Tuesday, July 12, 2011

White Chocolate Pecan Pie

Good Tuesday morning!

The Gallery Pics are of Roxie AFTER Boot Camp. We did not go out of town for the day, but now I really wish we had. This chick is totally drained.

ANNOUNCEMENT! ANNOUNCEMENT! ANNOUNCEMENT! - I know some of you are having trouble leaving a Comment. I've sent a formal question to my server, but as far as I can tell, you have to have a Google e-mail account or your own website. There doesn't appear to be a way to leave an "Anonymous" Comment. However, I have very limited knowledge about such things, so hopefully "The Powers That Be" will answer my very simple question.

(They did such a great job helping me post on my ORIGINAL blog address a few weeks ago! Remember?)

RANDOMNESS - Since I have now named this summer break "The Dislocated Summer of 2011," I will now share some of my insights about trying to spend family time with the following:

1. A husband who has a June 30 deadline each and every summer.

2. A 20 year-old son who has come home for the summer from college and works part-time at the Chick and cuts yards.

3. A 17 year-old son who is now a Senior in high school and works part-time at the Chick and cuts yards.

4. A 14 year-old daughter who is a Freshman in high school and is training for the Junior Varsity Volleyball and Basketball teams while attempting to stay as socially active as Paris Hilton... back in the day.

5. And me. A weary 49 year-old wife of one and mother of three who desperately longs for the days when the kids fussed about getting out of the pool, naps for the kiddos were the highlight of the day, the Summer Reading Program at the local library was a huge summertime hit and children ran through sprinklers in the evening and caught lightning bugs before coming inside to get ready for bed.

Insight #1 - Waking up LATE on a summer morning and wondering out loud, "I wonder what we'll do today," is no longer a reality. It is a thing of the past. Like the dinosaurs. It no longer exists at Faulkner Farms (circa 1842).

Semi-Solution - You must have a plan... written in ink... hanging in a prominent spot for all to see. You simply MUST! Write down all the things you want to do as a family unit. All of them. You will NOT check off everything on the list. It will not be possible. Heave a heavy sigh, and get to work!

Insight #2 - Work/athletic/social schedules between four adults rarely, if ever, coincide. (I didn't include myself in the mix because all I am trying to do this summer is coordinate. If I have anything on the calendar, it just makes things more difficult. I'll get my eyes checked and go to the dentist after school starts.)

Semi-Solution - Once you, the Mother Unit, have checked everyone's schedule for the day, if you see a two- or three-hour space where no plans have been made, make a Family Announcement. It should go something like this:

"Do not... I REPEAT... Do not make any plans between 7:32 and 9:34 tonight. We are going to watch a movie as a family. Everyone should report to the den by 7:30 p.m. No excuses!"

This may or may not work because if your guys have been working ALL day long, and they get invited to do something fun, you want them to be happy and enjoy time with their peers. Be prepared to be flexible.

Insight #3 - On the night you think no one is going to be home for dinner, put a large roast in the crockpot, prepare four side dishes and bake a dessert. Plans will be cancelled, sons will be sent home early from work and everyone will be walking through the door around 5:30 or 6:00 p.m. wondering, "What's for dinner?"

Semi-Solution - This is a sure thing... like washing your car on a day when there is a 100 percent chance of NO RAIN.

Cook the roast! And if there is any time whatsoever left after dessert before everyone scatters again, play a game of Farkle. Do it, and do it fast!

Insight #4 - The perfect family vacation for five very different individuals with five very different interests and five very different personalities can be tricky at best. At worst, it can be a nightmare!

Semi-Solution - Immediately remove the word "perfect" from the phrase "perfect family vacation." Now you've got something to work with. Even if it is just a meal, make sure there is at least ONE event during the vacation everyone can look forward to. (Our "sure thing" is one movie/pizza night. It works at home, and it works on vacation.)

That's all I'll be sharing today. I'll post two more Insights, two more Semi-Solutions and a copy of The Faulkner Five Epic Summer 2011 List as a go-by tomorrow. Of course, if you have suggestions and/or ideas that work for you and yours, please, please share.

On to today's recipe!

White Chocolate Pecan Pie

Guess what? Today is National Pecan Pie Day. That's right. It's practically a law to eat a Pecan Pie today... or at least a piece.

I have previously posted my favorite Pecan Pie recipe on this blog. It is the Southern Living Pecan Pie, and Roxie and/or I make it on occasion. It is not difficult, and it is always delicious.

However, since today is a national holiday, I will add one more easy Pecan Pie recipe to the blog. The title says it all. The only ingredient that could possibly make a regular Pecan Pie better is chocolate! Am I right?

You will need the following:

1 pre-baked pie shell
2 cups pecans
2 ounces white chocolate
2/3 cup firmly packed dark brown sugar
1/2 cup dark Karo syrup
2 tablespoons butter
1 teaspoon vanilla extract

1. Sprinkle nuts and chocolate over pre-baked crust.

2. Whisk remaining ingredients in a large bowl.

3. Pour over nuts and chocolate.

4. Bake at 350 degrees for about 25 minutes (until filling has set).

I'm going to give it a try today. I still have a little Pineapple Upside Down Cake left for dessert, but only two-fifths of the Faulkner Five are enjoying that experiment. I know at least three-fifths will try this new recipe. I'll let you know how it turns out.

NOTE - The recipe doesn't say how to prepare the 2 ounces of white chocolate, so I am going to attempt the recipe by using white chocolate chips. I know I can sprinkle those.

Have a lovely Tuesday. Tomorrow morning I'll be sharing Wednesday Wisdom, a really great Seasonal Tradition and this, that and the other. I hope you'll be able to stop by some time during your busy summer day.

Take care, and I'll talk to you in the morning.

Sincerely,

The Enchanting Belinda

No comments:

Post a Comment

Site Meter