Wednesday, January 11, 2012

MORE Gifts of Time

Good Wednesday morning!

The Gallery Pics are a few miscellaneous shots from December and January. The basketball game was cancelled last night. So were my hopes of new action shots in the Gallery this morn.

RANDOMNESS #1 - After missing four consecutive Body Pump sessions in a row, I was able to attend yesterday afternoon.

But I didn't miss because I wanted to quit. Other "things" got in the way, and when the basketball game was cancelled yesterday, I had no reason NOT to go. No reason at all.

Thus, this morning I am more than a little sore in some places, and tight in others. I slept like a brick last night, but I am blessed because I tend to sleep like a brick every night.

Will I miss tomorrow's class even though my exercise buddy, Cam, cannot attend? Will I go alone? What is wrong with me that after 13 years of exercising, I simply CANNOT or WILL NOT walk or go to class alone?

I don't know. But I will say my "Exercise Mason Jar" is motivation. And since I can see the bottom of said jar (from lack of quarters, you see), I am going to try to go tomorrow afternoon... ALONE.

I've put it on the blog using cyperspace as a kind of "accountability" partner. (Southern Baptists LOVE "accountability" partners.)

We'll see if it works.

RANDOMNESS #2 - Roxie and I watched the Season Premiere of Dance Moms last night. You can sum up this reality show with one word... DRAMA! Over and over and over throughout the show last night, Roxie and I asked ourselves, "Why don't they just leave her studio? Why do they continue to stay?" But we also knew the answer.

They are on a really popular reality television show, and whether or not their daughters make it to Broadway one day, they'll already be rich and famous... which seems to be the ultimate goal.

My goal for Roxie was chosen when she was born.

When I was pregnant with Roxie, an older lady at church walked up to me and asked if I knew what I was having. I replied, "A little girl."

"You know what you need to do, don't you?" she asked.

I listened attentively for more "New Mom of Girl" advice, but this was a little different.

"When I was born, my Mama gave me my Proverbs 31 verse. If your little girl is born on the 11th through the 30th day of any month, that's her verse."

"I don't understand. What do you mean?" I asked, trying to process this new info.

My birthday is May 12. My verse is Proverbs 31:12. 'She brings her husband good, not harm, all the days of her life.' I'm a good wife."

"Oh. I see." And then I started trying to figure out how to skip days one through ten of September so Roxie could have a Proverbs 31 verse. Somehow, we did it!

Roxie's Proverbs 31 verse is Proverbs 31:25. "She is clothed with strength and dignity; she can laugh at the days to come."

It's not Broadway, but it is a noble goal, I think.

Wednesday Wisdom - January is our anniversary month. Mikie and I will celebrate the big 24 in a few days, so that is where my mind is right now. And these quotes about marriage "fit my mood."

"Our wedding was many years ago. The celebration continues to this day." Gene Perret

"We're all a little weird. And life is a little weird. And when we find someone whose weirdness is compatible with ours, we join up with them and fall into mutually satisfying weirdness - and call it love - true love." Robert Fulghum

"Chains do not hold a marriage together. It is threads, hundreds of tiny threads, which sew people together through the years." Simone Signoret

"Success in marriage does not come merely through finding the right mate, but through being the right mate." Barnett R. Brickner (I think this one is my favorite.)

MORE Gifts of Time

We talked about this a few years ago on A Simple Life, but as the kids have continued to grow up (totally against my better judgment), Gifts of Time have become more and more important to me as a mom and a wife.

We have FOUR Gifts of Time we give annually.

1. I make a Day After Christmas Movie Stocking for each member of the Faulkner Five every Christmas. (Movie ticket, favorite candy, sucker, etc.)

2. Mike and I go to a nice local hotel every year for our anniversary and eat at a nice restaurant. We don't buy other gifts. Just this annual Gift of Time.

3. Roxie and I get a manicure/pedicure together Christmas Eve. It's time to relax, soak and get pretty... together.

4. When Roxie became too old to go to the Father/Daughter Banquet at church, she and Mike continued dressing up and going out to eat one night during February. Another Gift of Time.

I talked to my friend, LeAnna, after Christmas and discovered she gifts annual Gifts of Time, too.

1. She gives her boys Gift Certificates to play paintball at Fort Red Rock with cousins and friends each Christmas.

2. She gives her boys (including the hubby) a Gift Certificate to go to a local shooting range each Christmas.

We all know how difficult it is to think of a GREAT gift or surprise as the kids get older. They want electronics, clothes, gift cards and money. I love that her family has not one, but TWO Gifts of Time every Christmas morning. LOVE it!

My challenge to you today (and to myself) is to try to think of ways to give more and more Gifts of Time throughout the year.

Austin gave Melia "imaginary" Wicked tickets for her birthday in November. The tickets didn't go on sale until recently, but they are going to see Wicked in February. A Gift of Time.

Austin, Josh, Roxie and I bought Mike a Gift of Time for his birthday last June. We gave him THREE tickets to see Ricky Skaggs this month. Austin and Josh are going with him. I started a money envelope a few months ago so they could have a nice "manly" dinner before the concert, too. (Roxie and I do NOT like Blue Grass. We're going shopping. Don't worry. I have an envelope for that, too!)

Valentine's Day is coming up... and right after that we have Easter. Either of those special occasions would be wonderful to give (or receive) a Gift of Time.

Or just pick a Tuesday... any Tuesday. How fun would it be to give a Gift of Time to someone you love on a Tuesday?

Start thinking! If need be, start saving, too.

It will be well worth your TIME!

Have a fantastic Wednesday. I hope all goes well with you and your family. I'll be back tomorrow with Blog Linkage AND a fun Date.

Take care, and I'll talk to you in the morning.

Sincerely,

The Enchanting Belinda

P.S. Feel free to leave any comments or ideas of Gifts of Time via Facebook or e-mail me at mfaulkner1306@charter.net. I'll be sure to share your ideas and thoughts!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Site Meter