Thursday, June 14, 2012

Date, Date, Date Ideas (Kids OR Spouse)

Good Thursday morning!

RANDOMNESS #1 - If you read yesterday's post, you know Mike's birthday did not go as planned. In fact, when I left you, Roxie, Josh and I were going to take Mikie to a fast food restaurant birthday lunch. Those plans changed!

We waited and waited and waited for Mike to call and okay the birthday lunch plans. Finally, I told Roxie she could visit with friends because it didn't look like the birthday "thing" was going to happen... and off she went.

Mikie DID call (45 minutes before lunch), and Josh and I were getting ready to head out when Austin walked in the door. He had about two hours before meeting up with Melia again, so he decided to go with us.

That was good because I haven't been able to find the Big Gold Van keys in FOUR days, and I didn't want to go across town in Josh's truck (with NO air conditioning).

And Austin was able to drive and keep me sufficiently cool.

We met Mike at his favorite hamburger joint (Milo's), and enjoyed a short, but sweet, meal together.

The only thing missing was The Chick (and that wasn't her fault).

Since we had a little more time to kill, I asked Austin to go home a different way... and we meandered through Mountain Brook until we came across Olexa's. I had thought I would purchase five cupcakes and have a surprise dessert around 9:00 or 10:00 p.m. when Mikie came home, but alas, Olexa's did not have cupcakes on display.

They did, however, have the GIANT COOKIE. Good enough!

"Five giant cookies to go, please!" and we were set for one more little birthday surprise for Mikie.


I LOVE Olexa's. Go there. Soon.



Just for the record, GIANT cookies are very, very good.

RANDOMNESS #2 - Summer Then... Summer Now - I've decided to do a little series over the next few days. I told Mike last night, our summers are SO different during this stage of life. It is hard to adjust, but there are still very special moments to enjoy!

Summer Then - When the kids were small, they didn't sleep late. In fact, they were up and about by 7:30 or 8:00 a.m. Our days were so simple... and slow... and easy. Every activity revolved around what I (the Maternal Unit) planned.

Blueberry pickin'... I planned it.

Zoo trip... I planned it.

Stay at the house and build a fort... I planned it.

Play with a box of dinosaurs in the gigantic puddle in front of our driveway... I planned it.

Go to the cousins' house... I planned it.

I planned it, AND everyone loved it.

And the pool days. Oh... my... goodness. The pool days. When the kids were very small, we spent long, lazy mornings at the pool. Yes. Small kids meant I was waist deep in the water the entire time, but those little slippery, wet bodies were so sweet.

Picnics under the pavilion with fruit, peanut butter crackers and juice boxes couldn't be beat.

And then the drive home knowing a nice, long nap was in all our futures. Ahhh.

I thought "Summer Then" was busy, and it was impossible (for me) to keep the house picked up and the laundry done.

But it was good... and I miss it.

Summer Now - Unless there is something going on during the morning hours, the kids will sleep as long as I allow (usually around 10:00 a.m.).

There are work schedules, sport schedules, workout schedules, grass cutting schedules... none of which I plan.

In fact, I get up in the mornings and ask the question, "What have you got going on today?"

Once all three kids answer the question, I then put pen to paper to see if there is any way I can plan something enjoyable for two 50 year-olds, a 20-something and two teenagers to do together that day.

Some days, the answer is "NO! There is not a two-minute period when EVERYONE is in the house at the same time.

So then, I narrow my plans to include whoever is left in the mix.

But their plans can change within seconds, so I have to be flexible and unselfish. Two words which have never described me.

I drop off. I pick up. I try to remember to keep my cell phone charged because a dead cell phone means no communication with one 50 year-old, a 20-something and two teenagers. A dead cell phone is a scary thing.

But sometimes I still plan.

"I want EVERYONE home by 9:00 tonight." I say.

"I don't know," someone says checking their cell phone.

"No. No. No. That wasn't a question. It was a demand. I want EVERYONE home by 9:00 tonight."

"Okay. What's going on?" This question could be asked in unison or by one, but it will be asked.

"Daddy, Austin and Josh are going to watch 'The Hatfields and McCoys.' Roxie and I are going to watch 'Dance Moms' in the back. We're meeting in the kitchen at 10:00 for a special dessert which we will eat together at the table."

They stare.

They are unable to comprehend this new development in their individual schedules.

But then one says, "Okay. That sounds good."

And they all start nodding, and we have a specific summer activity TOGETHER... and I planned it!

Last night was good... and I enjoyed it!

And I'm planning again today!


We're on our way to Boot Camp bright and early (7:00 a.m.)!


She will not look like this when I pick her up!

RANDOMNESS #3 - A blogging "friend" posted this on Facebook yesterday. Being a "lover of all things Pooh," I wanted to share it with you!

“When you wake up in the morning, Pooh,” said Piglet at last, “what’s the first thing you say to yourself?”

“What’s for breakfast?” said Pooh. “What do you say, Piglet?”

“I say, I wonder what’s going to happen exciting today?” said Piglet.

Pooh nodded thoughtfully.

“It’s the same thing,” he said.

Blog Linkage - I have some good reading for you today.

1. Go to www.kellehampton.com and read her post entitled "Pure Michigan" dated June 11. First, she made me wish I was in Chicago. Now, I have a yearning to go to Michigan! She's good. She's real good!

2. Go to Confessions of a Pioneer Woman under My Blog List and click on "Photography" at the top of her page. The Love Photo Contest continues, and the pictures are fantastic.

3. Go to The Dating Divas under my Blog List and go to today's post entitled "12 Father's Day DIY Craft Ideas." When you finish, scroll down to yesterday's post entitled "13 Quick and Easy Father's Day Ideas." NOW scroll down to the June 12 post entitled "13 Father's Day Presents." The ideas just keep coming on that blog!

4. Go to Coal Creek Farms under My Blog List. Aprille is back! And she's dancing... AGAIN! Read/watch her post entitled "I'll regret this in the morning." She always makes me smile!

Enjoy!

Date, Date, Date Ideas (Kids OR Spouse)

1. Play croquet (This was one of my all-time favorite games to play in the backyard.)

2. Match socks together (This one just made me laugh and laugh!)

3. Play a game of tennis

4. Cooking class

5. Dance in the kitchen when the kids are in bed (SPOUSE ONLY!)

6. Learn to play an instrument together (I would love to learn to play the guitar with Mikie.)

7. Create something for your kids and surprise them... blanket fort, pillow fortress, etc. (I love this one!)

Have a terrific Thursday. I'll be back tomorrow with Weekend Happenings (which may or may not actually happen) and some new pics.

Take care, and I'll talk to you in the morning.

Sincerely,

The Enchanting Belinda

No comments:

Post a Comment

Site Meter