Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Disaster Relief... Helping Others as a Family

Good Wednesday morning!

The Gallery Pics are from the past weekend, anniversary and a trip to Whole Foods, and my sister's house which was hit by the tornado early Monday morning.

Wednesday Wisdom - I just picked two quotes today, and guess what? They are about storms.

"I am not afraid of storms, for I am learning how to sail my ship." Louisa May Alcott (I love this one.)

"Storms make the oak grow deeper roots." George Herbert

Disaster Relief... Helping Others as a Family

I'm listing today's topic under Seasonal Traditions. Unfortunately, Alabama does have a "season" for tornadoes... and it came a little early this year.

I just want to mention something I saw yesterday which was SO helpful, and it is definitely doable.

Around 11:30, a woman and her two grandchildren walked slowly down the street. One girl was pulling a rolling cooler filled with ice and soft drinks. Another girl carried around six boxes of Little Caesar's pepperoni pizzas. The grandmother had a bag on her arm carrying snack bars and napkins.

They stopped in front of each and every house. You could see men climbing off bulldozers, heavy equipment and roofs. Families stopped what they were doing and gathered around them. Everyone took a minute or two to enjoy a slice of pizza and a cold drink before getting back to the daunting task of cleaning, sorting and moving debris.

I thought it was great idea.

My sister lives at the end of a very long street, so I'm assuming they started out with more than ten boxes before they began walking through the devastated neighborhood. By the time they walked to the end of the street and started their way back to their car at the other end of the street, they only had two-thirds of one pizza left.

They met a need. Anyone could do this or something similar. The grandmother was teaching a very valuable lesson to her granddaughters. One I don't think they'll ever forget.

As a family, you could even start a Tornado Envelope and begin saving a specific amount of money each payday ($10 or $20) to specifically use when something like this happens in and around our community.

DISCLAIMER - There are always, always many opportunities to help during these times. Sorting clothes at a distribution center. Picking up debris in yards. Helping people pack their belongings for moving to storage. The list goes on and on and on. I just thought if I saw something different during the next week or so, I'd share it with you.

I hope you have a wonderful Wednesday. I'll be back tomorrow with Blog Linkage, a Date and maybe some more new ideas (to me) about helping others during such a time as this!

Take care, and I'll talk to you in the morning.

Sincerely,

The Enchanting Belinda

No comments:

Post a Comment

Site Meter