Wednesday, May 2, 2012

Graduation Gift Ideas

Good Wednesday morning!

Well, if a Wednesday can be called good. Fun fact for you... Thursday is my favorite day of the week, and Wednesday has ALWAYS been my least favorite. I'm not sure why. A rainy, stormy, cold Monday can beat a beautiful, crisp, autumn Wednesday hands down. And you know how I feel about anything and everything autumn. It makes no sense. Even to me.

On the other hand, Wednesday is most definitely Roxie's favorite day. She absolutely LOVES Wednesday. She starts the day with breakfast with friends, enjoys her classes that day, visits with friends after school, goes to church AND then she gets a Coke with different friends after the services. It's just a day chock-full of social interaction... and The Chick loves social interaction.

RANDOMNESS #1 - Speaking of The Chick, she is sickly today. She came home from school yesterday, and by late afternoon she sent me to fetch a Milo's sweet tea with Milo's special ice because she was feeling a bit achy. And that's when the fever began. She is going to miss her favorite day of the week. And that is sad to me.

I'm going to do my best to make it the best Wednesday it can be, but I'm sure it will fail to compare to what she has come to expect.

But I will go to a movie kiosk and rent one or two chick flicks to be watched off and on today. I will go to Milo's once or twice and pick up Milo's sweet tea with Milo's special ice. I will NOT request her to make up her bed or clean her bathroom counter top or read and annotate her book for English.

Today is a sick day, and all that entails is petting and pampering and napping and getting better.

However, tomorrow is Thursday, so she MUST feel better by tomorrow. (Because it is MY favorite day of the week, you see.)

No pressure, Roxie. No pressure at all.

RANDOMNESS #2 - I'm posting more pictures from yesterday's Top Twenty Luncheon. I cannot get used to being able to post pictures within the blog itself. Very cool.



Josh and AP.



Josh and Alex.



Josh and Grandmother. (I'm seeing a lot of Top Twenty Luncheon photos on Facebook... and Grandmother is photo bombing in a lot of them. Of course, she doesn't photo bomb on purpose, but it is kind of funny.)

Wednesday Wisdom - The woman who came up with this quote is extremely wise... and probably doesn't have a daughter!

"A real woman avoids drama. She knows her time is precious and she's not wasting it on unimportant things." Lydia Reyes

Graduation Gift Ideas

We can all use ideas during the gift-giving season. I found these gift tips on a website this week, and I thought I would share.

Big Ticket Items (Price is no object)

Vacation
Car Money
Laptop
Stock or CD
Cell Phone (complete with paid plan)
Small Refrigerator

Mid-Priced Items (Priced $50 to $250)

Briefcase
Clothing Gift Card
Watch
Microwave
Toaster Oven
Set of Luggage
Camera
Television
DVD Player
IPod
Bookshelf
Printer
Tool Box
Engraved Jewelry
Money Tree
Money Clip (with attached money)
Wallet (with money enclosed)

Economical Gifts (Priced under $50)

Devotional
Photo Album (filled with memories)
Laundry Basket (filled with laundry soap, fabric softener, roll of quarters)
Sheets
Desk Accessories
Umbrella
Iron
Coffee Maker
Footlocker
Jump Drive

One of our personal graduation traditions begins the first day of summer after 8th grade. We start an envelope for the soon-to-be Freshman, and we set aside a specific amount each pay period ($5, $10, $20... it is up to you). By the first day of summer AFTER the Senior year of school, a significant amount of cash has been saved.

We gave Austin three travel packages to choose from which matched his interests at the time (History, Theme Parks, Eating). Our top two choices were San Antonio and Washington, D.C. (San Antonio is near the world's largest water park.)

If Austin had wanted to go to a different destination, that would have been fine, too.

We told him he could choose a traveling companion, as well as the destination.

You have to know The Boy a little to understand, but he chose Washington, D.C. and his Dad. They had a great eight-day trip of plaque reading and museum hopping "D.C. Style." (I'm glad they finally ran out of money, because I was having my doubts about the scheduled return date. They were enjoying themselves a little too much, if you know what I mean.)

We are almost finished with Josh's envelope. I can't tell you what his travel packages are right now, but I'll let you know all about it after he receives his gift on the 24th.

I had once thought about taking Roxie and a friend to the Mall of America. We would stay at the Radisson Blu Hotel (on-site) and spend as many days as possible shopping, eating, watching movies, etc., etc. (There is even an Aquarium IN THE MALL. And Bubba Gump Shrimp Company. And a Rainforest Cafe. And bowling. It would be heavenly, I tell you. Heavenly!)

But The Chick has a mind of her own, so we'll see in a few years where her graduation gift will take her! (And after her trip, I'm starting my own envelope... and I'm going to spend a week at the Mall of America... and I'll probably take The Chick.)

Have a ________________ Wednesday. I decided to let you use your own adjective today. I'll be back tomorrow with Blog Linkage, Dates, pictures and more.

Take care, and I'll talk to you in the morning.

Sincerely,

The Enchanting Belinda

2 comments:

  1. Ah Sorry to hear that Roxie is home not feeling well. You are such a wonderful mama to go get her movies and her favorite drink when not feeling well. I love your quote about drama and had to send that to someone I know with 3 daughters, 2 being twin HS freshman. I love your idea for the HS grad trip and I think I will start that here, too. Hope you have an enjoyable day being a mama and taking care of your Chick.
    ~Andrea

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Andrea... I cannot imagine twin High School Freshman girls... or three daughters! Drama x 3!

      The High School Graduation Trip was a big success with Austin, and we're hoping the same for Josh. (I'm pretty sure Roxie is going to be pretty easy to please as long as she's surrounded by her friends.)

      Have a good day, and I'll talk to you later.

      Delete

Site Meter