Monday, December 12, 2011

Mindless Monday

Good Monday morning!

The Gallery is full this morning... but you've seen all the pictures before. Except for my daily pictures for 50 is Nifty, I didn't have anything to photograph this past weekend. Nothing! NADA!

This was quite possibly the MOST un-Christmasy weekend I've ever had... including a couple of weekends last July!

And I did not handle it well. No, sir. I... did... not!

You'll be happy to know, the rest of The Faulkner Five had a very good weekend, coming and going, going and coming. I fixed meals here and there. We had a couple of opportunities for a Faulkner Family Late Night Christmas movie, BUT because of upcoming finals and works schedules, it never happened.

I sound bitter, don't I? That's okay. It's good for you to know one of my three faults. (I tend to get bitter easily. I also tend to stay bitter a very, very long time... which is my second fault.)

But this week... This week is packed full of Christmas goodness. I'm going to try to get over my "bitter" self and enjoy every single moment.

All that to say... I'll have new pictures in the Gallery first thing in the morning.

RANDOMNESS #1 - I have 11 Christmas cards. Today is December 12. I am SO behind. Or should I say, "YOU are so behind!"

RANDOMNESS #2 - I'm going to share two more Neiman-Marcus gifts today. You'll be glad to know, they get more and more affordable as the countdown continues.

7. Tom Burr Ping-Pong Table
Price - $45,000

This table might not seem extraordinary at first glance, but it would certainly be your pride once you used it. Made out of high-grade black rubber, this table is shaped sharply at the edges, and has nothing too flashy to boast of, except for the opaque net in between. The benefits, as Tom Burr says, “more bounce for your buck,” relates to the superior experience of playing the sport of ping-pong on this table. With each sale, $2,500 will go to the charitable institution called Big Brothers/Big Sisters, who work in the area of children’s welfare.

NOTE - I've got to say, if I spent $45,000 on a ping-pong table, someone in my family would have to be playing ping-pong every day, all day long for the rest of my life. So I would know I had gotten my money's worth, you see.

8. Trip to Stone Barns Farm
Price - $9,500

Twenty-five miles from Manhattan lay the Pocantico Hills. This is where the Stone Barns Farm lies. For a group of six guests, the trip to the farm will prove to be a hands-on experience of the American country life, and most importantly, a glimpse into how one can depend on vegetation and poultry farming for good quality food.

Farmer Jack Algiere will be training the guests to create their own home gardens followed by multi-course meals and cooking methods by Chef Adam Kaye. The proceeds from the sale of its tour package will go toward the charitable institution of Stone Barns Center, meant for the upkeep of the particular area.

NOTE - I'm not going to spend almost $10,000 to garden all day, and then cook my own meals. Not gonna happen. If you were thinking, "The Enchanting Belinda would LOVE this as a gift," think again.

RANDOMNESS #3 - I didn't tell y'all everything that happened the night I spoke at our church a couple of weeks ago. And there was a reason. What I'm about to tell you will let you know about a side of me I have kept to myself... up until now.

Because I was representing the "fall" season of life, I didn't wear a new Christmas outfit to the event... even though it was definitely a Christmas event.

Instead I wore a burnt orange sweater with a dark brown camisole and a print skirt with a myriad of fall colors splashed all over it. My only problem with the outfit had to do with footwear.

I have pretty brown pumps that go with the outfit, but since no one wears hose these days (even in the winter), I had to decide whether the outfit needed boots OR tights. It wasn't a "tights" kind of outfit, so I opted for a new pair of boots. Suede boots. Brown suede boots. I tried them on. They felt marvelous. I bought them!

I left for the event before Roxie came home from volleyball practice that particular day. I thought I looked pretty spiffy in my autumnal outfit and my brand spankin' new brown suede boots. I walked with confidence to the podium. I gave my talk knowing I looked ultra-fine. And I left the event with warm feet AND calves because of the new boots.

I walked into our home, and I was immediately met by Roxie at the door.

"How did it go?" she asked. And with one quick glance up and down, she didn't give me time to answer the first question before the second question came out of her mouth.

"Tell me you did NOT wear those boots with that outfit!"

"Well, yes, I did. I wouldn't have changed shoes in the car on the way home. I thought you would like them. Look. Feel them. They are suede! So hip!"

"Do not use the word 'hip,' and I am NOT believing you wore those boots." The only thing MORE dramatic than Roxie would be me... Roxie's Mama.

"Why? What is wrong with them?" I was beginning to think I had gone color blind and maybe the boots were gray suede which would explain why Roxie was getting SO upset.

"You do not wear flat boots with a long skirt. You only wear flat boots with a shorter skirt and tights. You should have boots with at least a two-inch heel with that outfit."

"Well, I didn't want to trip in front of everyone, so I opted for the flat instead of the heel. These are fine. No one but you would ever notice that little detail."

"No, ma'am. Everyone noticed it. You broke a 'boot rule.' Promise me you will only wear those boots with a short sweater dress OR skinny jeans."

"Roxie. I am not wearing a short sweater dress. Those things are tight in the wrong places. And if I'm wearing skinny jeans, it is just because I ate too much the day before and my regular jeans are unbelievably uncomfortable. And I will NOT tuck my uncomfortable regular jeans inside boots... because then my boots would be too full."

"All I know is you cannot wear those boots again with the clothes you own. You look like an elf."

And with that, she hugged me and headed to bed.

Roxie is good, but I was sure she was exaggerating... until I headed to Wal-Mart the next day, the mall that weekend and church on Sunday. Her "boot rules" were exactly right.

I did look like an elf...

In front of over 500 women...

Who probably already knew the "boot rules."

And it normally would have bothered me a great deal except for how warm and cozy my feet and calves were that night.

And that confirms any doubt I might have had about being in the "fall" of my life. Comfort before style. That's my new motto... and I don't care who knows it!

Have a great Monday. I'll be back to my old, happy self first thing tomorrow morning... you hope!

Take care, and I'll talk to you in the morn.

Sincerely,

The Enchanting Belinda

No comments:

Post a Comment

Site Meter