Wednesday, July 11, 2012

Start a Summer Club

Good Wednesday morning!

ANNOUNCEMENT! ANNOUNCEMENT! ANNOUNCEMENT! - I made the Meatball Sub Casserole last night, and the following bit of information is SO important to the success of your casserole.

There was a "NOTE" at the bottom of the recipe about toasting the bread if you wanted a more substantial base... or something like that!

YOU MUST, I repeat, MUST toast your bread before layering. Otherwise, the bottom layer tastes good, but it will be soggy.

Other than that, it is a very, very good recipe!

RANDOMNESS #1 - Since next week we begin VOLLEYBALL, I thought I'd post some "last year" volleyball pics today, so we could compare them to next week's photos.

Roxie will be thrilled, I know.


As you can see, volleyball is an intense sport.


Kelci and Roxie noticed an error on the scoreboard during camp.


And Kelci and Roxie don't let things like that "go."


Not only are volleyball chicks athletic... They are really cute, too! (Roxie, Kelci and Shelby.)

RANDOMNESS #2 - I saw an advertisement for a "how-to" blog on Pinterest. It read, "Distress, Antique and Age." And I added, "Live with three teenagers."

Is it just me, or was that hysterical?

It's just me, isn't it?

RANDOMNESS #3 - The Boy saw sting rays and sea turtle nests yesterday. I'm trying so hard to be happy for him!

Wednesday Wisdom - I am still reeling from the awesomeness that is The Amazing Spiderman. (Did you notice how I just wrote like a 15 year-old teenager? Did you?) Anyway, here are a couple of my favorite Spiderman quotes.

Not everyone is meant to make a difference. But for me, the choice to lead an ordinary life is no longer an option.

Whatever life holds in store for me, I will never forget these words: "With great power comes great responsibility." This is my gift, my curse. Who am I? I'm Spiderman. (My personal favorite!)

Start a Summer Club

Whether you invite the neighborhood kids, best friends and/or cousins, this is a fun tradition to look forward to once a week during the summer months.

Here are a few fun Summer Club ideas...

1. Exercise Club - If your children enjoy bike riding, then start your own bike riding group. If the kids like to dance or bowl or play kickball, make that the "theme" of your Exercise Club. (Or you can try a different exercise each week!) End each club meeting with a healthy snack.

2. Book Club - Start a book club for your children and several of their friends. If the children are younger, keep it simple and have them read an easy reader story during the Book Club. Follow it up with an art project, game and/or snack which relates to the book.

If the children are older, ask them to read the book in advance and talk about it with their friends.

3. Science Club - This club has a lot of hands-on learning fun! Be sure to choose activities that are age appropriate and have enough adults available to help out in case the project is harder than expected. (Build a volcano together. Have wacky experiment demonstrations. Cook the snack together because cooking IS science!)

4. Cooking Club - Personally, I would keep this class small. I would not recommend more than 4 to 6 kids.

You will also want to be sure to plan accordingly to make sure all the kids get to be involved in the activity. For example, it may be best to decorate cookies, cupcakes, make your own pizzas or make your own smoothies. To make the smoothies, everyone will need to take turns adding the fruit and using the blender.

Just make sure you are prepared, so this is fun for you and the children.

5. Theme Club - Remember, this is for your children and what they love. It can be about anything. (Dinosaurs, horses, princesses, pirates, knights, castles, dogs or animals.) Each week do a lesson and activity around your theme.

Your children will have so much fun doing the activities and fun lessons while learning more about their favorite subjects. They will look forward to meeting with their friends every week.

THE ENCHANTING BELINDA SAYS - We did this one Summer when the kids were in elementary school. We voted on a name for our neighborhood club and we met on Thursday evenings at 6:00. We had a devotion, a corresponding craft project, a game... and pizza. It was a lot of fun.

A friend and I also picked a different country in the Summer to study... in a fun way.

China - We built the Great Wall of China using tons and tons of Lego bricks. We read stories. We made Chinese lanterns, etc., etc. Our last planned activity was a visit to a Chinese restaurant for lunch... and fortune cookies.

Italy - The kids actually stomped grapes to make real grape juice. We watched the I Love Lucy grape stomping episode. We borrowed a real pasta making machine and the guys made homemade pasta. We listened to very loud Italian music during each and every session.

Fun, fun memories!

Have a whimsical Wednesday. I'll be back tomorrow with a Date and Blog Linkage, Randomness and some pics.

Take care, and I'll talk to you in the morning.

Sincerely,

The Enchanting Belinda

No comments:

Post a Comment

Site Meter