Friday, May 9, 2014

Weekend Happenings, Blog Linkage

Good Friday morning!

RANDOMNESS #1 - The MotherWalk 5K for Ovarian Cancer is first thing tomorrow morning... and Team Tootsie is 19 strong this year.

Some of us are going to run the 5K (not me), and some of us are going to enjoy the Fun Run (ME).

Some of us are going to be sitting under big trees in camp chairs (me at some point), and some of us are going to be taking pics, pics, pics (mostly me).

I cannot wait to share the "new" stuff with you Tuesday.


MotherWalk 2012. Grandmother and Josh walking the Fun Run. (In 2013, Josh ran the 5K AND the Fun Run along with most of the cousins.)


MotherWalk 2013. Grandmother giving Roxie a non-sweaty hug before the Fun Run.


MotherWalk 2013. I loved this MotherWalk Poodle. Very festive.


MotherWalk 2013. Brad, Stephanie and Grandmother.


MotherWalk 2013. Last year, Mother received this bouquet of roses for being an Ovarian Cancer Survivor. Needless to say, we're looking forward to receiving another bouquet at Motherwalk 2014!

RANDOMNESS #2 - My friend, Cam, received a most precious gift this past December. It came in the form of her first grandchild, Ellie.

I'm going to step out on a limb here and say if you're ever wondering what to give your 50-something year-old Mother for Christmas, a grandchild would be the most perfect gift... EVER!

Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.

I mentioned to Cam I would love to take Grandmother/Granddaughter pics of her and Ellie at her house whenever she felt like it, and I was so glad she felt like it last week.

A good time was had by all.

Ellie was talkative, sweet and cooperative for the hour and 15 minutes we took pictures...

And beautiful. Such a bright-eyed, pretty little bundle of pink.


No make-up necessary... Just a little drool here and there.


What babies really think when grown-ups put them in tulle tutus.




I love baby parts!


The chick rocks the bonnet, don't you think?

I know it's wrong, but I have found myself coveting Cam's granddaughter these past few days.

Really, really bad.

I'm going to have to hit the altar bright and early Sunday morning!

RANDOMNESS #3 - Roxie was inducted into the National Honor Society Wednesday night. For some reason, The Faulkner Five were ALL able to attend the festivities.

I mean, it just worked out all by itself.

And it was lovely.


Since Hunter is a Senior and already a member of the National Honor Society, he was Roxie's "sponsor."


Roxie and Hannah.


Roxie, Logan, Logan and Ally.


Roxie and Seth.


Roxie and Josh.


Roxie and Mikie.



Roxie and Austin.


Roxie and Savannah.


Roxie and Kendall.

Roxie and Hunter.

A waffle cone at the DQ finished a good night off sweetly, and we headed for the house.

RANDOMNESS #4 - I wrote about Austin last Tuesday, and today I'm going to write about Roxie. Josh will finish out the trilogy next Tuesday!

At this particular stage of being a Mother to two young adult men and one teenage girl, I am interested in trying to figure out if anything I taught them over the past 17 to 23 years has "stuck."

What impact did all my hard work, sweat and tears have on the three individuals I watch go in and out, in and out, in and out of my front door all day long?

Sometimes I am very sad and despondent because it would appear that nothing, nada, not one thing "stuck."

Heavy, heavy sigh.

At other times, I am ecstatic and giddy because it would also appear even though they fought tooth and nail against it happening, a part of me is so ingrained in them, they had no idea it was a part of them until it was too late.

They just thought it was their very own character flaw.

Roxie is my only girl, so for gender purposes alone, I thought we would have a ton of stuff in common.

Not so much.

I thought because I love scrapbooking and documenting all things family, so would she.

I thought because I love watching one, two or three movies back-to-back in a dark theater, so would she.

I thought because I love tea rooms and eating tiny sandwiches and three different kinds of fancy little salads, so would she.

I thought because I love to roam aimlessly through the Botanical Gardens or Zoo in the Fall and Spring for hours at a time, so would she.

I was so very, very wrong.

However, The Chick DOES like to try different shops, restaurants and activities in little towns to see what they have to offer.

She likes to explore a little bit.

But, she also likes to have a plan.

Ahhh. Now we're talking!

I love to pick a place (far or near) and plan, plan, plan where to eat, what to do and where to shop.

One day, she and Hunter were sitting on the couch and she called out to me, "Mom! Can you plan a cheap, fun, DIFFERENT kind of date? Now?"

Well, that just made my day.

"Yes! Yes, I can!"

And within ten minutes of the original request, I gave her two sheets of paper with lists of activities, restaurants and interesting shops in and around the Homewood area.

She and Hunter read the list and headed out. I wasn't sure what they were going to try, but I felt confident my "list" would guarantee a good time!

On that particular day, they went to Ed's Pet World (which they described as a little sketchy, but pretty fun) and Steel City Pops.

Yes! Success!

Last year, I took Roxie on a Last Day of School Date... Just me and The Chick. I did my research and we headed to Cahaba Heights where we ate at O'Carr's Deli AND shopped in four little shops for some Summer outfits and accessories. It didn't last all day, but while it did last it was fun.

So much fun, in fact, I am planning another Last Day of School Date, just me and The Chick, for 2014, too.

And, when I mentioned I wanted to take her and a friend to Nashville for an overnight Senior photo shoot and FUN, she was all in because I assured her everything would be new and semi-exciting.

I think it was the semi-exciting promise that got her going!

I feel certain over the years, Roxie will become more and more like me in other ways (bless her heart), but for right now, I'm happy to say we are explorers of new and semi-exciting places all over the South.

And maybe one day... THE WORLD!

She got that from me!

Blog Linkage

Since Mother's Day is this weekend, I wanted to share these two blog posts with you today...

1. Go to www.kellehampton.com and read her post on being a mother. So sweet, and of course, she added the cute kid pics to go along with the words.

2. This is a new blog started by the daughters of our former Pastor, Lindsey and Alli, and their friend, Katie. There are over 20 other women who will be writing posts for this blog.

I'm pretty sure it is going to be a great tool for moms of all ages, and I'm looking forward to checking it out often.

Go to www.missionalmotherhood.com.

NOTE - The very first blog post is written by Donna Gaines!

Weekend Happenings

1. Our weekend is going to start out slowly, but surely. Mike and I will be at the house tonight, and as I understand it, people will be in and out throughout the evening.

And by "people," I mean the kids.

And by "the kids," I mean their friends, too.

Needless to say, I'm a-bakin' brownies today!

2. Tomorrow morning, we will be participating in the MotherWalk in Crestline. After the MotherWalk, we will head to the nearest Cracker Barrel for a big ol' "we-just-finished-a-5K-and-Fun-Run" lunch.

We always go to Cracker Barrel because it seems to fit our needs in terms of space, loudness (it absorbs us) and menu variety.

3. Saturday night, Mike and I will be attending the 18th Annual Garden Art Party Live and Silent Auction benefiting Alzheimer's of Central Alabama.

As you may or may not recall, we've been attending this event for the past several years, and it is always so much fun.

I'll let you know the items we bid on in Tuesday's post.

4. Sunday is Mother's Day, and I'm expecting a big ol' CORSAGE. That's right!

We'll be going to Oxford to celebrate Mother's Day with Mike's family with lunch and desserts.

(And I'll be celebrating my own Mother's Day NEXT Sunday. I'll have more details about those plans Tuesday and/or Friday.)

I expect we'll be eating cereal and collapsing Sunday night, but I'm not 100 percent certain.

Who am I kidding?

I AM 100 percent certain.

Have a fantastic Mother's Day Weekend. I'll be back Tuesday with MotherWalk pics and stories, Mother's Day pics and stories and much, much more.

Take care, and I'll talk to you next week.

Sincerely,

The Enchanting Belinda

1 comment:

  1. EB: Having raised a daughter - I see your path running parallel to mine in the arena of "I thought since I birthed you we should be joined forever by blood" and all that goes with that misconception. Daughters like ours will stretch and grow much once college is finished and the day comes that they say, "mother I can do this without you. I need to breathe." maybe not those exact words but very similar. Be prepared and I'll get back to you in six years. p.s. - I do say your bent to planning tires me and all I do is read about it. ~grins~

    ReplyDelete

Site Meter