Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Crowd-Pleasing Taco Salad

Good Tuesday morning!

Katie and I had a mini-photo shoot Easter afternoon. Those pics are in the Gallery this morning.

RANDOMNESS #1 - Okay. It's official, so I can tell you about it now. One of my "dates" is going to be featured on The Dating Divas blog! How about that? I don't know when, but as soon as I know, you will know. Because we're BFFs, and all.

And guess what else? Austin and Melia's pictures (taken by me while they are on the date) are going to be featured. How about that?

It's very exciting (to me), and thus, in my "me, me, me" way of thinking, it must be exciting to you, too.

Or maybe not. Maybe you're all caught up in that "I have a life, too" mentality.

Don't worry. I love you anyway!

And you'll be the first to know when it is featured. (Probably in the year 2016!)

RANDOMNESS #2 - Things I've Learned While Raising Teens... A Humbling Experience

Too Matchy - When I was growing up, matching was very, very hip. When you had a new outfit, you wanted matching shoes, earrings, lipstick, purse, etc. It was an all-important part of grooming.

Girls and women desired to look "put together."

The other day, Roxie wore a very pretty ecru lace t-shirt with denim capris. It just so happened, she had a pair of ecru flats with LACE on the toes of the shoes. To the average observer, it appeared she bought the shoes because they were the perfect match to the top.

Not so.

The shoes were on sale and she liked them, so they were purchased. We had no idea they matched the ecru lace top... until Sunday afternoon.

Roxie came downstairs in the outfit wearing her gray Toms. Cute, but not a PERFECT MATCH.

"Why don't you wear your ecru lace flats? They look like they were made to go with that outfit," I innocently suggested.

"I can't," she replied.

"Why not? Have your feet grown?"

"It's just too, too matchy," she said.

Too, too matchy? What did that mean?

But in my heart of hearts, I already knew.

Matching is not important to this generation of teens.

And it breaks my heart.

Roxie wears Nike shorts to Athletics in the afternoon. Every time we have bought a pair of Nike shorts, I have picked up a matching t-shirt to purchase with the shorts.

"That's okay, Mom. I'll wear my light blue t-shirt... or my olive green t-shirt... or my red t-shirt. I just need the shorts."

"But the shorts are neon orange with gray stripes. Your blue, olive green and red t-shirts do not go with neon orange and gray stripes. Plus, you have gray and teal tennis shoes. PLUS, you have on one black sock and one gray/purple sock. I'm afraid the other teenagers will point and laugh at you," I counter.

"Mom. No one matches. They would laugh and point if I DID match."

It goes against every fiber of my being, but I purchase the neon orange and gray striped shorts.

She wears them the next day with the light blue t-shirt, the black sock and the gray/purple sock and her gray and teal tennis shoes.

Then, just to push me over the edge, she adds her yellow Polo cap.

"Roxie. You are wearing 32 different colors for your Athletic class. Surely there's a school rule or something about wearing 32 different colors at one time."

"Mom. I look fabulous. You worry too much."

And with a swish of her bright auburn ponytail (yet another color that doesn't match anything she is wearing), she is off.

I do want you to know, her school clothes and church clothes match. And her earrings and shoes match her school and church outfits. For some reason, that is important.

But the purse... Well, the purse matches nothing. Never has. Never will.

What do I know. I'm a 50 year-old mother who still buys earrings to match my bathing suit cover up... which matches my bathing suit... which matches my flip flops.

I bet teenagers all over Alabama are laughing at me!

Crowd-Pleasing Taco Salad

We're having this for dinner tonight. I have every single ingredient in my house (except for a head of lettuce and corn chips). I will spend a total of $4 this Tuesday... which will make Mikie very happy! Being an accountant, he loves $4 days!

You will need the following:

1 pound ground beef
1/2 cup ketchup
1 teaspoon dried oregano
1 teaspoon chili powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
1 medium head iceberg lettuce, torn
2 medium tomatoes, diced
1 cup (4 ounces) shredded Mexican cheese blend
1/2 cup mayonnaise
1/4 cup taco sauce
1 package (10-1/2 ounces) corn chips

1. In a large saucepan, cook beef over medium heat until no longer pink. Drain.

2. Stir in the ketchup, oregano, chili powder, salt and pepper. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat. Cover and simmer for 10 minutes.

3. In a large bowl, combine the lettuce, tomatoes, cheese and beef mixture.

4. Combine mayonnaise and taco sauce. Pour over salad and toss to coat.

5. Sprinkle with corn chips. Serve immediately.

We are a taco salad "eating" people. We love it. This recipe sounds great because I will place one huge bowl in the center of the table, and I will be done!

I don't know about the other Faulkner Family members, but I'm looking forward to tonight!

Have a great Wednesday. I'll be back tomorrow with more Easter pics, Wednesday Wisdom, a Seasonal Tradition, Randomness and more, more, more.

Take care, and I'll talk to you in the morning.

Sincerely,

The Enchanting Belinda

No comments:

Post a Comment

Site Meter