Thursday, January 5, 2012

Friday the 13th Date

Good Thursday morning!

REMINDER! REMINDER! REMINDER! - Before A Simple Life (www.belinda-asimplelife.blogspot.com), there was A Simple Life (www.belindafaulkner.blogspot.com). And then one day, the original A Simple Life would not let me post anything. I tried for days and days to get help, but no one from Blogger came... or called... or e-mailed.

So I had to start a new A Simple Life, and hope that my old readers would find me, and new readers would still come.

The old A Simple Life is still at the old address (www.belindafaulkner.blogspot.com). There are 679 posts over there, so if you're new to A Simple Life and you want to check out Seasonal Traditions, Parties, Dates, Recipes, etc., you can visit the old... but don't forget to come back to the new!

Also, I have THREE picture-of-the-day blogs.

1. 2009-2010 - Belinda's Project 365

2. 2010-2011 - Belinda's Project Life

3. 2011-2012 - Fifty is Nifty... And Other Urban Myths. (This one is the most current!)

I hope that wasn't confusing... but I'm sure it was. (I even got lost a couple of times.)

The Gallery Pics are from The Boy's Homecoming last night. It was wonderful. I surprised him with Melia! I picked her up around 9:00, and then we waited until 10:30 or 10:45 when he walked through the door. He was a little loopy from lack of sleep and the six-hour time difference, but we visited for about an hour before Melia went home and Austin passed out.

Roxie tried, but she officially welcomed him home this morning. (The chick needs her beauty rest.)

Austin's Over-the-Pond Adventure... The End

That's right. The End. He had a great time, but all good things must come to an end... and it was definitely time to come home.

I will be posting some of the best London pictures over the next few days, but I have to say, there are a ton of good pictures. The Boy did me proud!

I went to bed last night with a smile on my face knowing the Faulkner Five was sleeping under one roof in the great State of Alabama.

It is EXCELLENT to have everyone in the same state again. EXCELLENT!

RANDOMNESS - Carpooling Article - I loved this post in 2009, and I love it now. For all of you moms out there still hauling kids to and fro, take a minute to read some very wise words.

My Mom gave me a copy of Today's Christian Woman which contains an article she wanted me to read. I loved it, and I wanted to share it with you in two parts this week. It is called A Purpose-Driving Life by Nancy Kennedy. I'll warn you... it's an eye-opener!

Years ago someone asked me what I wanted on my tombstone. I replied, rather flippantly, "She drove girls."

At the time, I had a 1989 red Ford Tempo with 189,000 miles on it, of which I was sure 188,000 of those miles had been used to drive girls... to the mall and volleyball practice. To softball games and the mall. To the mall and church youth group. To the beach. To Taco Bell. To school. To the mall.

It was either drive them or risk them finding rides with someone's sister's boyfriend. As long as my daughters and their myriad of close, personal friends were in the backseat of my car with me at the wheel, I knew where they were. It's a control thing, but a common sense thing, too. Although I didn't realize it at the time, it was also a ministry thing.

Not too long ago, Kelly's mother called to thank me for what I'd done for her daughter, Kelly, who had died from leukemia at age 21, and had been my daughter Laura's childhood best friend.

At first I thought she was thanking me for reading something I'd written for Kelly's funeral, but I realize now she'd meant something else, which brings me back to my purpose-driving life.

As Paul Harvey would say... "Tune in tomorrow for the rest of the story."

Blog Linkage - I have some really good links for you to check out this morning.

1. I love the Anderson Family Crew blog, so I have added this blog under My Blog List on the sidebar. Go to the anderson crew under My Blog List and scroll down to the post entitled "a new year, a new adventure, 12 years of moves and babies" dated January 3. Get ready to take a nap. The past 12 years have been exhausting... and it ain't over yet!

2. Next, scroll UP to the post entitled "goals, words, resolutions, oh my" dated January 4. Emily is deleting her personal Facebook page. She gives the reasons why... and it makes really good sense.

I am all for deleting my personal Facebook page as soon as the kids get a little older. At the teenage stage of life, Facebook is one of the many ways I keep up with what is going on in their world. And it is helpful.

But I can definitely see the benefits of NOT "doing" Facebook one day.

3. Go to Nitty.Gritty. under My Blog List and read the post entitled "On the eve of another big day..." dated January 4. Wyndham is having a birthday, and once again, Jody's post is wonderful and insightful and hopeful. Loved it.

4. Go to Big Mama under My Blog List and read "How funky is your chicken?" dated January 5. Who would have thought a story about trying a new chicken recipe could be so funny? Excellent post.

5. Go to Confessions of a Pioneer Woman and read "The Best Slumber Party in the Whole Wide World" dated January 3. I enjoyed the whole post, but I love the GIANT Ice Cream Sundae Platter. LOVE IT! I told Roxie to get some girls together... I will supply the ice cream, toppings and the hot pink spoons!

Friday the 13th Date

This January has a Friday the 13th. Plan a very FUN date with 13 different activities.

Get 13 envelopes. Write an activity on a slip of paper and place it in an envelope. Seal the envelope and number them in the order you want your child to open them.

Depending on the age of your child, the activities will vary. (If you have a preschooler, you have a longer day for the date. If you have a school-age child, the date begins at 3:00 when you pick them up from school.)

Here are a few ideas for your envelopes:

1. Pick an after-school snack of your choice (milkshake, ice cream, French fries, etc.)

2. Go to the local library and pick out a book and/or DVD for later in the evening.

3. Take a walk around a pond and let your child take pictures of the things that interest him/her.

4. Go to the local zoo.

5. Get your nails done.

6. Go the Dollar Theater to watch a movie.

7. Let the child pick a place to eat out for dinner.

8. Have a favorite craft activity ready to go when you arrive home.

9. Slip into your pajamas as soon you as walk into the door.

10. Build a quilt/pillow fort in front of the television in the den.

11. Eat dinner picnic-style in the fort.

12. Play your child's favorite game... more than once.

13. Play your child's favorite Wii game... more than once.

You get the idea. No one knows your child like you do. Plan 13 fun things to do on Friday the 13th and spend that time one-on-one with your child.

If there are siblings involved, make plans for them to spend the night with grandparents or cousins, if possible.

The next time Friday the 13th rolls around, have a Friday the 13th Date with a different child.

Have a tremendous Thursday. I know I will! The Faulkner Five rides again! I'll be back tomorrow with Weekend Happenings, London pics, my Paula Deen Recipe of the Month description AND pics, Randomness and a little of this and that.

Take care, and I'll talk to you in the morning.

Sincerely,

The Enchanting and Quite Content Belinda

No comments:

Post a Comment

Site Meter