Friday, June 15, 2012

Weekend Happenings

Good Friday morning!

What a week! The weekend could not have come at a better time!

RANDOMNESS #1 - Go to Six Sisters' Stuff under My Blog List and read today's post entitled "35 Fun July 4th Recipes." Go now. Plan your menu for the 4th of July using at least ONE of these cute ideas... and then tell me about it!

RANDOMNESS #2 - Summer Then... Summer Now

Summer Then - When the kids were in elementary school and preschool, they started sleeping a little later, but not past 8:30 or 9:00 a.m. There was a lot to do, and beginning the day watching cartoons in their pajamas was key to starting the day off right!

While they watched a cartoon or two, I would type up the day's dreaded CHORE LIST. Yep. CHORE LIST.

Three kids are messy. Three kids plus friends and/or cousins are incredibly messy. It was IMPERATIVE for them to help earn their keep.

Back in the day, their CHORE LIST looked something like this...

DEVOTION
READ (30 MINUTES)
BRUSH TEETH (DO NOT FORGET!)
MAKE BED
CLEAN TOILET (IF YOU DO NOT WANT TO CLEAN A GROSS TOILET... AIM!)

And then I would mix it up a little. One would take out garbage. One would empty the dishwasher. One would dust baseboards in the hall. One would fold square (towels, washcloths). Etc., etc.

There were never more than seven or eight chores on each list, AND brushing your teeth really could not be considered a sweat-inducing chore. (It was just something that needed to be/had to be done for my own maternal peace of mind.)

All three kids loved to read, so while Josh and Roxie settled into their favorite reading spots, Austin set the timer.

It was 30 minutes of Summer Heaven, I tell you.

After the reading, we couldn't go to the pool or play until everything else was crossed off the list.

It worked for us... some days better than others.

And if they ever woke up in the morning, and did not see a CHORE LIST on the table, you would think Santa Claus had made an early appearance at our house. They were that happy!

Summer Now - Do I still attempt to type up an official looking CHORE LIST with teenagers in and out and about? Sometimes.

However, with individual schedules and plans coming into play, I have found the most effective way to handle the chore situation is to stand at the end of the hall and yell, "BEDROOMS, BATHROOMS, BRING CLOTHES DOWN! WHOSE GARBAGE MONTH IS IT? GET TO IT!"

Then, depending on which kid hasn't run out of the house screaming trying to get into a vehicle and onto the open road, I start giving out a few more instructions.

"Austin... YARD!"

"Josh... VACUUM BASEMENT!"

"Roxie... WASH A BEAGLE... OR TWO!"

You have to be quick. If any of the kids hear you in the hallway, they will either try to bury their heads under two or three pillows so they can honestly say, "I didn't hear you." OR jump in a shower and turn the water on (along with a blaring radio), so they can honestly say, "I didn't hear you."

I have become a 50 year-old Ninja. They NEVER hear me coming!

To their credit, they still try to settle into their old reading spots and read for 30 minutes, but reading is no longer on the CHORE LIST. It is a gift, and while I love for them to read for pleasure, they can read on their own time!

Yep. Summers are different now... and the beagles are definitely cleaner (or they will be by this afternoon)!




I LOVE clean beagles!

Weekend Happenings

I'm cooking tonight. I have not cooked all week because by the time late afternoon rolls around, everyone has scattered. Whoever has been home for dinner, has eaten leftovers, sandwiches and I think there was a pizza in the mix.

But tonight we're having pork chops and veggies. I don't know who will be here to dine with me, but it's in the crock pot now, so there is no turning back.

We'll be having a get-together with my family Saturday morning and having a brunch/breakfast meal. With three out of six kids working at the Chick in the afternoon, brunch/breakfast worked out well for out visit.

Saturday afternoon remains a mystery for three out of five Faulkners. Mikie and Austin will be working.

It seems at this stage of life, we do well schedule-wise when we're working with a National Holiday. Sunday should/would/could happen as planned because it will be Father's Day! That's right. We'll be traveling to Mike's hometown of Oxford after church Sunday to visit his Dad. (I'm not sure, but there may be a Lauren or a Matthew there, also. I hope. I hope.)

And will we be celebrating Mike this weekend? Yes. Yes, we will. Dreamland... Here we come! I hope our table overlooking the barbecue pit will be available. It's our favorite!

And that is our weekend. It will be/should be/could be very family-oriented (which I love), and I intend to enjoy every moment of it.

I hope you and yours have an incredible weekend. I'll be back Monday with Mindless Monday, Summer Then... Summer Now, pics and more.

Take care, and I'll talk to you next week.

Sincerely,

The Enchanting Belinda

No comments:

Post a Comment

Site Meter