Thursday, July 7, 2011

A Montgomery Date

Good Thursday morning!

I have more pics from the 4th of July in the Gallery today (if you can imagine). I'm taking some Austin pics today. (He's not going to like it, but he owes me. You know. Because he weighed 9 pounds, 6 ounces when he was born... and then he went away to college and all. Yep. He owes me.)

RANDOMNESS #1 - Josh has been gone since Monday. It is now Thursday. It is time for him to come home. Like TODAY! Like NOW! Austin and Roxie are trying to kill each other. The third kid acts as a buffer, and when the buffer is gone... Well, it ain't pretty.

RANDOMNESS #2 - Roxie thought today was her last day of Boot Camp. I knew she would be beyond tired when she climbed into the Big Gold Van, but I assumed there would be a smile upon her face because IT WAS OVER! I was wrong.

"What's wrong?" I asked.

And in a monotone, slurry, too-tired to enunciate voice, she said, "Since we didn't have Boot Camp Tuesday because of the 4th (HUGE PAUSE), we have to go back next Tuesday." Too tired to sigh, she just looked at me. "Can we please go out of town next Tuesday?"

Looking at her exhausted little body, I gave in. We're going out-of-town. All the way to Leeds. We'll be gone all day, so don't try to reach me on my cell phone because I'm pretty sure we don't have service in Leeds.

And if anyone wearing a Boot Camp t-shirt asks, we've been planning this "vacation" for months and months!

RANDOMNESS #3 - I have a huge desire to see the new Tom Hanks/Julia Roberts movie. HUGE! I love Tom Hanks, and while I haven't watched EVERY movie he's ever made, I do enjoy his romantic comedy work... especially with Meg Ryan. You've Got Mail is my all-time favorite movie! (I do not count Joe Versus the Volcano. I do not think anyone should count Joe Versus the Volcano as a Tom Hanks/Meg Ryan movie. It wasn't so much a movie, as just a big cinematic mistake. A mistake which I forgive them both for making.)

If any of you blog readers have already seen it, let me know what you thought. Is it worth $9.50. (Is any movie worth $9.50?)

I'm eagerly awaiting your input here, on Facebook or via e-mail. Thank you.

Blog Linkage - I have four links for you read today. One is NEW... and so very, very good. I think it is going to become one of my favorites.

1. Click on Nitty.Gritty. under My Blog List and read the post entitled "It's never the best photo" dated July 5. Jody talks about letting go of the idea of the "perfect" family photo... and really gives you something to think about in the process.

2. Click on eighteen25 under My Blog List and look at the post entitled "(Past Projects) Kid's Crafts." I love this post because it has craft ideas AND links to other blogs with craft ideas. I KNOW you can find something fun and doable for a rainy summer day in this post.

3. Click on Confessions of a Pioneer Woman under My Blog List. At the top of her page, click on Photography. Enjoy the post entitled "Your Fireworks Shots." There are some really beautiful photos.

4. Go to www.noahsdad.com and meet a precious little guy named Noah. Noah was born with Down's Syndrome, and his Dad posts a one-minute video EVERY DAY of this sweet boy. His Dad is showing other parents what it is like raising a child with special needs... and he's doing it in the MOST excellent way!

A Montgomery Date

The Montgomery-based MOOseum opened in 1995, and offers a fun and interactive way for people of all ages to learn about Alabama's beef cattle industry.

I have never been to the MOOseum, but it is definitely a place I would have visited if I had known of its existence when the kids were small. The following is a review written by a family from Texas:

"For a museum about cattle, this is definitely the best I have ever visited. (This is also the only one I have ever visited.)

"There are two main sections, a lobby and a store.

"One section (the History Room), is full of history, some artifacts and information about cattle. (The writing on the timeline could be in better shape. Some was illegible.)

"The other section (the Play Section), has a lot for the little ones to play with. It is also a great place for them to really learn about the cattle industry. Some highlights in this area were stepping on the scale to see how we measure up to cows, dressing up like cowboys and cowgirls, pretending to partake in a rodeo, learning all about ZIP (zinc, iron and protein) in the kitchen area and reading the little facts spread all over the place.

"The lobby has some informational packets to take with you.

"This little museum is what you make of it, and we had a ton of fun exploring, learning and playing." (I think this could be said about most things in life, don't you?)

After a quick telephone call, I also found some more pertinent information!

1. The MOOseum is FREE.

2. The Gift Shop has items for sale beginning at $.25 and going up to $12 for t-shirts. (They also have cowboy hats for sale starting at $25.)

3. You don't have to make a reservation, but it is relatively small, so if a tour is ongoing, you just have to blend in with the group.

4. The MOOseum is open from 8:00 a.m. until 4:30 p.m., Monday through Friday. (They are closed for lunch from noon to 1:00 p.m.) The entire "tour" takes about 40 minutes.

5. The address, contact number and website for the MOOseum are below:

Cecilia McDaniel
The MOOseum Coordinator
201 South Bainbridge Street
Montgomery, Alabama 36102
334-265-1867
cmcdaniel@bamabeef.org

DON'T FORGET! DON'T FORGET! DON'T FORGET! - Since you are on your way to Montgomery, it would be a shame not to stop at Peach Park in Clanton on the way down or on the way back (OR BOTH) for homemade ice cream or barbecue. (Did you know they have great barbecue?) Just saying.

Have a tremendous Thursday. I'll be back in the morning with Weekend Happenings, Randomness and pictures... of something!

Take care, and I'll talk to you tomorrow.

Sincerely,

The Enchanting Belinda

No comments:

Post a Comment

Site Meter