Livingston Ovarian Cancer Foundation. The race will be held in Crestline Village across from the Emmett O’Neal Library. Our team name is Team Tootsie in honor of my Mom who has fought Ovarian Cancer this past year.

Not only will we be wearing cute shirts and hats, but the family is planning on eating at La Paz after the walk (Tommy's idea... and everyone seconded it).

On Sunday, May 13 (Mother's Day), we will DRIVE to visit the Mothers. We will NOT walk/jog/run. We will DRIVE!

Again, if you're interested, let me know and I'll put you in touch with the right people, forms, etc.

Wednesday Wisdom - In honor of all those fighting cancer today, and for all the survivors who have fought and moved on, I would like to dedicate Wednesday Wisdom to you. (Jill, Dee, Tonya and Mom.)

"My cancer scare changed my life. I'm grateful for every new, healthy day I have. It has helped me prioritize my life." Olivia Newton-John

"Attitude is a little thing that makes a big difference." Winston Churchill

"Once you choose hope, anything's possible." Christopher Reeve

"Oh, my friend, it's not what they take away from you that counts. It's what you do with what you have left." Hubert Humphrey

"The only disability in life is a bad attitude." Scott Hamilton

Run, Baby, Run

I've used this one before, but it bears repeating. Pick a 5K Run/Walk each year and participate as a family. Make sure it is for a great cause, and enjoy that time with your family doing something wonderful together.

To choose your Walk/Run, just Google "5K Walks in Alabama." A HUGE list will appear with the name of the walk, date, time and what (if anything) it sponsors.

The following two races are just a tiny sampling of what is coming up in our area...

1. The 5K Trot for Tots 2012

This Run will be held at Fort McClellan Duck Pond, Saturday, April 14, 2012.

Race Begins - 8:00 a.m.

Autism affects 1 in every 110 children! Most aren't diagnosed until age 3 and more are without therapy until school age! Since first opening in 2008, The Little Tree Preschool proudly provides specialized services and individualized support to children struggling with Autism. We hope that you will come out to celebrate National Autism Awareness Month AND support The Little Tree Preschool and the incredible children we serve!

The 5K Trot for Tots 2012 will do your HEART good in more than one way!

2. The 2012 Run for Kids Challenge

Entrants in the Trail Run Festival may select the distance they want to run, from a 5K all the way up to 12 hours.

ONE HUNDRED PERCENT of Proceeds go directly to Camp Smile-A-Mile, Alabama’s program for children with cancer.

The Run is scheduled for Saturday, May 5 at Oak Mountain State Park.

Races Begin - 7:00 a.m.

This is the perfect run for a “First-Ultra” or anyone who just wants to see what a trail race is like.

If you have been wanting to try a 50K or longer run, this is the event for you. The race will be held on the new Lake Trail around Double Oak Lake, the swimming and canoeing lake. The trail circles the lake with gently rolling hills and beautiful views of the lake. There are a few roots, but not technical terrain and the trail is easy to run. (No trail shoes needed.) The three-plus mile loop is about 75 percent in shade and runners will pass by the aid station every three miles, so supplies and water are never far away.

There will be a cookout following the 50K and 12-Hour run.

Come out and give it a try. Your entry fee goes to a great cause, and it will be a lot of fun.

Have a lovely Wednesday. I hope your "To Do" List is three pages long... and you complete each and every thing on that list! I'll be back tomorrow with Blog Linkage and a fun Date or two.

Take care, and I'll talk to you in the morning.

Sincerely,

The Enchanting Belinda

No comments:

Post a Comment

Site Meter