Wednesday, November 16, 2011

Favorite Things Party

Good Wednesday morning!

I have more food pics in the Gallery this morning. And, of course, the recipe is from Pinterest. However, as opposed to the Parmesan Baked Asparagus, the Faulkner Five LOVED the Pepperoni Crescent Rolls. Loved them, I tell you.

RANDOMNESS #1 - I saw my friend, Cam, and her lovely daughter in Hobby Lobby the other day. (I'm just going to refer to the daughter as "P." I don't want to embarrass her... any more.)

We spoke for a few minutes, and then went on our way.

As is my custom at Hobby Lobby, I chose a horribly slow check-out line. Horribly, horribly slow.

However, I was patient, and I settled in for a long, long wait.

About that time, Cam and P came by and Cam poked me in the side and threw down the check-out line gauntlet. "I bet we get out of here before you do."

As you can imagine, my patience flew out the window... and my blood pressure rose as I watched the woman in front of me unload an entire buggy of individual pieces of card stock AND 1,000,000 pieces of felt. And, no. I am not exaggerating!

I glanced over at Cam and P. P was behaving. Cam... not so much.

I decided to wipe Cam's smug smile off her face. Yes, I did. And I'm not very proud of myself either. Especially since what I did turned out all wrong.

I was purchasing four small skeins of yarn. (Remember. I'm knitting to help sooth my ever-frazzled nerves. I told you about that, didn't it?)

Anyway, in my angst, I decided to throw a SMALL skein of yarn and hit Cam on top of her smug head. It wouldn't hurt. It would even be a little funny. Something to make the time go a little faster.

I guess when I turned 50 this past August, my throwing skills immediately deteriorated... because instead of bouncing the yarn off Cam's head, I hit P right in the face.

And since she wasn't expecting a grown woman to throw something in her face, it kind of "got away with her," and she turned really red.

And because I messed up, I tried to apologize to her (probably a little too loudly), and ALL the women in ALL the check-out lines turned and stared... at me. Not Cam. Me. The Enchanting Belinda.

Which made Cam smile all the more smugly. And because I apparently do NOT throw like a girl, but like a 50 year-old woman, I could not risk tossing another skein at Cam's head because I was pretty sure I would hit the 85 year-old grandmother in front of her... who I hadn't had the opportunity to meet yet.

Needless to say, some of the joy I felt when I DID indeed check-out before Cam and P was gone.

But the joy that was left... Well, I might not be able to throw any longer, but I skipped all the way to the Big Gold Van!

RANDOMNESS #2 - Loneliness - Just in case you are feeling a little lonely yourself these days, maybe some of these Seven Helpful Hints will come in handy.

Seven Sure-Fire Ways To Beat Loneliness

CONTACT OTHERS - Make a list of everyone you know... loved ones, friends and acquaintances. Make it a point to contact them regularly.

GET INVOLVED - No matter where you live or what your interests or skills may be, there are people who need your help. Show interest in their lives. It will bring joy to yours.

DEVELOP NEW DREAMS - Dreams give hope and spark to life. Find new things to achieve. An elderly triathlon runner once said, "No one is ever alone who has a dream."

EAT PROPERLY - Low blood sugar or improper diet can magnify negative feelings. Check your food intake.

REST - Recharge your body. Tired people tend to lean toward their problems and respond negatively to situations.

COUNT RIGHT - Focus on the good things that have happened and are happening in your life.

Last, but never least...

REMEMBER GOD - You are never really alone because God loves you, and He is as near as your prayers.

Wednesday Wisdom - I love this quote from Ferris Bueller's Day Off. (Can you believe that movie was made in 1986? I am older than old dirt.)

"Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in awhile, you could miss it!" Ferris Bueller

I hate to admit it, but that is pretty wise advice from an inventive, yet sneaky, teenage boy! (And, yes. I realize adult writers wrote that line for Matthew Broderick. Humor me.)

Favorite Things Party

I love this Pinterest idea! Here's how it works.

1. Each guest brings their favorite thing. It can be ANYTHING at all. (Favorite lip gloss, favorite kitchen tool, favorite gift wrapping supply, a gift card for your favorite frozen yogurt, etc.).

2. The "favorite" cannot cost more than $5, and each person brings five of the same thing. (Total cost of this party per guest is $25. But, wait! It's worth it!)

3. When you arrive at the party, each guest writes their name on five slips of paper and throws them into a big bowl.

4. Pass the bowl around. Each person takes five names. (Make sure you don't pick your own name, OR two of the same name).

5. One at a time each person introduces their favorite thing and then reads the five names they picked from the bowl. Then they pass out their gifts to those five guests.

6. After everyone at the party has presented their favorite thing, each person should end up with five gifts to take home. It's always interesting to see what people choose, and some guests have started to bring a notepad and pen to jot down what people love.

Doesn't that sound fun. To make it interesting, I think you would need to invite at least 15 guests.

I also think serving coffee, tea and desserts would be fun, too.

It doesn't have to be elaborate or ornate. It can be a simple and fun way to spend a couple of hours with old and new friends.

(Remember what I said about inviting some new people to fellowship with you and your friends. This would be a great opportunity to reach out to others!)

Try to have a dry Wednesday. I know. It is hit or miss around here. I'll be back tomorrow with a Date and some really, really good Blog Linkage.

Take care, and I'll talk to you in the morning.

Sincerely,

The Enchanting Belinda

No comments:

Post a Comment

Site Meter