Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Not Yo' Mama's Banana Pudding

Good Tuesday morning!

Miscellaneous pics in the Gallery today. I just wanted to give you a head's up!

RANDOMNESS #1 - Guess what? I've waited until the last day of January to prepare my Paula Deen January Recipe. That's right. I'm shocked, too.

I left at 6:45 this morning and ran to the store to buy the ingredients which were missing from my pantry, and some time this glorious Tuesday, I will be attempting to make Ham and Black-Eyed Pea Cake "Benedict."

This recipe calls for a poached egg. I have never poached an egg. I have never even eaten a poached egg.

I like eggs. I like them scrambled, fried, hard boiled and over-easy. I guess because I like eggs served in the aforementioned styles, I've never felt the need to branch out to the "poached" version.

But all that changes today.

Yes. There will be pictures tomorrow.

RANDOMNESS #2 - I will also be unveiling the February Paula Deen Recipe tomorrow. The one that takes 25 hours of prep time. (I am NOT kidding!) The one that is listed as "moderate" in the difficulty rating.

I may have bitten off more than I can chew... literally!

RANDOMNESS #3 - Things I've Learned While Raising Teens... A Humbling Experience - I tell you, I could write a book about this subject! Or a blog. Or a couple of paragraphs.

Driving - As most parents of teens, I dreaded the "learning how to drive" portion of this season of life.

As far as I was concerned, no one knew my teen as well as I did... and there was NO WAY that kid was ready to get behind the wheel of a car. NO WAY!

And yet, the 15th birthday and acquisition of the all-important "Learner's Permit" has come for all three of my teens. A rite of passage. A time of celebration in "Teen World."

A time of fear and trepidation for parents everywhere. (If you don't know what I'm talking about, one day you will, my friend. One day you will!)

Austin was a cautious driver. He was slow. He always had two hands on the wheel. They were white-knuckled, but they were both on the wheel at all times. He was law abiding.

He absolutely terrified me. Mikie was his "main" go-to parent for driving lessons... and that was fine with me.

Joshua was a confident driver. He did the speed limit or four miles above it. He had ONE hand on the wheel at all times. It was relaxed, fingers drumming, but it was on the wheel. He stopped before hitting the cars in front of him, but he wasn't in a big hurry to do so. His favorite phrase to use while I was in the car "teaching" him to drive was, "Relax, Mom. I've got this."

He absolutely terrified me. Mikie was his "main" go-to parent for driving lessons... and that was fine with me.

Roxie is an exuberant and eager driver. She wants to drive each and every day. She wants to drive everywhere we go. As I would have guessed having ridden with Roxie for 15 years in the passenger seat, she has a bit of road rage.

Too slow drivers, too fast drivers, too old drivers (50 and older), too swervy drivers, too cautious drivers... Well, let's just say they get on her very last nerve, and she likes to vocalize her feelings. A lot.

She absolutely terrifies me. Mikie is her "main" go-to parent for driving lessons... and that is fine with me.

As a woman who so wants the words "Utterly Awesome Mother of Teenagers" inscribed on her headstone, I do worry that because I was unable to teach any of my children to drive I will be disqualified from using the title.

I asked Roxie recently, "How does your Dad do when you drive?"

"Fine," she replied.

"I mean, does he ever yell or cover his face or pull his hair? Does he ever let a curse word slip? You can tell me. I won't tell a soul!"

"No. He's really laid back. I mean, if I surprise him, he might let out a little scream. But for the most part, he's a really good teacher."

"So he's a better teacher than me?" I finally just say the words out loud.

"Are you kidding? He is SO much better than you." And with those words ringing in my ears, I stop the inquisition. If I continue, it will only get worse.

Can someone legally have the words "Utterly Awesome Mother of Teenagers" on her headstone if she is absolutely the WORST driving teacher in the history of the world.

I'm going to have to make some phone calls today. I'll let you know the answer to that question tomorrow!

Not Yo' Mama's Banana Pudding

Okay. This recipe is from Pinterest... which was pinned by a girl who found it on a website... and the girl from the website found it on the Food Network website... and it is a Paula Deen recipe.

I made it EXACTLY like the Pinterest recipe, and it was very, very good.

You will need the following:

1 box Nilla Wafers
6 to 8 bananas, sliced
3 cups milk
2 small boxes instant French vanilla pudding
1 8-ounce package cream cheese, softened
1 14-ounce can sweetened condensed milk
1 container Cool Whip, thawed

1. Line the bottom of a 13" x 9" dish with Nilla Wafers, and layer bananas on top.

2. In a bowl, combine the milk and pudding mix and blend well using a handheld electric mixer.

3. Using another bowl, combine the cream cheese and condensed milk together and mix until smooth.

4. Fold the whipped topping into the cream cheese mixture.

5. Add the cream cheese mixture to the pudding mixture and stir until well blended.

6. Pour the mixture over the cookies and bananas, and cover with the remaining cookies.

7. Refrigerate until ready to serve.

Oh... my... goodness! It is so good, but very rich.

If it helps, try to remember this is basically a fruit dessert. Basically!

Have a wonderful Tuesday! I'll be back in the morning with Paula Deen recipe pictures, the February Paula Deen Recipe Reveal, Wednesday Wisdom and a Seasonal Tradition.

Take care, and I'll talk to you tomorrow.

Sincerely,

The Enchanting Belinda

P.S. Remember... If you are unable to leave a comment on the blog (because you do not have a Google Account), leave a message on Facebook or via e-mail at mfaulkner1306@charter.net.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Site Meter