Monday, July 1, 2013

Mindless Monday, Blog Linkage, MORE 4th of July Ideas

Good Monday morning!

Okay. I'm still having trouble with the pictures on the blog. I'm doing everything EXACTLY the same, but some of the pictures remain HUGE and others SMALL.

I've done everything I know to do with my very limited knowledge of the computer.

It is a giant problem. I mean, it's right up there with world peace, getting rid of cellulite and what color I need to use for my next pedicure.

But, please. Do not worry. I'm going to figure this one out all by myself, and you don't need to clutter your mind with what will probably become a monumental, life-changing task.

Breathe. It's going to be okay. Just breathe...

RANDOMNESS #1 - I had my first migraine last Thursday evening.

For clarity's sake, I will mention I thought I had experienced a migraine earlier in my life... but I was sorely mistaken.

Austin, The Lovely Melia, The Lovely Melia's Mom (Lisa) and I went on a little outing to Cullman Thursday evening. Somewhere between here and there, I started having a pain above my left eye.

As the evening progressed, so did the pain.

I ALWAYS carry Excedrin Migraine in my purse. If a headache begins, I put a stop to it with an Excedrin Migraine... or two.

In my 51 years on this earth, I have never NOT had an Excedrin Migraine tablet with me when I needed it... until June 26, 2013.

Or as that date will now and forevermore be known... The Day The Enchanting Belinda's Head Almost Exploded.

By the time I asked Melia and Lisa if they had anything in their purses to put me out of my misery, I now know it was too late.

Lisa had migraine medication in her purse she keeps in case her hubby, Tim, has a need. Unfortunately, he is a migraine sufferer.

I immediately popped it into my mouth and waited with eyes closed for relief.

I INSISTED Melia, Lisa and Austin go into the restaurant and eat their meal. I just needed to sit in a dark car with my eyes closed and remain perfectly still.

Light, movement and sound were my enemies.

Lisa wanted to leave immediately and take me home. I couldn't stand the thought of being in a moving car.

Austin came out to check on me, but I quickly got rid of him.

He was producing too much sound.

At one point, I opened my eyes just a tiny bit and saw floating above me a Comfort Inn and Suites sign... and a plan emerged.

Instead of using my old go-to plan when I am in pain (the local Emergency Room), why not check into a hotel room for the evening?

Why not, indeed?

I wasn't going to survive a 45-minute drive home.

I NEEDED a dark, cool room with a bed... and hopefully, a complimentary breakfast the following morning if I was still alive.

Lisa quickly drove me into the driveway of the hotel, and Austin helped me get to the front desk.

We didn't have a major credit card or enough cash to get a room, but I whispered to the man at the Front Desk, "I am sick. I need a room. Austin is going to call his Dad to get the credit card number. I know that is not how you normally do it, however... ."

And the man at the Front Desk (who will hereafter be referred to as MY HERO) said, "Don't worry about a thing. We'll take care of it."

He quickly gave me a room key.

Austin helped me to the room and went back downstairs to finalize the check-in process.

Melia and Lisa waited in the lobby until Mike arrived. They took Austin home, and he and Mikie switched off "Take Care of Mom/Belinda" duties.

Around midnight, the pain started to subside, and Mike and I talked for awhile until I was able to drift off.

I awoke the next morning pain-free, but fuzzy in the head... and I partook of a very nice complimentary breakfast before Mikie and I hit the road for Gardendale.

I would like to make some observations about the people I call family before ending this little tale:

1. Austin sat in a dark room putting hot compresses on my forehead for over an hour waiting for his Dad to relieve him.

2. He called numerous pharmacists using a soft, soft voice to ask them if I could take Excedrin Migraine tablets on top of the other migraine medication I had taken.

3. When he left the room for a minute to check on Lisa and Melia in the lobby, the door barely made a sound.

4. He was SO good to me.

5. Lisa and Melia were beyond sweet to me, also. I felt awful messing up our fun evening, but they assured me they would get over it... and I really appreciated it.

6. Mikie had quite an evening prior to coming to my rescue, too. He had watched Roxie play her final game at camp Thursday night, taken Josh's spare key to him at work because he had locked himself out of his truck, received the "come stay with Mom" call from Austin, drove home and packed a super-quick bag for our impromptu night away in Cullman.

When we woke up the next morning, he asked me how I was feeling before he said, "You know, I think you would do just about anything to get a complimentary breakfast."

He knows me too well.

If you EVER have a migraine and you see me out and about, feel free to ask me for medication. I have an Excedrin Migraine taped to my left collarbone at all times now.

And on most days, I would be more than willing to share!

RANDOMNESS #2 - Roxie attended Basketball Camp at Birmingham Southern this past week. Within a 48-hour period, The Lady Rockets played nine games with teams from Alabama, Georgia and beyond.

It was exhausting, but fun.

Especially for me...

And my camera.

These are just a few of my favorites from the past weekend. (Some big, and some small.)



The ponytails were flying!



When in doubt, use jazz hands!



Sometimes, it is safe to say NO ONE knows where the ball might be hiding.

RANDOMNESS #3 - As you already know, Roxie makes Bev's birthday cake every year, and Katie makes my birthday cake.

Bev's birthday is June 24, but because she was out-of-town, we celebrated yesterday.

Roxie looked and looked for a cake to "fit" Aunt Bev... and she found it!


"With Age Comes Wisdom."

The chick did a good job, didn't she?

Roxie is a fan of the cupcake cake. It's like putting a puzzle together.

On the other hand, Katie likes working with fondant.


This was the cake she made for my 50th birthday party.

Between these two girls, my grandchildren and Bev's grandchildren should always, ALWAYS have a good-lookin' cake.

Blog Linkage - Go to Confessions of a Pioneer Woman under My Blog List and read Friday's post entitled "Last Year's Celebration... Tomorrow's Show." Each year, Ree and her family host a HUGE 4th of July pot-luck celebration at their ranch in Oklahoma. It's fun to see how "others" celebrate. I'll go ahead and tell you... FIREWORKS play a big part in their 4th of July party plans.

MORE 4th of July Ideas

Okay. You know back in the day I had three small children.

You also know, our annual 4th of July tradition the first ten years of Austin's life took place at my Mom's house. As we added grandchildren, Mom added baby pools and sprinklers and 4-wheelers and... Well, you get the idea.

Since The Faulkner Five had a membership to the community pool, we decided to make the 4th of July an "eat barbecue, homemade ice cream and swim at the pool" kind of holiday.

That transition lasted eight years.

Then came the time when some of the kids felt like swimming and others did not, and we found ourselves in holiday transition time once again.

We added the 4th of July Blockbuster Movie to our holiday, as well as games (Uno, Bunco, Farkle, etc.).

But this year, we're taking it outside, BABY! We're not going to let the Alabama humidity and heat stop us! No, siree!

We're having a giant slip and slide, water balloon horseshoes, water balloon badminton, watermelon seed spitting contests... and just a few other surprises.

I'm going to have to tell you the rules to water balloon horseshoes and water balloon badminton Friday morning. I have to keep a few surprises up my sleeve.

Plus, I'm still working on some of the details.

Roxie was a sport last night, and she tried out the slip and slide to make sure the hill was steep enough... and the tarps were slippery enough.

And it appears the tarps were fine!




Are we having fun yet?


It would appear NOT.


And the pain continues.


Don't worry. There were plenty of smiles during the trial run, too.

Of course, I know it is supposed to rain Thursday.

Of course, I have a Plan B.

Of course, I'll tell you all about it Friday morning!

I'll be back the end of the week with a 4th of July recap, pictures and Weekend Happenings.

Take care, and I'll talk to you then.

Sincerely,

The Enchanting and Ever-So-Patriotic Belinda

No comments:

Post a Comment

Site Meter