Friday, June 17, 2011

Weekend Happenings

Good Friday morning!

I've added some old, miscellaneous pics in the Gallery today. But I'll have a bunch of NEW pictures on Monday... because it's Father's Day weekend, you see. Tons of photo ops coming up. TONS!

RANDOMNESS - My friend, Julie, gave me a little jumpstart this morning. I took Roxie to basketball practice, and slowly rolled down my window to say "Good Morning."

"The girls have to have their physical TODAY, or they cannot go to Boot Camp for volleyball next Tuesday. It has to be TODAY!"

I handled it as calmly as I always do. "WHAT DO YOU MEAN... TODAY? We don't have a free minute between now and Saturday at 4:00 p.m. What are we going to do?" I was a rock, I tell you.

You're probably wondering what was wrong with getting a physical on Monday. Well, we are scheduled to leave at 7:30 Monday morning for a basketball Play Day in Pell City. We'll be back around 6:00 that evening. Do the math!

After coming home and checking the calendar, I called Julie. "The calendar says June 28. We have another week."

"The calendar is wrong. Didn't you get the e-mail correcting the calendar?"

"Arghhh! NO!" (Can you tell I saw a pirate movie this past week?)

Then we decided upon a plan, because yelling at each other and whining didn't seem to be helping solve the problem... although it was extremely cathartic.

I called a local "doc-in-the-box," and begged them for an appointment right after practice today. They informed me they would only take walk-ins... which translates into four hours in the local "doc-in-the-box" waiting room. "Arghhh!" I wailed again.

The nurse/receptionist took pity on me, and instead of hanging up informed me they were now open seven days a week. They would be open until 6:00 p.m. Saturday, and 1:00 p.m. to 6:00 p.m. on Sunday. Oh, joy! I could breathe again.

I quickly called Julie so she could "breathe" again, too. (I am a great friend!)

And hopefully, that is the last "drama" I'll have this weekend! (Who am I kidding? I have a 14 year-old daughter! This is only the beginning of my weekend drama!)

I promised a Top Ten List for Father's Day Gifts, and I delivered!

Ideas for Father's Day - These ten ideas came from a blog called Mommy Savers.

1. When my daughter was four, we decided to do Messages in a Bottle for Dads and Grandpas for Father’s Day. We bought small bottles with corks at Wal-Mart in the Craft Department, and then I had her write a love note. We rolled it up and put it inside with some confetti and beads. Then we corked it, and put a ribbon around the neck. Her Daddy loved it, and so did the Grandpas. Cute idea and not very expensive. (From Lisa, 41, New York) (You could also hide the bottle and give Dad some clues for a little treasure hunt.)

2. Two years ago for Father’s Day, I gathered my three kids together and made a collage picture frame for their dad. I took an inexpensive clear 5" × 7" frame, cut a piece of colored construction paper to fit and assembled various pictures on the paper. The pictures included the kids, his model of car and his various hobbies and interests. He loved it! (From Pattie, 45, Pennsylvania)

3. Last year we took left over glass spaghetti sauce jars and cleaned them up. I cut slots into the lid, and I let the kids paint away. Afterward, I glued on a print out I made on the computer saying, “I wouldn’t CHANGE my Dad for anything!” It made a useful and thoughtful Change Jar gift. (From Amber, 24, Wisconsin)

4. For Father’s Day last year, my three children and I made homemade pizza and a giant cookie for my husband. He loves pizza and chocolate chip cookies so we made homemade pizza dough and put all the items he loves on top. Then we took our second pizza pan and made a giant pizza cookie and decorated the top with frosting that said Happy Father’s Day. I packed all the food into a basket with some drinks and fruit, and we went to a local park. It was a nice, relaxing Father’s Day and didn’t cost a whole lot of money. Plus, the kids got to be involved, which made it special for them, too. (From Laenie, 48, Michigan)

5. For Father’s Day this year, I am having the kids wash, dry and vacuum his car in the morning as a surprise to him! He loves his car to be shiny and clean. (Kelli, 35, from Minnesota)

6. If your Dad is a sports fan, this idea might work for you. This is great Father’s Day fun, and it doesn’t matter if the weather cooperates or not. It seems there is usually a baseball game on Father's Day on TV. We spread out a big blanket in the living room in front of the TV, have hot dogs with all the fixings, nachos and cheese dip. {I bought some of the plastic trays they use at the ballpark. You can buy them at Sam’s Club really cheap.} We have popcorn, peanuts in the shell and frosty malts, all for a small percent of what tickets, food and parking would cost at the actual game. When we are done with our “ballgame,” everything is disposable, and we just take the blanket outside and shake off the crumbs. One year I even made baseball tickets on the computer, and put them in his Father's Day card. They looked so real, he thought we were going to the actual game, but he liked staying at home where it was cool inside and the food was all you could eat without the cost. (Vinnie from Montana)

7. For Father’s Day, I took a picture of my kids holding a sign that read, “WE LOVE YOU TO PIECES," and had it developed. I bought a wooden picture frame, and the kids glued old puzzle pieces on the sides of the frame and inserted their picture inside. It was a quick, easy and inexpensive Father’s Day gift. (Sue from Connecticut)

8. Since my husband often kids with us that he is “The King,” we crowned him “King Daddy” last year! He LOVED it! We made a crown out of construction paper and decorated it with jewels. We made a cape out of a blanket. We served him a royal breakfast... all of his favorites. It was a Father’s Day none of us will ever forget. (Erika from Rhode Island)

9. This is my husband’s favorite gift. I make him a goody bag for every day of the week before Father's Day (Monday through Saturday). Six bags. In each day's bag, I put coffee and lunch money, a favorite snack for the day and a nice note from me and/or the kids. You could put anything you know he likes in the bag. His favorite gum, favorite CD to listen to while he drives, etc. My husband looks forward to his “bag” every morning. Also, he loves getting a picture of the kids in some of his "bags." (Joy from Maryland) (You could also tell him WHERE to go for lunch one day, and you and the kids could meet him there!)

10. When my husband wanted a fishing boat and we didn’t have the money, I thought of a gift he would love. I used an old glass canning jar, and bought some puffy paints (the same ones you use on material). I drew a fisherman and his boat and painted the words “Boat Fund” on the top of the jar. My girls donated some of their piggy bank money to the cause, and I added some money I had been saving. (Stephenie from Minnesota) (This idea could be used for anything Dad is saving money to buy... a special fishing pole, a hunting trip, power tool, etc., etc.)

NOTE - Feel free to share any unique, inexpensive or fun ideas you have used in Father's Days past. What worked for you might work for another!

Weekend Happenings

Tonight, we will be Roxie-less... without Roxie... one down, two to go! (Kidding. Really, I'm only kidding!) Roxie is spending time with cousins and looking forward to being with Monica. "Spending the night" and "14 year-old girls" go together like peanut butter and jelly. Will Roxie be a little grumpy Saturday night because of having so much fun and NOT sleeping? Oh, yes! Will it have been worth it? Oh, yes!

Josh is still in recovery mode from his stomach bug/food poisoning illness. He wasn't "well" yesterday, and we're hoping for a much-needed reprieve from whatever this is that has made him so sick these last few days. As far as the other Faulkners are concerned... so far, so good. That is why I keep thinking it is food poisoning. If it was a true stomach bug, I would have caught it by now.

Austin is doing his Chick thing today and tomorrow. Since Josh has missed three days of work, we're hoping he'll be clear today so he can go in for his shift tomorrow. Just like school, we're looking for 24 hours with no symptoms.

Mikie will be at work tomorrow, too. This is our June. Work, work, work. However, because it is summer, we are fortunate to be able to eat together on these late evenings when Mikie (and sometimes Roxie) get in after 8:00 p.m. (And, yes. There is a legitimate reason people tell you NOT to eat dinner late in the evening. Mike and I feel like we're going to bed each night totally bloated and beyond full. But an end to our late-night meals is definitely in the foreseeable future. Now if we can just lose the extra five pounds we have each put on!)

Sunday will be spent celebrating our fathers. We'll be eating lunch and visiting with Mike's family after church. (Yes! Matthew, Great-Nephew Extraordinaire, will be in attendance!)

As for Mikie's celebration, the last few years, we have been taking him to Dreamland for a special Father's Day dinner. However, since we're having a big lunch, the kids and I have decided to tweak this tradition a bit. We're planning on taking him to see The Green Lantern. After the movie, we are going somewhere fun for a light supper and/or snack. The gift isn't Dreamland barbecue. It is time well spent with the man the kids call "Dad," "Pop" and sometimes "Daddy." I'm looking forward to it!

Have a wonderful weekend. Enjoy your time with family and friends. Don't take it for granted. I'll be back Monday morning with a Mindless Monday post, and I would love for you to stop by if you get a chance.

Take care, and I'll talk to you Monday.

Sincerely,

The Enchanting Belinda

No comments:

Post a Comment

Site Meter