Friday, December 30, 2011

Last Date of the Year

Good Friday morning!

I have a few miscellaneous Christmas pics left over in the Gallery today. I think Christmas has been well-documented.

Austin's Over-the-Pond Adventure

After a couple of text messages yesterday, The Boy forgot the rule about contacting one of The Faulkner Five before calling it a day.

He only has to leave three pieces of information in this daily text.

1. "I am alive."

2. "I am having fun."

3. "I am coming home on the 4th."

That's all. I don't think it's too much to ask.

So, when 6:00 p.m. rolled around, I started getting a little antsy. If it is 6:00 p.m. in Alabama, it is midnight in London. No text. No call. Nothing. Nada.

So Mikie and I stayed awake until 12:30 a.m. waiting for The Boy to wake up and call us at the BEGINNING of his day... and he did.

1. He is alive.

2. He is having fun.

3. He is still planning on coming home on the 4th.

That's all a maternal parental unit needs. Just a little something to let us know The Boy is surviving and thriving.

Today is a pretty big day for the Southerners. When you read this, they will have already completed a tour of the Palace of Westminster, the two Houses of Parliament, Westminster Abbey, St. Paul's Cathedral and the Tower of London... eaten lunch in Trafalgar Square... and performed a concert in Trafalgar Square.

Austin was planning on spending the afternoon going on one or two of the SIX walking tours offered.

I do have a little more information about his first day in London.

1. He ate fish and chips... and they were "fine."

2. He ate spareribs for dinner... and they were "fine." ("Fine" indicates the food was edible, but he hasn't found the really good stuff yet. But he will. He's determined.)

3. He and some of his friends were approached by an inebriated Irish Republican while eating lunch yesterday. He tried to engage them in a discussion of politics. One of the memos we received specifically told the band members NOT to discuss politics while in London.

When the guys refused to talk politics, Mr. Irish Republican informed them his favorite President was Charles W. Bush. (Yes. I know I said "Charles.")

He then became irate and started calling them "Yankees." (It was definitely the first time Austin has ever been accused of being a Yankee.)

All in all, it will make for a good story when The Boy returns... but I didn't like it. I didn't like it one bit!

Except for Mr. Irish Republican, everyone they have come in contact with has been VERY, VERY nice.

4. He has taken several pictures from Melia's "Must Take a Picture of This" List. She's a genius. The Boy lives for structure, and he's marking things off that list... and we're going to have some good pictures.

5. He did not take a picture of inebriated Mr. Irish Republican. (I think that was wise.)

Last Date of the Year

It's not too late. Depending on how many children you have, you and/or your spouse can date them today, this afternoon, this evening, tomorrow morning... You get the idea.

And it's not a difficult date. It's an out-to-eat/talking date.

Time to talk about the last year (good AND bad).

Time to talk about the upcoming year.

Time to talk about dreams, fears, hopes and more.

One-on-one. No cell phones. No interruptions.

Mike and Josh are at Original Pancake House now. Just eating... and talking.

Roxie and I are headed to Brookwood around lunch. And we'll grab a bite... and talk.

If The Boy calls around 6:00 p.m. tonight (and he BETTER CALL), Mike and I will eat a bite... and talk... and listen. It will be an International Telephone Date.

Weekend Happenings

This has been an odd week. Not very restful, but we've definitely gotten some things accomplished. (Do NOT think that means my house is spic and span. I'm still working on that one.)

Tonight, Josh is going to see Mission Impossible with a friend. Mike and I are going to get the review from him and decide if we want to see it now or wait until it is on DVD.

Saturday is a stay-around-the-house day for me and Miss Roxie, I think. Josh and Mike are going deer hunting... and I hope Josh gets his first big buck this year.

We're spending New Year's Eve with our friends, Kerry and Nancy. It's a lovely tradition, and we'll spend a lot of time catching up, laughing and eating.

Sunday is going to be a wonderful way to start the new year. Attending church with family and friends on the first day of 2012 will be a very good thing.

And that is it for us. A very low-key weekend. Of course, I didn't bore you with the details of the undecorating of the house, OR the washing of the laundry, OR the buying of a new mattress, etc., etc. Those things are too mundane... even for A Simple Life.

I'll stop in for a few minutes tomorrow to share some of my 2012 Goals (NOT resolutions). I've got some "dandies!"

Mindless Monday will continue January 2, AND I'll introduce my January Paula Deen Recipe with you. I think I can actually make this without too much trouble. We shall see!

Take care, and I'll talk to you in the morning.

Sincerely,

The Enchanting Belinda

No comments:

Post a Comment

Site Meter