Tuesday, April 3, 2012

Baked Oatmeal with Strawberries, Bananas, and Chocolate

Good Tuesday morning!

The Gallery pics today include LAST month's Paula Deen Recipe Challenge recipe (which I have NOT prepared yet), and THIS month's Paula Deen Recipe Challenge recipe (which I have NOT prepared yet).

Don't judge me. I WILL prepare both dishes this month. I WILL!

I'm blaming last month's "miss" on Austin's unexpected appendectomy. It threw me off my game. I would take all the blame myself, but we all know that's not going to happen.

RANDOMNESS #1 - The Pioneer Woman will be in Birmingham, Alabama at Brookwood Colonial Village tomorrow evening.

The Enchanting Belinda will be in Birmingham, Alabama at Brookwood Colonial Village tomorrow evening.

Cookbook... CHECK!

Camera... CHECK!

Charged battery in the camera... CHECK!

Bathroom Line Buddy (a/k/a Mikie)... CHECK!

New Pioneer Woman "flowy" top... CHECK!

You didn't really think I'd meet a celebrity wearing just any ol' thing, did you? Nope. The top you see me wearing in Thursday morning's Gallery pics will be my one and only Pioneer Woman top, and each and every time I see her from here to eternity, I will be wearing said top.

Again, don't ask me why.

RANDOMNESS #2 - My Pinterest file on "Easter" is huge. HUGE, I tell you! It is filled to the brim with wonderful, new ideas for Easter dishes, decorating Easter Eggs, etc., etc.

My favorite right now is called the "Bunny Butt Cake," and if you can imagine a bunny with it's head burrowed in a hole (and the bunny butt sticking up and out of the hole), then you've got the correct picture in your head.

Except the cake is pink.

With pink frosting.

And coconut.

And a marshmallow puff tail.

So cute. Yes. I'm thinking a Bunny Butt Cake would make the perfect Easter dessert. Especially for my family.

RANDOMNESS #3 - The Dance Moms mid-season finale is being watched tonight by me and Roxie. (What does mid-season finale mean?)

From the previews, Roxie and I have gathered Maddy (the best dancer at Abby Lee Dance Studio) freezes during her audition in front of a major ballet company.

We also believe from watching said previews, Abby Lee cries and walks out of the studio and the lives of her dancers (and the lives of the pathetic creatures watching her week in and week out on television)... never to return.

And then we think the Moms have a big party to celebrate.

We've been wrong before... but not often.

Tonight is going to be a good night!

Baked Oatmeal with Strawberries, Bananas and Chocolate

I like flavored oatmeal. I like it very much. So when I saw this recipe on Pinterest, I knew I wanted to try it.

NOTE - I haven't prepared the Bacon Cheese Potatoes from last week's recipe post either. Again, I will blame Austin's unexpected appendectomy.

Just so you know, I will be blaming Austin's unexpected appendectomy for many things over the next few months and years... unexplained weight gain, missing the first song (or more) in each and every church service I attend, etc., etc.

But enough about me and my many "issues" (many of them caused by Austin's unexpected appendectomy two weeks ago). Let's get cooking!

You will need the following:

2 cups old-fashioned rolled oats
1/3 cup light brown sugar
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 tablespoon grated orange zest
1 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup pecan pieces, chopped
1 cup sliced strawberries
1/3 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
2 cups milk
1 large egg
3 tablespoons butter, melted
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 ripe banana, peeled, 1/4" slices

1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees.

2. Spray a 9" x 13" baking dish with cooking spray.

3. In a large bowl, mix together oats, sugar, baking powder, orange zest, cinnamon, salt, half the nuts, half the strawberries and half the chocolate chips.

4. In a separate bowl, whisk together the milk, eggs, butter and vanilla.

5. Pour the dry ingredients in the baking dish and spread out evenly. Top with remaining strawberries, nuts and chocolate, as well as the banana slices.

6. Pour the milk mixture over the top of the oat mixture and wiggle the pan ever so gently to make sure all of the dry ingredients are covered.

7. Bake for 35 to 40 minutes, until the oatmeal is set and all liquid is absorbed. It will be slightly browned.

8. If you want, you can sprinkle on a little more brown sugar and pop it under the broiler for a minute or two. That creates a really nice little sugar crust on top of the oatmeal. Just be careful not to burn it!

She had me at "really nice little sugar crust."

Put this one on your list of "Things to Try." (I know you have one!)

Have a great Tuesday. I'll be back tomorrow with TWO Easter traditions... one for younger children and one for teens.

Take care, and I'll talk to you in the morning.

Sincerely,

The Enchanting Belinda

No comments:

Post a Comment

Site Meter