Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Leap Year Fun AND Valentine's Day Car Decorations (An Oldie)

Good Wednesday morning!

The Gallery Pics are from last night's Paula Deen January Recipe Challenge. I did it! I successfully made Ham and Black-Eyed Pea Cake "Benedict." I poached eggs. I did awesome! Roxie actually ate TWO!

And I've also added the pictures for the Paula Deen February Recipe Challenge. We're going to be eating rose petals, Folks. Well, rose petals covered in sugar. I'll eat anything covered in sugar.

RANDOMNESS #1 - If you have known me two minutes, you know math is NOT my "thing." That's right. I am not a mathematical genius in any way, shape or form. So when I told you last month I would be having a Contest in February celebrating my 1,000th post, I was mistaken.

In reality, my 1,000th post is 153 posts away. (I know. It's sad when a 50 year-old woman cannot add. And just so you know, I checked my math three times before I posted the incorrect information. Heavy, heavy sigh!)

There will still be a contest, but you can relax. It will not be held in February.

More details later. Much, much later.

RANDOMNESS #2 - We are six years into Josh's OCD. While I do not discuss it on the blog these days because it isn't my story to tell any longer, he has given permission for people to read Josh's Journey which can be found on my sidebar at my old website address (www.belindafaulkner.blogspot.com).

If you haven't read it, please take time to do so.

It was the number one reason I started A Simple Life almost four years ago.

Wednesday Wisdom - Valentine's Day will be here before you know it. The next three Wednesdays I will be featuring "love" quotes in honor of this sweet holiday.

"If you live to be a hundred, I want to live to be a hundred minus one day so I never have to live without you." A. A. Milne (In case you didn't know, Winnie-the-Pooh says this while holding hands with his dear friend, Piglet. I love Winnie-the-Pooh.)

"For it was not into my ear you whispered, but into my heart. It was not my lips you kissed, but my soul." Judy Garland (I didn't know Miss Judy was so deep, did you?)

"I'll love you, dear, I'll love you till China and Africa meet and the river jumps over the mountain and the salmon sing in the street." W. H. Auden (I have to admit, if someone said this to me face-to-face, I would feel very uncomfortable... for them.)

Leap Year Fun

Since this February is Leap Year, I'm going to be posting some activities for families with young children the next few weeks.

1. Talk about leaping animals. Ask your kids to find pictures of animals that leap (frogs, kangaroos, etc.).

2. Find a Leap Frog - Buy some little plastic frogs. Make up about six boxes of Jello following the directions on the Jello package and add food coloring to make the Jello black. Put the frogs in a big Rubbermaid container and pour the Jello over the frogs after it has started to thicken. Tell the kids the frogs are living in the black swamp and they have to dig in the dirt to find their frog. They love sticking their hands in the cold slimy Jello. (This would be so much fun... out on the deck.)

3. Kangaroo Jumping Fun - For kangaroos, have pillowcases with a pocket you have sewn on the front. Place a baby "Roo" (or other stuffed animal) in the pocket. Let the kids have a relay race like the old potato sack races, but if baby Roo falls out, they have to go back to the beginning and start again.

More to come next Wednesday!

Valentine's Day Car Decorations

This is an oldie, but one our family enjoyed for many years.

Buy two or three boxes of Valentine's Day cards.

The night before Valentine's Day, after you've tucked the little ones in bed, make an excuse for Dad to leave the house in YOUR car. (Out of milk, need gas, etc., etc.) As soon as he pulls out of the driveway, the kids should be ready in PJs, coats and tennis shoes to run to Dad's car or truck. Put at least one kid inside and one or two on the outside of the car. Tear tape as fast as you can and let the kids decorate the entire car (inside and out) with over 100 Valentines. (You and the kids can pre-tear all the Valentines that afternoon before Dad comes home.)

They are excited because they are trying to finish before Dad gets back, AND they were able to jump out of bed after being tucked in.

If Dad can be totally surprised the first time you do this, that would be great. If you have to give him a little head's up so he won't ruin the surprise until morning, do so.

Mike would put on a huge show for the kids who were peeking out the upstairs window every Valentine's Day... and then he would drive to work and back with over 100 Valentines stuck all over his car. He received many comments, but he loved the very visible way the kids showed their love for him.

We did this for several years when the kids were small, so this tradition will not last forever, but it is fun and sweet, and it is something brothers and sisters can work on together. It's also one of those things you try to teach them over and over again when they are small... giving is better than receiving!

It's getting closer and closer to Valentine's Day. Don't forget the elderly around your neighborhood, and make sure they receive a Valentine's Day card and/or candy or treat. It will take just a few extra minutes, but it will mean so much to them. Always, always, always take your kids with you when you visit and deliver goodies to the elderly or other neighbors. Let them learn by watching, so when they are adults they'll automatically think about "giving" and making time for the really important things in life.

Have a fun Wednesday. I'll be back tomorrow with Blog Linkage and some fun Dates. That's right. Plural. More than one!

Take care, and I'll talk to you in the morning.

Sincerely,

The Enchanting Belinda

1 comment:

  1. You're enchanting AND amazing, Belinda! I Love It All! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete

Site Meter