Saturday, July 30, 2011

Back-to-School Traditions

Good Saturday morning!

Since today is not a "normal" blogging day, I will not be posting pics in the Gallery. New photos will appear (as if by magic) first thing Monday morning!

RANDOMNESS #1 - Fun fact for you... I am a Reality TV nut. Everything from Amazing Race and Survivor to 19 Kids & Counting... and all the crazy shows in between. I'll check out most reality television shows at least once.

Mikie called me into the den to see a commercial this morning. From the makers of Deadliest Catch (a very EXCITING reality television show, by the way), Whisker Wars is making it's way to prime time. Really? Whisker Wars? Really? Men with four foot frizzy beards talking about conditioner... for their face.

I will probably pass.

Who am I kidding? I've already set my DVR to record it... over and over and over again.

I smell an Emmy!

RANDOMNESS #2 - I was sitting in a doctor's office this week and I came across three HomeLife Magazines. It has been years since I thumbed through a HomeLife Magazine. I was very impressed with the new layout and everything this publication has to offer. I am becoming a new subscriber this week!

I especially loved an article on the last page by Ivey Harrington Beckman entitled "A Fresh Take on Faith and Family." I'm going to share an excerpt with you today...

"Take a moment to look at the door that your family uses to enter your home. Think of the many people who pass through it: your spouse and children, extended family, friends, people in need -- maybe even angels unaware. When others enter your home, especially your spouse and children, are you extending grace, acceptance and hospitality? Are you embracing opportunities to make them feel truly at home in the spirit of the God who welcomes everyone with open arms? I'm not talking about extravagant gestures, but genuine expressions that communicate "I'm so glad you're here!" It can be as simple as hanging up the phone and giving your weary spouse your full attention when he walks through the door -- along with a big hug. It can be as basic as sharing a hot cup of coffee with someone who needs to know how much you and God care. Or it can be as whimsical as a song you sing for your little one when she returns home from kindergarten.

"The door to your home is the everyday pathway to fresh takes on faith and family. So snap a picture of your family in front of your door this week. Put the photo on your fridge as a reminder that every day is filled with God-given opportunities to reach out, touch someone and make a difference."

Ahhh. Words to live by. Better than that... Simple words to live by!

Wednesday Wisdom - I don't even want to know what James Dobson thinks about reality television because I'm pretty sure we wouldn't agree. Actually, I think we would totally agree, but I would have to cut my reality television habit in half to feel better about myself. So I still don't want to know.

I've posted a couple of "family" quotes from Dr. Dobson today. (I totally agree with his thoughts on family and stress.)

"Children are not casual guests in our home. They have been loaned to us temporarily for the purpose of loving them and instilling a foundation of values on which their future lives will be built."

"What is the biggest obstacle facing the family right now? It is over-commitment; time pressure. There is nothing that will destroy family life more insidiously than hectic schedules and busy lives, where spouses are too exhausted to communicate, too worn out to have sex, too fatigued to talk to the kids. That frantic lifestyle is just as destructive as one involving outbroken sin. If Satan can't make you sin, he'll make you busy, and that's just about the same thing."

That last quote hit me in the face... and the heart. "Busyness" is something I fight on a daily basis.

Back-to-School Traditions

One of my favorite scrapbookers, Ali Edwards, has a blog. And on her blog, she lists some fun back-to-school traditions. I thought I'd share these ideas with you today since "back-to-school" is literally around the corner!

1. Twelve Days Before Kindergarten - Have the kids hang their new backpack on their bedroom door 12 days before the first day of school. Each day put a little surprise in their backpack. It can be a picture book or supplies that are needed for school. (I thought this was a great way to get the kids excited about the first day of school. You could also put new "first day of school" clothing items in the backpack.)

2. Take a photo of your children on the first day of school, and then again on the last day of school... in the same outfit. You can celebrate how much they have grown in one year.

3. On the evening before school starts, host on your front lawn a neighborhood "YOU-SCREAM-WE-ALL-SCREAM-FOR-ICE-CREAM" Back-to-School Social. Supply the vanilla ice cream, bowls, spoons, napkins and have everyone else bring their favorite topping.

4. Gather as a family before bedtime and talk about the upcoming school year. Have the kids write down their personal goals (at least one, but no more than three) that they would like to accomplish in that year. Written on simple 3" x 5" cards, these personal goals were always confidential and sealed in an envelope only to be opened at the end of the school year. Follow up by a prayer and blessing.

Pretty good stuff, huh?

Have a great Saturday. I'm off to do housework... and take a picture of the Faulkner Five standing at my front door! They will be thrilled, I am sure.

I'll have Blog Linkage and a Date posted after church tomorrow. Come visit if you have a chance.

Take care, and I'll talk to you in the morning.

Sincerely,

The Enchanting Belinda

No comments:

Post a Comment

Site Meter