Wednesday, June 13, 2012

Father's Day Traditions

Good Wednesday morning!

And off we go...

RANDOMNESS #1 - Today is Mikie's birthday.

He is 51.

He is officially IN his 50s.

I had BIG plans for today. Yes, sir. Do you want to hear about Mikie's birthday plans? I thought so...

1. June is one of his busiest times of the year at work. I know this. But I asked him if he thought he could possibly take off Wednesday (today) at lunch until Thursday (tomorrow) at lunch for a birthday surprise.

He checked his calendar, and said it would be difficult, but he thought he could manage.

2. I then went all crazy on him. I made reservations at The Peabody in Memphis, Tennessee for Wednesday night.

3. I called one of his two BFFs (even "manly" men have BFFs) who lives in Memphis and asked if he and his wife would be free to eat a birthday meal with me and Mikie Wednesday evening. He said, "YES!"

4. I ALMOST made the call asking if Mike could be the Duck Commander at The Peabody Thursday morning to help the ducks walk from the elevator to the lobby duck pond, but I didn't get that far before he pulled me aside Monday afternoon at Roxie's basketball camp to tell me there was NO WAY he could take off noon Wednesday until noon Thursday. His plate was just too full.

5. And I understood. It was too much, and he wouldn't have been able to really enjoy himself knowing what he had to do when he returned home.

6. I heard myself tell him, "It was going to be great, you know. I mean, I really outdid myself this year."

7. I heard him respond, "I have no doubt, but I just can't do it this week."

8. "Well, I'm going to tell you what I had planned." And I did. And he was sufficiently bummed.

9. I got in touch with his BFF, Billy, and I talked to The Peabody, and cancelled all the fun stuff. I filed "Mikie's 51st Birthday CELEBRATION" in the "It's the thought that counts" file and started thinking of Plan B.

10. I talked to all the kids, and even though Mike was going into work SUPER early, they all agreed to get up SUPER early, too, and take him out for a birthday breakfast. (That's a HUGE sacrifice for a 20-something and two teenagers. That's almost as big as going to The Peabody and being Duck Commander for a day.)

11. I forgot about a SUPER early meeting he had scheduled for Wednesday morning. Let's move on to Plan C, shall we?

12. As it stands right now, Josh, Roxie and I are taking the birthday boy out for lunch, and he will receive his birthday cards. Since Father's Day is now upon us, we will combine his Father's Day Celebration (Dreamland Barbecue dinner and a movie) with a birthday gift which has not been purchased yet!

Because The Peabody and Billy were his original gifts, you see.

13. And that is how it goes sometimes at Faulkner Farms (circa 1842). Not as planned!


How cute is this guy? I mean, really?


I could go on and on and on...


But I'll stop with this one...


Or maybe this one!

Happy Birthday, Mikie!

RANDOMNESS #2 - Last night, my friend, Carrie, hosted our Christmas Tea Group at her home for a Craft Night. Although everyone wasn't able to attend (we missed Debbie and Tonya), we had a lot of fun making beautiful crosses out of seashells, colored stones and other crafty items.

Over the years, when we've played games at the Christmas Teas and other events, several of the games have had to do with describing the person next to you.

WHENEVER we play that game, I am ALWAYS described as "creative and organized."

I am NOT "creative OR organized." Well, in my mind I am. I am unbelievably creative and organized in my mind. But in real life... not so much.

I have always said in response, "I'm not that creative. I'm a copier!" And a truer statement has never been stated.

And last night, as I sat staring at a blank wooden cross... and seashells... and ribbon... and beads, I began to have flop sweat.

"Is there a picture of what this is supposed to look like?" I asked Carrie.

"No," she responded as she carelessly and beautifully arranged "stuff" on her wooden cross. "Just do whatever you want. There is no wrong way."

"Oh, yeah?" I thought to myself.

I looked over at LeAnna's cross. Beautiful.

Dawn and Dee... Also, beautiful.

Everyone was talking and working and having fun. I was wondering if somehow I had put an extra bottle of deodorant in my purse before I left home.

I got up to check. Nope. No antiperspirant. Heavy, heavy sigh.

"I need a pattern," I said to no one in particular.

LeAnna heard me, rubbed my shoulder and told me I was doing fine.

At that time, I had one UGLY black conch shell sitting in the middle of my cross. Carrie, who must have thought I loved conch shells started digging in the baskets for more of the same.

I don't like conch shells.

I especially do not like black conch shells.

This was going from bad to worse.

I picked up a container of gossamer ribbon. (I adore gossamer.) "What is this for?" I asked.

Carrie told us it was to be used to "hang" the cross.

Hmmm. I started wrapping my cross... mummy-like. And I decided then and there, gossamer ribbon makes anything nicer.

A few beads and seashells later, this was my finished product...




Notice the amazing attention to detail.


Pretty awesome, huh?

I think I'm going to stick to scrapbooking and blogging.

Wednesday Wisdom - Mr. Twain is helping out in Wednesday Wisdom... again.

"Kindness is a language the deaf can hear and the blind can see." Mark Twain

Powerful!

Father's Day Traditions

As you all know, our Father's Day Tradition is set in stone. We take Mikie to Dreamland Barbecue and then we plan an activity. Usually we take him to a movie because summer blockbusters are plentiful, but we have substituted bowling and game night from time to time.

That is one of the good things about a tradition. The kids never have to say, "What are we going to get Dad this year?"

But just in case you are looking for something new and different, here are a few other ideas...

1. This Father's Day celebrate your "Iron Man" at Vulcan Park and Museum. Dad recieves $1 off daytime adult admission on Sunday, June 17.

2. Southern Museum of Flight is offering free admission to Dad this Saturday in honor of Father's Day. Dads are free with a paid child's admission.

3. On Sunday, June 17, come show Dad how much you appreciate him with the first 10 ounces of yogurt free at Yogurt Mountain.

Or start your own "set in stone" Father's Day Tradition. It will be something Dad looks forward to year after year after year!

Have a lovely Wednesday. I'll be back tomorrow with Blog Linkage and a fun Date.

Take care, and I'll talk to you in the morning.

Sincerely,

The Enchanting Belinda

No comments:

Post a Comment

Site Meter