Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Lightened Squash Casserole

Good Tuesday morning!

I've added a couple more basketball pics to the Gallery today. I always hold a few out in case I have a slow picture-takin' day at the Farm. And yesterday was such a day.

RANDOMNESS #1 - Okay! I'm going to remind you about the Butt Naked Candle Contest which begins this FRIDAY, JULY 1 and ends WEDNESDAY, JULY 6! That's right. You have five FULL days to enter your name in the Comment Section, Facebook or you can e-mail me at mfaulkner1306@charter.net. Be sure and mention the word "Candle" at least once, and your name will be put in the bowl for the drawing on July 6!

REMEMBER - I don't mind shipping to out-of-towners. I don't mind a bit!

RANDOMNESS #2 - Josh is still gone. He was in Kentucky yesterday. He is in Ohio today. He needs to be in Alabama by tomorrow. And that's all I'm going to say about that.

RANDOMNESS #3 - Grandmother introduced all the grandkids to the easy, breezy dice game called Farkle. Austin picked up some groceries for me yesterday, and I put a Farkle game on the list as well. As soon as he walked into the house, he taught me how to play... and I was hooked.

I LOVE Farkle. And not just the word "Farkle" (although that is one of the main reasons). I love that it costs only $5. I love that you don't have to be a "rocket surgeon" to understand the instructions. Please go to Wal-Mart and purchase a Farkle game today. I don't think you'll regret it!

RANDOMNESS #4 - Ready or not, I am in the throes of menopause. I don't mind saying it. I'm thinking of having a T-shirt made with the following printed on the front... "Menopause doesn't kill. WOMEN with Menopause kill." What do you think? I bet I could sell a million of them!

So far I have 17 out of the 34 symptoms... and if you've known me two minutes, you know my new goal is to have all 34 symptoms! I'm working on "Irritability and Irrational Thinking" today. (I'm pretty sure I've got that one in the bag!)

Lightened Squash Casserole

I have fresh squash thanks to Mikie's family, and a new recipe in my Southern Living magazine. I am good to go in the Ingredient Department!

You will need the following:

3 pounds yellow squash (GOT IT!)
1/2 cup chopped sweet onion (I USE ONION SALT! GOT IT!)
1 1/2 teaspoons salt, divided (ALWAYS GOT IT!)
1 cup grated carrots (DARN! I'VE GOT TO MAKE A GROCERY STORE RUN!)
1 can reduced-fat Cream of Chicken soup (GOT IT!)
1 8-ounce container sour cream (GOT IT!)
1/4 cup chopped fresh chives (BELIEVE IT OR NOT... GOT IT!)
1/2 cup crushed cornflakes cereal (I WONDER IF FROSTED FLAKES WOULD WORK?)
1/2 cup crushed French fried onions (I'M PUTTING IT ON THE LIST.)
2 tablespoons melted butter (I HAVE THE EVER POPULAR TUB O' BUTTER!)
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper (YES! GOT IT, TOO!)

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

2. Cut squash in 1/4" thick slices. Place in Dutch oven. Add onion, 1 teaspoon salt and water to cover. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat and cook 5 minutes. Drain well, and pat squash dry with paper towels.

3. Stir together grated carrots, next 3 ingredients and remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt in a large bowl.

4. Fold in squash mixture. Spoon into a lightly greased 2-quart oval baking dish. (I WONDER WHAT WOULD HAPPEN IF I USED A 2-QUART SQUARE BAKING DISH INSTEAD? HMMM.)

5. Stir together cornflakes and next 3 ingredients in a small bowl. Sprinkle over squash mixture.

6. Bake for 30 to 35 minutes or until bubbly and golden brown, shielding with aluminum foil after 20 to 25 minutes to prevent excessive browning.

Mikie is going to be SO happy tonight. He loves his squash. And I'm going by a produce stand today to get some fresh tomatoes, so he is going to be twice blessed. It takes so little to make him content. (I wish the teenagers around here were like that!)

Have a fantastic Tuesday. Enjoy, enjoy, enjoy your time with family and friends today. We are going to be incredibly busy on A Simple Life tomorrow. We always are on Wednesdays! Be sure to visit if you get a moment.

Take care, and I'll talk to you in the morning.

Sincerely,

The Enchanting Belinda

3 comments:

  1. LOVE LOVE LOVE my Butt Naked candle. The entire house smells wonderful. Thank you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's the testimonial I needed. Feel free to enter the contest again on Friday, Dawn. You may win again!

    ReplyDelete

Site Meter