Wednesday, July 24, 2013

The Lake - Day Three, Another Copper Story

Good Wednesday morning!

RANDOMNESS #1 - Apartment hunting in the monsoon-like rain went well yesterday. Josh and I found a complex we both like, and now Josh, Mike and I are just trying to figure out the many, many details.

My mind hurts.

And my heart ain't feeling too well, either.

RANDOMNESS #2 - Austin/The Boy/The Man interviewed and got a part-time radio job last week. I'll be telling you more about that tomorrow.

If you are keeping track, he has TWO part-time jobs in his major (Communications), he's sill working at the Chick AND he is still cutting yards.

He's looking forward to football season, because all of his part-time work has to do with football in some way or another.

RANDOMNESS #3 - Another Copper Story - Forgive me if I've already told you this story. I would look through the Archives myself, but it would take a little thing called time, and I'm a little strapped for time this morning.

That's two mornings in a row if you're keeping count.

On one of Copper's "adventures," he once again left the safety of our fence at dusk.

We searched high and low... and other places, too.

We would come in for awhile, and then head out again looking for our little lost beagle.

Austin went on a long drive when he came home from work, and he was also unsuccessful.

At 11:00 p.m., I went on Facebook to see if anyone had seen a wayward beagle, and much to my surprise, I had a message...

From my friend, Stephanie...

Who lives in Warrior...

Far, far away from my house.

Someone else had posted a picture of a beagle they had found (Copper), and Stephanie recognized him from previous "lost and found" pics.

I got in touch with Stephanie around 11:15. She sent me the picture. I confirmed it was Copper. She sent me a telephone number. At 11:30 p.m., Mike left a message on someone's answering machine asking them if they had our dog.

The only reason we called so, so late was because in one of the pictures, Copper was sitting in the front of the van... in front of a clock... and it was almost 11:00 when they posted the picture.

Within seconds, we received a call from a young man who lived a mile or so from our home saying he had Copper, and we were welcome to pick him up because he and his wife were still awake.

Copper's new friends told us the following story.

They were running on the outside track at Gardendale Civic Center when a sweet beagle (with a limp) joined them in their run. He made it around one time, and then it was time for the couple to go home.

They petted the little beagle on his sweet head and opened the doors of their van.

Copper jumped in the passenger seat.

They photographed him and posted his picture on Social Network.

And then they took him home.

They already have three dogs, and when one of their pets came out of his house to check out the new guy, Copper took the opportunity to make himself at home.

When we arrived, Copper was asleep in a strange doghouse, in a strange house... and was content.

The sweet couple woke him up and brought him to the door.

He made a wide circle AWAY from Mikie and headed straight to me (which was extremely good-thinking on his part).

We were thrilled to have him home (again), but now we were concerned because he was crossing Highway 31 which has very heavy traffic.

Keeping Copper at home and safe has turned into our family's number one goal.

So far, today has been a good day!

The Lake - Day Three

Day Three of our Lake Vacation was spent fishing... just The Faulkner Five.

Mike and Josh went on an early morning fishing trip.

Mike and Austin went on a mid-morning fishing trip.

Mike went on an early afternoon fishing trip.

Mike and Roxie and Josh went on a late evening fishing trip.

When they weren't looking for "honey spots" on the boat, they were fishing from the pier.


Mike and the kids caught several fish in our pier area.


This was the biggest fish Mike caught all week. He estimated it to be around 4 pounds, but because I'm a good wife, I'm going to say it weighed 6 pounds... at least.

The total fish count for July 15, 2013 is officially Mike - 4; Roxie - 1; Josh - 1.

I know what you're thinking.

She kept an official "fish count" for each day of vacation?

Yes. Yes, she did.

I also kept track of visitors, dinner menu (Chicken Bacon Ranch Pasta and Fruit), family movie choices (Karate Kid II), family game night choices (Poker), etc.

At the end of each and every day, Mike and the kids had to rate the Lake Vacation on a scale of 1 - 10.

Monday, July 15 received a 9 from Mikie and the kids.


Josh and Roxie coming in from their evening fishing trip. (We did catch and release, so I didn't get a picture of their fish before they set them free. I did, however, hear they were scary big.)


Austin taught us how to play Texas Hold 'Em. I started to understand the game toward the end, but I still need a lot of practice.


Three...


Guesses...


Who...


Won!

Yep. Roxie was the picture of a gracious and classy victor.

(She gets that from her Mama.)


Our landlady met us at the cabin the first day, and she said, "Remember. Monday is Garbage Eve. You'll need to take the cans out to the road Monday night because the garbage truck comes really early."

I thought this was hilarious.

Garbage Eve.

HA!

So I took this picture of St. Josh with the big white bag of garbage slung over his shoulder on his way out the door to celebrate Garbage Eve.

Mike and the kids failed to see the humor.

I'll be back in the morning with The Lake - Day Four. Don't worry. It will include the daily Fishing Count, Family Movie Choice and Family Dinner Choice. And pics. I still have 1,000 or so pics.

It will be totally riveting, I tell you.

Take care, and have a great Wednesday!

Sincerely,

The Enchanting Belinda

2 comments:

  1. Obviously Copper is gathering material for his book, "A Beagle's Eye View of the Streets of Gardendale: How to cross Highway 31 and live." He must be a cat in dog's clothing (e.g. the nine lives theory.) Have you tried the 'shock collar' fence system?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We had the shock collar when we first adopted Copper (7 years ago) for a little while. For a reason I no longer remember, we opted for the big fence.

      We're revisiting the shock collar fence idea again.

      We'll be making a decision very soon!

      Delete

Site Meter