Thursday, June 23, 2011

Fun Summer Activities for Families

Good Thursday morning!

The Gallery has a picture of Roxie's new tennis shoes. Aren't they pretty? Almost too pretty to wear. There is a story behind these shoes... and I'll tell it a little bit later in the post.

REMINDERS! REMINDERS! REMINDERS! - Things have changed on A Simple Life... and are still changing as I type this post. I am sorry for this. I am a person who does not particularly like change. I feel change is bad in many situations... my blog being one of them.

1. Last Monday, Blogger (my server) would not let me post on the original A Simple Life. I could not get a new password. I could not get any answers as to when this would change, if ever. I could not POST! My old address was www.belindafaulkner.blogspot.com.

2. After working on the problem ALL day Tuesday, I set up A Simple Life at a different address (www.belinda-asimplelife.blogspot.com) and continued posting on schedule.

3. Almost 700 posts are still located at my old address (www.belindafaulkner.blogspot.com), and if you need to look up party ideas, recipes, etc. you can go there and find everything you need.

4. However, from now on, you must come to the www.belinda-asimplelife.blogspot.com address to see the new posts.

5. I know I have lost some friends and readers in this transition, but I had no control over the situation. NO CONTROL AT ALL!

6. I have found someone who is computer-savvy and is going to help me move the old posts (almost 700) to the new address. Everything will be together once again. I hope to have this done by July 1. (Do not hold your breath.)

7. It has also been brought to my attention it is difficult to leave a comment. I am working on this problem, also. Until the time I have figured out how to leave a comment, feel free to e-mail me or Facebook me, and I will respond. You can reach me at mfaulkner1306@charter.net.

The good news is Belinda's Project Life (www.belindasprojectlife.blogspot) has never had a problem. I'm still adding pictures daily. NO CHANGE!

Thanks for hanging in there with me!

RANDOMNESS - Roxie has started Boot Camp this week with the volleyball team. She has volleyball shoes (too little), and basketball shoes (not made for Boot Camp), so it was decided she needed a new pair of tennis shoes. Let it be known, I hate buying tennis shoes. They are so expensive, and I always think about the cute clothes, cute shoes and cute accessories you could buy for what it costs to purchase ONE pair of tennis shoes.

I don't feel bad buying the boys tennis shoes. Since they wear giant shoes, it always feels like a pretty good deal. I mean $60 to $80 for an item that takes two people to carry to the car... Well, that's a substantial amount of product for a substantial amount of cash.

Roxie's shoes are cute AND little AND light. You can carry them to the car holding the bag with one finger. It's a little frustrating, and I suggested she become a tennis shoe designer when she grows up, because they obviously make mega bucks and when it comes right down to it... a tennis shoe IS just a tennis shoes. Am I right?

Recently in my Body Pump class, one of the instructors noticed my old tennis shoes. I have had them for YEARS, and I have walked hundreds (nay, thousands) of miles in these shoes. They still have tread, but I will admit they have seen better days.

This particular instructor, who I like very much, mentioned IN class OVER the microphone DURING our workout, "Belinda needs to get some new shoes before the next class."

I'll be honest with you. Twenty years ago, I would have been mortified. Today, 64 days from turning 50... not so much. I just smiled, nodded and pumped weights.

During our next class, I saw her look at my tennis shoes. Class began. I pumped iron. I sucked in my abs. I felt the burn. But I knew it was bothering her I had not bought new tennis shoes. And I was right.

In the middle of our class, OVER the microphone, this instructor (who I still like very much), asked me if I had collapsible arches (Code for FLAT FEET). I answered with an affirmative nod. She then mentioned IN class OVER the microphone DURING our workout, "Belinda needs to get some new shoes before the next class BECAUSE she has collapsible arches."

I'll be honest with you again. Ten years ago, I would have been mortified. Today, 64 days from turning 50... NOT AT ALL! I just smiled, nodded and pumped weights.

When class was over, she followed me out of the classroom and talked to me face-to-face. "You really, really need to get some new shoes."

"I know. It's a budget thing. We have summer camps, vacation, etc., etc. and my shoes are on the list, but it's not time yet. These are fine for a few more weeks, and my feet are not hurting."

"I know what you're saying, but for only $230 you can have the pair of tennis shoes you need."

Let me just say, for $230 I could have two new outfits, matching sandals, enormous earrings and a pedi/mani... and be looking fine!

We agreed to disagree, and I'll be buying my new tennis shoes toward the end of July as planned.

But I'm very worried about my instructor. My tennis shoe situation is obviously causing her great stress. (I may have to give her one of my "Austin is in College, Josh is Driving and Roxie is a Teenager" pills to help her get over the hump. Like I always say, I'm a giver!)

Blog Linkage - My Blog List is on the right sidebar, AND it is functioning properly. YEA!

1. Go to My Blog List and click on Coal Creek Farm. Read ALL of the Birthday Saga posts. Each and every one! They are great. Mikie is going to sit down and read all of these ideas, too. He just doesn't know it yet.

2. Go to Confessions of a Pioneer Woman under My Blog List and scroll down to the post entitled "Storms" dated June 21. I love the pictures and the way she talks about faith.

3. Go to eighteen25 under My Blog List and scroll down to the post entitled Past Projects, 4th of July. There are some very cute 4th of July ideas in this post. I'm planning on using a couple of them myself at our family gathering in a few days.

4. Go to Nitty.Gritty under My Blog List and read the post entitled "Her Fragrance in Life" dated June 22. Jody talks about her grandmother's life, and it is just a walk down memory lane. I thoroughly enjoyed every word. It made me think!

You've got a lot of reading to do today. Better get busy!

Fun Summer Activities for Families

I found these ideas on a website entitled Coolest Dates. We've actually done a few of these "back in the day." Lots of fun, but NOT lots of money!

1. Have a "war!" You could have a pinecone war, a peanut war or even a pudding war! Be creative. It could be girls against the guys, kids against mom and dad, everyone on their own, etc. Afterwards sit down and have a picnic.

2. Have a sidewalk decoration contest with colored chalk. (We've done this one. It's fun, and it takes more time than you would think.)

3. Play backwards hide-and-go-seek. The person who is "IT" hides and everyone else has to find him/her, then they have to hide with the person until the last person finds the whole group. The last person to find the whole group is "IT."

4. Put on your oldest clothes and head to a nearby mud hole. These mud holes can be found after rainstorms at baseball diamonds, parks, fields and land that has been previously used for a garden. A long hose will also do the trick. First have a tug-of-war across the mud. Afterwards, have races where each person drags their partner through the mud. (The kids have had fun with this one. Mikie and I didn't participate, but maybe we should have. Nah!)

5. Collect a variety of flat rocks and go to a lake for a rock-skipping contest. When you are finished, enjoy a picnic dinner beside the water.

6. Using a box of Legos, Kinex, building blocks, etc., divide them evenly among the family. Each family member has 15 minutes to make a project. The winning project (as determined by applause) receives a certificate or ribbon.

7. Get a can of foamy shaving cream for each person. Find somewhere that you can make a mess, pass out cans, then ATTACK! Have a fun shaving cream fight. Make sure your family has clothes on they don't mind getting dirty.

8. List all the city parks in your area which have playgrounds. Allow space next to each park to fill in a time and date. Over several dates, visit each park and swing together, then record the date and time until you have visited each playground. (When the kids were small, we visited several parks each summer. It's fun, and at the end of the summer we would always go back to the "favorite.")

9. Catch frogs and have a frog-jumping contest.

Simple, fun, inexpensive. What are you waiting for?

Have a thrilling Thursday! I will be back in the morning to discuss Weekend Happenings and such. You know... Friday stuff!

Take care, and I'll talk to you in the morning.

Sincerely,

The Enchanting Belinda

No comments:

Post a Comment

Site Meter