Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Stone Fruit Preserves and Houseboating 101

Good Tuesday EVENING!

When I said I would be posting by 2:30 p.m., I had no idea it would actually be 6:30 p.m. Long day, but as promised here is Tuesday's post!

The Gallery Pics continue the theme of Houseboating on Lake Lanier. Explanations can be found under each picture.

I've decided the best way to tell about our Houseboating Adventure is to use the old Top Ten List. If I type everything that is in my mind about the trip, I'm afraid it will come out a rambling mess... unlike everything else I put on the blog.

Day One - Houseboating on Lake Lanier (Top Ten List)

1. After becoming acquainted with our boat, and Zac (our houseboat boy) giving Mikie driving instructions, we were on the lake (on our own) by 3:00 p.m. Tuesday afternoon. That means we had four or five hours of good playing time. Swimming, sliding, hot tubbing, diving, tanning, etc. It was lovely.

2. Because I knew I wouldn't want to cook a big meal our first night there, I ended up fixing a Stouffer's Lasagna with garlic toast and sweet tea. It was filling, and it definitely hit the spot. I started cooking the lasagna about an hour before we "beached" the houseboat. I also brought a cake pan full of yellow cupcakes and two different kinds of icing... already made. That dessert lasted about two days, and everyone was happy. (Not an easy accomplishment.)

3. I was mistaken when I thought we would just drop anchor in the middle of the lake each night. Houseboats are too big, heavy and cumbersome to anchor. Zac (our houseboat boy) taught Mikie how to "beach" the boat. It entailed finding a beach area (of which there were many), and driving the boat directly onto the sand. Austin and Josh were ready and waiting as soon as we "hit" shore to jump off and tie the boat securely to two different trees on the beach. It was easy breezy. Even for beginners like us. (We noticed another beached houseboat nearby. The people on that boat had brought horseshoes and were playing a game. There were also fire pits on every beach. Next year we are bringing horseshoes, matches and s'mores fixins'.)

4. There was a gas grill on the front of the boat, so we could easily have had grilled chicken, hamburgers or hot dogs one night. (Again, live and learn. We'll do that next year.)

5. There were three dining areas on the boat. One on the upper deck; one on the front of the boat; and one inside by the kitchen. For convenience sake, we didn't carry food to the upper deck, but we ate lunch and dinner on the front deck and breakfast inside. And guess what? We didn't use any bug spray and NO ONE was bitten by a bug. It could have been our odor, but we prefer to think it was just another part of a pretty perfect vacation.

6. We decided our first night would be our Faulkner Family Movie Night, and we watched one of our own DVDs. There was a microwave for popcorn, but we were still stuffed from lasagna and cupcakes, so we saved it for another time.

7. When we went to bed, everyone was worn out. We thought the boat would have more movement than it did, but it was very subtle and everyone slept very comfortably that first night.

8. We packed pretty light. Everyone's clothes fit in one large suitcase. JUST ONE! We each had an ironed short outfit for the ride to the houseboat, and an ironed short outfit for our second night "out on the town." Everything else could be categorized as "ultra" casual clothing. (Bathing suits, t-shirts, gym shorts, etc.) If you wore something twice (or even thrice), you were my favorite Faulkner that day!

9. Although the rental place provided life jackets, we had brought our own knowing they fit us perfectly. We also brought three noodles and two blow-up rafts from the Dollar Store. The water at Lake Lanier is extremely clear and clean, but also extremely deep. Life jackets and floatation devices were a must... not an option (even for semi-adult people).

10. It was a near-perfect first day. All three kids liked it. Mikie liked it. I liked it. It was almost too good to be true. We had planned on the second day being our "jet ski" day. Roxie was the only member of the Faulkner Five who knew how to ride/drive a jet ski, but I had a feeling everyone was going to enjoy that activity, too.

Tune in tomorrow, for the Top Ten List for Day Two - Houseboating on Lake Lanier.

Stone Fruit Preserves

I found this recipe in my new Southern Living Magazine. I have NEVER attempted preserves, jams or jellies. NEVER. But what the heck! Let's try something new together.

You will need the following:

4 1/2 cups peeled and diced peaches (about 2 1/2 pounds)
1 1/2 cups sugar
3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
1 (1.75 ounce) package powdered fruit pectin

1. Stir together all ingredients in a 4-quart microwave safe glass bowl.

2. Microwave at HIGH 8 minutes (mixture will boil).

3. Stir mixture and microwave at HIGH 8 to 10 minutes or until thickened. (You are going for the consistency of pancake syrup here. The mixture will thicken to soft-set preserves after it cools and chills.)

4. Cool mixture completely (about 2 hours).

5. Serve immediately, or cover and chill preserves in an airtight container until ready to serve. store in refrigerator up to 3 weeks.

I have two observations regarding this recipe.

1. I think I can actually make preserves now. I am excited!

2. I really like the word "pectin." I always have for some reason, and this week when I make my homemade preserves, I'll be able to use it over and over again.

I hope you had a wonderful Tuesday. I'll be back after 2:00 p.m. tomorrow. I have another early morning task I must complete, but I really will be back around 2:00 this time. No, really. I promise! (And I am SO SORRY about today's late post. You have no idea!)

Take care, and I'll talk to you tomorrow afternoon.

Sincerely,

The Enchanting and Ever-Apologetic Belinda

No comments:

Post a Comment

Site Meter