Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Spend Your Birthday Enjoying the Word "FREE" Tradition

Good Wednesday morning!

The Gallery Pics are left over from Monday's trip to Bass Pro Shop. (I REALLY need to go to the Zoo. However, I will not go until the temps drop into the 70s. Been there. Done that. Big sweaty, smelly mistake!) On the other hand, the Bass Pro Shop is cool AND smells like fudge and saltwater taffy. It reminds me of the mountains.

DON'T FORGET! DON'T FORGET! DON'T FORGET! - If you want to look at posts from the original A Simple Life, go to www.belindafaulkner.blogspot.com. I found someone who can help me move my older posts to my new website. I hope to have everything TOGETHER again by July 1.

RANDOMNESS #1 - This Thursday night (TOMORROW), a new reality show is beginning. Expedition Impossible! The guy who created Survivor made this show, too. The previews look like "Amazing Race Meets Survivor Meets Adrenaline Junkies." I think it's going to be good!

RANDOMNESS #2 - Do y'all ever "name" your summers? Am I the only one who does this? For a few years when the kids were smaller, our summers were named "Summer of the Pool - 2000," "Summer of the Pool - 2001," etc. One summer we spent an unusual amount of time at Froggie's. Thus, the name "Summer of Froggie's." Another summer, my kids attended TWO Vacation Bible Schools (because they wanted to), and that summer was called "Summer of VBS."

Last year, we vacationed at Amelia Island during the Heat Wave of 2010 (and almost DIED from heat exhaustion, fire sand and dehydration). We named the season "Summer of Hellfire and Brimstone." A little dramatic perhaps, but unfortunately accurate.

I know. I'm not quite right.

This summer has been hard to name. If Roxie worked at Chick-Fil-A, I could call it "Summer of the Chick." However, she does NOT work at the Chick... yet. If the boys were working out once or twice a day for volleyball or basketball, I could call it "Summer of Muscles."

As it stands now, when Roxie comes in from workouts, one of the guys leaves for their Chick shift. When one guy comes back, the other one leaves for his Chick shift. Roxie then makes plans with chick friends. Hmmm. The nest isn't exactly emptying, but it is needing a revolving door installed.

I'll come up with something soon. I'll keep you apprised! (That's a term I used in my legal secretary days over two decades ago. I am so incredibly OLD.)

RANDOMNESS #3 - I tried to walk with Mikie last night. I thought it would be good since my exercise schedule is sporadic at best the last few weeks. I imagined us talking, laughing and planning the rest of our summer after his "busy" time at work ends in the next few days. I was so wrong.

I can't describe it, but Mikie doesn't really walk. However, it isn't a run either. But it is extremely fast, and after 12 years of non-stop walking with all kinds of walking buddies, it was HARD.

At first I thought he was trying to impress me, but it soon became apparent I was being out-walked by a novice. He does seven-minute miles (or less). As it turns out, I am quite comfortable with 12-minute miles (or more).

He tried to slow down to accommodate my wheezing and whining, but he just couldn't do it, so at the one-mile mark, I bid him a fond farewell and headed to the house to finish putting dinner on the table.

I haven't decided if I'm going to walk with him again. (Right now, I'm thinking NOT!)

Wednesday Wisdom - I have chosen former First Lady, Barbara Bush, as the "giver" of today's wisdom. I've always liked her matter-of-fact, no-nonsense way of talking. She makes sense to me.

"At the end of your life, you will never regret not having passed one more test, not winning one more verdict or not closing one more deal. You will regret time not spent with a husband, a friend, a child, or a parent." (Love, love, love this one.)

"I married the first man I ever kissed. When I tell this to my children, they just about throw up."

"I may be the only mother in America who knows exactly what their child is up to all the time." (Very, very funny.)

"I think togetherness is a very important ingredient to family life." (Yes. I totally agree.)

"It seems to me I spent my life in car pools, but you know, that's how I kept track of what was going on." (Yes. I totally agree... again.)

I heard a story about President George Bush and his Mother. When George Bush was President, he was spending time at their home in Texas. He came in from running and was dripping with sweat. In front of his Mother and Father, he sat down on a couch and put his feet on an ottoman.

"What do you think you're doing? Get OFF the furniture, and go take a shower... NOW," his Mother demanded.

He got up, left and headed for the shower.

"Barbara. You cannot talk to him like that. He's the President of the United States," her husband admonished her.

"Well, as President of the United States, he should know better," she replied.

I loved that. He might have been President, but he was still her son.

Spend Your Birthday Enjoying the Word "FREE" Tradition

I found most of these FREEBIES from a website called The Fabulous Life of a Coupon Addict (www.thefabulouslifeofacouponaddict.blogspot.com). Always be sure to pre-register or call before your birthday to make sure this is offered in your area or has not been discontinued.

Applebee's - Sign up for Applebee’s e-mails, and you’ll score a FREE dessert on your birthday.

Auntie Anne’s - Sign up for Pretzel Perks and score monthly coupons, and a FREE pretzel coupon on your birthday.

Ben and Jerry’s - Sign up for Chunk Mail to receive a FREE Ice Cream Treat on your birthday, plus a discount coupon for an ice cream cake.

Blue Bell - Join the Blue Bell Country Club and score a FREE half gallon of ice cream during your birthday month.

California Pizza Kitchen - Register your kiddos (ages 10 and under) for the CPKids Birthday Club so that they can receive a FREE CPKids meal during their birthday month.

Chuck E Cheese’s - Join the e-mail club and receive coupon offers, free tokens for your kiddo’s birthday and much more.

Cold Stone Creamery - Join their birthday club and receive a free ice cream dessert coupon to be used during your birthday month. (We've done this for years. It's good stuff, and you don't have to actually go on your birthday. You can spread the celebration out a little.)

Dairy Queen - Join the Blizzard FanClub and score a coupon for a FREE 16-ounce Blizzard Treat with the purchase of another 16-ounce Blizzard Treat on your birthday/

Firehouse Subs - Receive a FREE medium celebratory sub on your birthday when you come with a valid I.D. that has your birthdate. (We have a new Firehouse Subs in our town. I'm checking it out today!)

Godiva Chocolates - Sign up for the Godiva Chocolate Club and receive a FREE piece of candy each month. (Whenever Roxie and I go to the Galleria, we head straight to the Godiva Chocolate store and start our shopping trip with a truffle.)

IHOP - Sign up for the Pancake Revolution, receive a free meal upon signing up and a free meal on your birthday.

Justice - Sign up your kiddo for Justice e-mails, and you’ll receive discounts via e-mail and a special discount/coupon on your birthday.

K-mart - Sign up your kiddos for the K-mart Birthday Club, and they’ll receive $5.00 in Birthday bucks, a birthday crown, a Happy Birthday certificate AND a birthday fun pack!

Planet Smoothie - Sign up for the newsletter and get free birthday goodies.

Red Lobster - Join the Fresh Catch Club and get a special birthday surprise.

Ruby Tuesday - Join the So Connected E-mail Club and receive a "Buy 1 Get 1 Free" entree coupon upon sign-up, plus get a coupon for a free burger on your birthday.

Sephora - Become a Beauty Insider and get a free birthday gift (i.e. Sephora Collection Beautiful Eyes Kit).

Toys R Us - Sign up your kids (10 and under) for Geoffrey’s Birthday Club and you’ll receive a free party planner with a special offer, a birthday greeting card and gift, an in-store celebration (including a birthday crown, a balloon, and an in-store announcement) and even a birthday call from Geoffrey.

You could do this each and every year on your birthday. Pick and choose breakfast, lunch and dinner (collecting your FREE things along the way). Go to the stores which offer birthday deals and see how much STUFF you can get for FREE on your special day. (Or your child's special day. What a great birthday date!)

If you know of any other fun, FREE birthday offers, be sure to post them in the Comment Section, on Facebook or e-mail me. I'll add them as I get them... and I'll give you the credit.

Have a blessed Wednesday. Don't forget to encourage someone today. It can be someone you know, or the stranger who hands you a Caramel Frappe' through the McDonald's drive-thru window. (Now you know one of my "errands" I have planned for this day.) Be especially kind to someone this Encouraging Wednesday.

I'll be here bright and early Thursday morning with Blog Linkage AND a date. (I have some very good linkage.)

Take care, and I'll talk to you tomorrow.

Sincerely,

The Enchanting Belinda

1 comment:

Site Meter