Wednesday, November 23, 2011

Thanksgiving Eve Breakfast Tradition

Good Wednesday morning!

The Gallery Pics are forthcoming. (That sounded very official, didn't it?)

Mikie is taking me to breakfast at Klingler's in a few minutes, so today's post will be in Parts. Part One will include Wednesday Wisdom and Randomness. Part Two will include the Seasonal Tradition, Randomness AND a couple of pics. Part Three will finish the post with whatever I left out in Parts One and Two.

PART ONE

RANDOMNESS #1 - Yes. You heard correctly. Mikie and I are headed to Klingler's for breakfast. It is one of my favorite pre-Thanksgiving traditions. I'm having the quiche, fresh fruit with poppy seed dressing and the thinnest piece of toast you can possibly imagine.

And I'm going to try to talk Mikie into buying one of the $45 cakes that look so pretty... but are WAY too expensive. (We do this every year.)

Wednesday Wisdom - Words to live by...

"What you DO speaks so loud that I cannot hear what you say." Ralph Waldo Emerson.

Okay. That's Part One... short and ever-so-sweet. Check back early afternoon for PART TWO!

PART TWO

RANDOMNESS #2 - Mikie and I enjoyed our little breakfast/brunch date at Klingler's very much. It was very festive, and while I came VERY close to buying the $3.95 turkey cupcakes for my guys and Matthew for tomorrow, Mike and I agreed $16 for four cupcakes (no matter how cute) was a little much this close to Christmas.

Semi-Funny Story - I would meet my friend, Kelley, at Klingler's for a little Christmas get-together every year when our kids were in elementary school. On one such visit, I fell in love with their homemade giant gingerbread cookies. I had $6.50 left over from lunch, so I told Kelley I wanted to buy a gingerbread cookie for her boys and my three kiddos.

I didn't even look at the price... because even a really good cookie probably just costs about $1 each. Right?

I picked out five gingerbread cookies, went to the register and tried not to scream when she told me I owed her over $20. In the end, I bought one and a half cookies, Kelley bought four and a half cookies... but I made her tell the boys the cookies were from me. (And I told my kids the same thing.)

It worked out well, I thought.

Thanksgiving Eve Breakfast Tradition

Over the last few years, Mike has taken off the Wednesday before Thanksgiving. Since the kids were getting older (and older and older), we would slip out the Wednesday morning before Thanksgiving and enjoy a leisurely breakfast together. Practically the last leisurely moment before the holiday season began.

We do it every year without fail, and we love it.

Believe me... The cooking, cleaning, laundry and other holiday prep will be waiting for you as soon as you get home. ALWAYS!

But I really look forward to our quiet little breakfast before the hustle and bustle begins. It's a lovely tradition.

DISCLAIMER - I realize many of you still have younger children, and you cannot just slip out before the kids wake up. I've been there, too. But if you're in the season/phase/time of your life when you have that little freedom, be sure to take advantage of it. It is precious, precious time!

Sincerely,

The Enchanting Belinda

No comments:

Post a Comment

Site Meter