Wednesday, January 4, 2012

January Calendar Traditions

Good Wednesday morning!

"Mikie. Please take five GOOD pictures during the basketball game. I cannot take pictures when I'm helping Julie with the book."

Those were my exact words... and Mikie failed me. When I looked at the pictures later in the evening, there was a photo of the ref, the back of my head, the big "G" in the middle of the gym floor, the back of the cheerleaders' heads... You get the idea.

But there was ONE of Roxie running, dribbling, pony-tail swinging, and I had to be happy with the one. I am sharing it with you today.

RANDOMNESS - Mikie and I are mattress shopping. I know. You're probably thinking, "Thanks for sharing."

But, I will tell you this... As far as shopping for things that aren't really pretty (mattresses, dishwashers, air conditioners, heaters, commodes, etc.), mattress shopping is by far the most fun. Or should I say relaxing?

We made the mistake of trying the Tempur-Pedic mattresses first. Once the mattress conformed to my body, I told the salesperson to wrap it up and give Mikie the ticket. We were taking that baby home!

Of course, the $4,999 price tag made Mikie jump off that particular mattress and proceed to try every other mattress in the entire store... while I napped on MY new Tempur-Pedic.

As if I wasn't already sold on the comfort and pleasures of a Tempur-Pedic mattress, the salesperson made me sit up and put a LARGE metal ball between my back and the mattress.

I could not feel it. At all. And I'm like the Princess and the Pea. I can't even sleep on a wrinkle! I settled in for Snooze Number 2 while Mikie tested the other poor unloved mattresses.

The salesperson interrupted me a second time showing me the hand-held device which lifts your head and your feet so you can watch TV comfortably without actually moving anything but your thumb. Loved that feature, too!

I settled in for yet another little Snooze-Fest.

"Belinda. Wake up. We need to go home and talk about which mattress we want. It's closing time, and we can come back tomorrow."

"I know which mattress I want. Tell them to turn the lights off when they close up because I'm staying tonight. You can come back in the morning with all the money, and we'll take this sucker home... where it belongs!"

"Belinda. You're not allowed to spend the night in the showroom. We've got to go home. We've got to sleep on 'Lumpy' one more night." "Lumpy," of course, is the name of our old mattress.

As he dragged/pulled/walked me out of the showroom, I yelled over my shoulder, "I want three of those special pillows, too. You know... the $200 kind. Oh, and do you have a mattress with a heater in it?"

Mikie and I finally agreed on a mattress we both liked, but will not require Austin to drop out of his last year of college to allow us to pay for it... which is a good thing, I think.

I'm already feeling more well-rested just thinking about getting rid of "Lumpy."

Austin's Over-the-Pond Adventure

Austin boarded an airplane at 3:45 this morning (Alabama time) and is now flying home over the pond. He'll go to Chicago before heading to Atlanta, and then he'll be "Home, Sweet Home" around 10:00 tonight. I am SO excited.

Yesterday he rode The Eye (and enjoyed it), and he visited Harrod's and some other places on his "list." Oh, and he ate at McDonald's.

He has experienced so many new and exciting things, I cannot wait to hear all about them... and see ALL of his pictures.

I'll be sharing some of those on A Simple Life in the morning.

I know you are beyond thrilled, too. I can sense these things!

Wednesday Wisdom

"If you're not in the parade, you watch the parade. That's life." Mike Ditka (I am so happy Austin was able to BE in this particular parade!)

January Calendar Traditions

I love the Calendar Traditions because they are easy, fun and a little crazy sometimes. (And you can easily pick one or two and do them every year from now until the kids leave home!)

The Second Week in January - Letter Writing Week - This one’s pretty self-explanatory... Have everyone sit down and write a letter to a relative, an old friend, a new acquaintance! I LOVE getting real letters in the mail.

January 8 - Bubble Bath Day - Obviously, this will be fun for everyone! Buy a great-smelling bubble bath at Bath and Body Works, and let everyone take their time soaking in a nice warm bubble bath.

January 15 - National Hat Day - Have everyone wear their favorite hat during dinner. Be sure and take a picture.

January 19 - National Popcorn Day - This could become an annual Movie Night, too. Because everyone knows it is more fun to eat popcorn while watching a good movie.

January 23 - National Pie Day - Okay, Mom. Get busy. Why not make more than one or two different pies so everyone can have a choice.

Or better yet, START dinner with dessert (a piece of pie) and end with a bowl of soup or salad.

Or serve pie for breakfast! That would be a great way to start the day!

January 27 - Chocolate Cake Day - Read National Pie Day. Do it again, only with Chocolate Cake.

Have the most wonderful Wednesday. I'll be back in the morning with pictures from Jolly Ol' England and The Boy's Homecoming. I'll have a date for you and your child to try. Oh, and some Randomness.

Take care, and I'll talk to you tomorrow.

Sincerely,

The Enchanting Belinda

No comments:

Post a Comment

Site Meter