Thursday, June 28, 2012

Mini-Date Ideas

Good Thursday afternoon!

I've been here, there and everywhere today, but I thought I'd stop a minute to finish today's post!

RANDOMNESS #1 - All of my kiddos are working today. Roxie has a babysitting job, Austin has The Chick and MJ (My Josh) is out in this 100+ heat landscaping... and loving it (as of yesterday).

Me? I'm sitting on an air vent.

And in case you're wondering, that's the plan for the next three days.

RANDOMNESS #2 - I'm going to post a few more pics from my date with Austin at The Best Strip Mall in the World (located by Dawson Memorial in Homewood).

You really need to go some time and spend money there. (I don't want those places to go out of business.)


Believe it or not, I had the best pimento cheese panini EVER at this little coffee shop. It was wonderful. It's a very small, eclectic type coffee shop, and I loved it.


And I don't just love it because it has good food and a cute name (Hart & Soul), but because they took the time to paint wrought iron chairs in bright, cheerful colors... and they even added twinkly lights.


Even though Hart & Soul had desserts, it would have been a shame to eat a dessert there because three or four doors down you have DREAMCAKES. (Appropriately named!)


I bought a Caramel Dreamcake for Roxie and a Snickers Dreamcake for Austin. (Josh isn't eating a lot of sweets these days, so I'll take him to Dreamcakes on a non-workday so he can enjoy it.)

RANDOMNESS #3 - Always on the lookout for a new list, I thought of one today. "Things The Faulkner Five Haven't Done This Summer." It's a sad list, but I hope it gets a little happier as the Summer progresses.


We haven't done the "drive-in" thing...


Or the "houseboat" thing...


Or the midnight Krispy Kreme run...


Or the "pool" thing.

But it's only June 28. We still have time. (If you cannot tell, I'm starting to panic just a little!)

Blog Linkage - I just have a couple of links for you to check out today. I hope you're not too disappointed.

1. Go to The Dating Divas under My Blog List if you are interested in learning how to make Cookie Dough Cupcakes. Yeah. I thought that might get your attention.

2. If you are feeling crafty (and I bet you are), go to eighteen25 under My Blog List and read yesterday's post entitled "patriotic stars." Very, very pretty craft.

Enjoy!

Mini-Date Ideas

If time is of the essence (that's an old legal term I typed 1,000,000 times back in my legal secretary days), a Mini-Date is better than no date at all.

The definition of a Mini-Date will hereafter be "a 20 to 30 minute date costing little or no money. It will be one-on-one time well-spent with one of your kiddos."

1. Grocery Shopping - Do you need to pick up a few things at the grocery store? Ask one of your kids to pick out a favorite dessert recipe. Write down the ingredients you need, and go shopping with your child.

2. Baking (or Making Dinner) - Since you are going to make dessert and/or dinner anyway, put an apron on a child and spend that time baking and cooking together.

3. Wash the Car - On hot days in the South, there's nothing wrong with slathering on sunscreen and getting out the hose and a big bucket of sudsy water. Wash your car. Take your time. Get wet. Have fun.

4. Breakfast Dates/Lunch Dates - If you have older kids who work during the day, get up early one morning and treat them to breakfast. If they have a lunch break on their job, pick them up and share a hamburger... and some time.

5. Sonic Date - I noticed some friends on Facebook were attempting to try ALL the Sonic drink combinations over the Summer. Being a goal maker myself, I found this one intriguing. You could even make a chart of the Sonic drinks you try during these long, hot months.

6. Plan a "theme" night for dinner. Sit down with one of the kids to talk about decorations, menu, music, etc. Let them help, of course, but the date part would be the one-on-one time planning.

Basically, turn an everyday event, chore or errand into something special... even if it just lasts 20 or 30 minutes!

Have a cool Thursday. I'll be back in the morning with Weekend Happenings.

Take care, and I'll talk to you tomorrow.

Sincerely,

The Enchanting Belinda

No comments:

Post a Comment

Site Meter