Wednesday, June 29, 2011

10 Ways to Celebrate the 4th of July

Good Wednesday NIGHT!

WOW! This day totally turned out differently than planned. However, there was some good stuff in the mix, too. It wasn't a total loss!

There is NO new Gallery picture. It's all Josh's fault, and I'll explain in more detail below.

RANDOMNESS - Josh came home late last night. He had a wonderful, WONDERFUL time, and he came in telling us everything he did during the church trip in great detail.

When he stopped to take a breath, I asked the one and only question which had been plaguing me since he had left. "Did you take the ten GOOD pictures I told you to take?"

"Uh... Yeah. About that... ," his voice trailed off.

"Uh-oh. This doesn't sound good," Mikie added. (Mikie was right.)

"I kind of took two pictures on the bus, and then I kind of forgot about the camera," he said sheepishly.

I tried to remember how happy I was he was home. However, it was getting hard.

"You only took two bus pictures? That's it?"

"Yes, ma'am. But they are really good bus pictures," he assured me.

While he finished telling Mike and Austin a couple more stories, I started emptying his bag... piece by piece... dirty sock by dirty sock.

No camera.

I sat back and waited for the end of the story. "Uh, Josh. Do you have the camera in your pocket?" I asked this already knowing the answer.

"No, ma'am. It should be in that bag."

"Well, it isn't. Reckon where it could be?" I was trying so hard to be nice. I was failing so miserably.

"You know. I bet it is still at the hotel. I bet I forgot to pack it. I bet we'll never see it again."

"Ya think?" Arghhh!

I grabbed his shoulders, threw back my neck to look up at him, told him I was glad he had such a wonderful time, kissed his cheek and went to bed.

Mikie later told me he was pretty impressed I hadn't killed him.

The week isn't over yet.

Wednesday Wisdom - I'm sharing funny quotes about life situations. They are all over the place, but funny just the same.

"Tell a man there are 300 billion stars in the universe and he'll believe you. Tell him a bench has wet paint on it and he'll have to touch it to be sure." Murphy's Law (Been there... done that.)

"The odds of going to the store for a loaf of bread and coming out with only a loaf of bread are three billion to one." Erma Bombeck (This was true before Wal-Mart existed.)

"If you wonder where your child left his roller skates, try walking around the house in the dark." Leopold Fechtner

"Everything is funny as long as it is happening to somebody else." Will Rogers (Amen!)

"Never do anything that you wouldn't want to explain to the paramedics." Author Unknown (Again, been there... done that!)

"People who snore always fall asleep first." Author Unknown

10 Ways to Celebrate the 4th of July

I found this on a website, and while some of the ideas are no brainers, there were definitely a couple I could add to our own traditions.
1. Hang the Flag - First thing in the morning, hang the American flag as a family.

2. Go to a Parade - If you don't have one in your immeidate area, check nearby towns to see if they are holding a 4th of July Parade.

3. Make Some Homemade Ice Cream - You know what to do!

4. Hit the Fireworks Stands - Buy a family appropriate pack of fireworks. If you have young kids, it may be a couple of boxes of sparklers. The older the kids, the more advanced fireworks you can purchase (bottle rockets, firecrackers, etc.).

5. Go See a Blockbuster Movie - There is ALWAYS one or two great movies coming out the 4th of July weekend. ALWAYS!

6. Make Some Root Beer - This one is a little different! You will need the following:

5 gallons cold water
5 pounds white sugar
1 2-ounce bottle root beer concentrate
5 pounds dry ice

Place 4 gallons of the cold water in a large container. Add sugar and stir until dissolved. Pour in root beer extract and mix. Add the dry ice and put the lid on loosely so the gas can escape. Let it “brew” for about 15 minutes. Add the last gallon of water and let brew for another 15 minutes.

(Hey! I'll try anything once!)

7. Have a Block Party - I have a friend who lives in a neighborhood with a 4th of July Block Party. The Dads grill. The Moms bring side dishes. Everyone makes a container of homemade ice cream. It's a great way to relax and enjoy the evening!

8. Light Up the Grill - People in Alabama are born knowing how to do this. Nuff said.

9. Blow Stuff Up - This is also something people in Alabama are very proficient doing.

10. Watch Some Fireworks - The perfect way to end a perfect ending. Check locally for a large firework display in your area. Get there in plenty of time to set up chairs and blankets so you can enjoy the show.

I'd love to hear about your traditions if you have a minute. Just leave them in the Comment Section, on Facebook or e-mail me. I will post the traditions and give you and your family the credit.

Take care, and I'll talk to you later.

Sincerely,

The Enchanting Belinda

No comments:

Post a Comment

Site Meter