Friday, May 4, 2012

Weekend Happenings

Good Friday morning!

The house is quiet for the moment, which is good. Austin and Mike have gone to work. Josh and Roxie have gone to school. All four left at four different times, five minutes apart. When the door closes behind the last one, I generally dance a little jig, grab my Diet Dr. Pepper, start a load of laundry and head to the computer to post the blog.

But first, here are a few things that make me smile...













RANDOMNESS #1 - Once the blog is posted, my Friday, May 4 will consist of the following:

Kitchen Duty
More Laundry
Shower and beautifying process will begin
Dog Care
More Kitchen Duty
More Laundry
Vacuuming
Dusting
More Kitchen Duty
More Laundry
Bathroom Duty
Pick up corsage for Josh's date
Pick up Dr. Scholl's inserts for Austin and leave them in his truck at work
Take Roxie's gray Tom's to the school office for her to pick up and wear after her volleyball physical
Welcome Josh home at 11:30 so he can eat and nap before prom tonight
Eat a peanut butter/jelly sandwich with Muncho chips
More Laundry
Pick up Roxie and Ally and drop them off with Evelyn
Pick up Courtney and take her home
Head to Botanical Gardens for prom photo shoot
Head back home to take Roxie where she needs to go
More Laundry
Say "hi" and "bye" to Austin as he gets ready and leaves to see The Avengers with Melia
Meet up with Mikie for a date
More Laundry

Looking at my list this Friday, I think the highlights will be the photo shoot AND my date with Mikie. And, of course, I will be ever so thankful if my washer doesn't blow up today. I'm always thankful at the end of the day when my appliances are all still working. I never take that for granted. Ever. And I feel the same way when The Big Gold Van carries me to each and every destination during the day without lurching, smoking or breaking down in the carpool line. (The Big Gold Van has never failed me, but I've driven other vehicles which have not been so accommodating.)

I'm letting you know about my "today," May 4, because this is what I would do if I had a Twitter... or if I Twittered... or if I knew how to send Tweets. (I don't know which phrase, if any, is socially acceptable.)

I think I've saved all of us an enormous amount of time doing it this way. And, you're welcome!

RANDOMNESS #2 - A few years ago, I began to notice the month of May had become THE MOST BUSY MONTH OF THE YEAR.

December pales in comparison to the busyness of May.

The month of February, which has five family birthday celebrations, Valentine's Day AND an annual trip to the mountains is a piece of cake compared to May.

The month of June, which has two family birthday celebrations, Father's Day and always a wedding or two, is relaxing and laid back compared to May.

May sneaks up on you. It's supposed to be a "winding down" time. A slow transition from the busy school year to lazy summer. But it has quietly become something else... and I'm not exactly sure how to handle the change.

May is...

Award Ceremonies
Top Twenty Luncheons
Prom
Basketball Try-outs
Volleyball Try-Outs
Physicals
Senior Skip Day
Roxie wanting to participate in Senior Skip Day even though she is still a Freshman
Picking Up Cap and Gown
Concerts
Senior Recognition
Decorating Senior Table



This big blank board will be transformed into a FABULOUS display for the Senior Reception after Graduation. (Wish me luck!)

Graduation
Graduation Reception
End-of-the-Year Celebration Party

(This is May, 2012. May, 2011 was just as busy, but with a completely different list.)

In three short years, I will no longer have a child in High School. Nor will I have a child in Middle School or Elementary School. Those years will have passed.

I may be wrong, but I expect the month of May will not be as hectic and busy and full in three short years. I imagine it will be somewhat empty... and calm... and maybe even boring.

So today, I am embracing Friday, May 4. I am going to run all over the place at the specified times, and enjoy what this busy, hectic day has to offer.

The empty, calm and maybe even boring Mays are in my not-so-distant future... but I wouldn't miss May, 2012 for anything in the world!

I think it's going to be a very good month!

RANDOMNESS #3 - Josh wanted to go to the midnight showing of The Avengers last night with a friend. A few years ago, I would have been the Mom who said, "Absolutely not. It's a school night. It's the night before prom. I'm not staying up until 3:00 a.m. to make sure you make it home. Forget about it!"

I'm happy to report, I've evolved into the Mom who said, "That sounds like so much fun. I wish I could go with you."

(Believe me. I'm as shocked as you are.)

Josh came home from school, went straight to bed (for a good four-hour nap), woke up and ate dinner with the family, hung around the house until 10:15 p.m., met up with his friend and headed to the movie theater.

They had a blast. After three hours sleep (plus the four-hour nap), he was good to go this morning. He is checking out around 11:30 because of Prom... and sleeping three or four more hours. Needless to say, he is going to be very well-rested.

And I'm going to continue to try to be more of a "Yes Mom." Especially when the activity in question is safe, fun and will count as a "life memory."

"Remember the time we went to the midnight showing of The Avengers the night before Prom? Man, that was so great!"

Anyway, that's the way I imagine it in my sleep-deprived head. But maybe that's just me!

Weekend Happenings

Okay. So you know Prom is tonight. I'll have all of those pictures for you Monday morning, along with a very wordy play-by-play.



This is a little sneak peek of the tux. Yep. MJ's wearing lavender... and rocking it! (Real men can do that, you know!)

Austin is working and dating this weekend. That is literally his plan... and it's a good one, I think.

Roxie is doing some volunteer work at our local Festival this weekend, hanging with friends and recuperating after church Sunday afternoon with a nap, I think.

Mikie and I are going to try to have a date tonight. I'm not sure what we're going to do exactly. And we may try to have another date Sunday evening if everything works out.

Mike's also wanting to go fishing Saturday evening with Josh since the weather looks like it will be cooperating.

And that's it for us. We've been able to have dinner together several times this week, so I'm not going to be too upset if we only have Sunday lunch as a family this weekend. Because I'm flexible, you see.

I hope you and yours have a wonderful first weekend in May. If you have a chance, squeeze in a date with your mate and/or one of your kiddos. There are many wonderful things to do on a summery May weekend.

Take care, and I'll talk to you next week.

Sincerely,

The Enchanting and GO-WITH-THE-FLOW Belinda

2 comments:

  1. Getting ready to throw a party for the Kentucky Derby, although here in my home in Calif we do not get all day broadcast of the events in Kentucky-we're going to have fun celebrating horses, cuz, we love 'em. No dates this weekend. Hubby and I are still apart for another 24 days. I'm looking forward to hearing about Prom on Monday. Take care and have a wonderful weekend. ~ Andrea

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I want to hear all about the Kentucky Derby party. That's on my Bucket List. And I want to wear a truly beautiful hat. I'd love to see pictures of that.

      I'm glad your husband will be in before the month is over. You can plan something really special.

      Have a good weekend, too.

      Delete

Site Meter