Monday, July 22, 2013

Mindless Monday, The Lake - Day One, Brown Sugar Baked Peaches, Another Copper Story

Good Monday morning!

I'm back, Baby!

EXPLANATION - Last week, The Faulkner Five took a week-long vacation at Lake Guntersville. We used VRBO and found a little cabin which would comfortably accommodate The Faulkner Five and Friends throughout the week.

It was a first for us, but we went with the thought of making it an annual event if it was a success.

And guess what? It was. It was a success.

I was planning on blogging from the dining room table overlooking the lake, but for some unknown reason, the two computers we took were not compatible with the wireless internet in the cabin.

Four (or more phones), tablets and various other items did beautifully, but the computers were unresponsive.

Mikie even called for back-up... and the back-up guy couldn't help us either.

I finally let it go, and hoped I wouldn't lose all of my blog readers by taking off a week.

I'll know in a little while if I have to start building the blog from scratch... again.

ANNOUNCEMENT - Since I was MIA last week, I decided to post EVERY DAY THIS WEEK... INCLUDING SATURDAY! That's right. EVERY SINGLE DAY!

I have a ton of pictures, so I'm posting Day One today... Day Two tomorrow... etc., etc.

It's the least I can do, and as soon as I'm finished with Randomness, Blog Linkage, Recipes, etc., we'll get started!

RANDOMNESS - Another Copper Story - Since Copper has been regularly running away these last two months, I've started collecting the "stories" his temporary caregivers share when I show up to claim my wayward beagle.

This is the most recent story...

Mike has fixed the fence five times, and each time, he has done a remarkable, fabulous job.

Each time, Copper (or as we now refer to him, Houdini) has managed to escape.

We opened the outside door to take him to his basement room for the night (he has to sleep in his room now, you know), but he was nowhere to be found. We rode around the Dale for an hour, but to no avail.

Around midnight, we called off the search, and I got up bright and early the next morning hoping to get a phone call.

And I did. I did get a phone call.

He was only three streets away this time, and I hopped into The Big Gold Rescue Van. (Yes. We've renamed The Big Gold Van. We're into Search and Rescue big time now.)

I saw the man standing in his front yard... and I saw a sheepish little beagle sitting on his front porch.

Copper came to me, kissed me and crawled into The Big Gold Rescue Van.

The man told me what had happened.

At 1:00 a.m., he heard what he thought was a wreck outside his window. He quickly got dressed and went outside. People were already standing around two cars.

There was a woman in each car, and they sat waiting for police, paramedics, etc.

The man said everything was under control, but he noticed a little beagle running from one car to the other.

He said it would go from one woman, check on her, kiss her and run to the woman in the other car, check on her, kiss her, etc., etc., etc.

He said it was very sweet.

But then a paramedic arrived and shooed the beagle away.

The beagle ran across Highway 31 (a very, very busy road during the daylight hours) and went into a RV trailer lot.

"I knew he would probably go to sleep and wake up during rush hour traffic. I knew he would probably get hit by a car, so I followed him into the trailer lot. He came when I called, and I carried him back to the house, and he slept in the basement until I called you this morning."

So now it looks like Copper can add "Canine Paramedic" to his resume'.

I'll have another Copper Tale for you in the morning... unfortunately!

Brown Sugar Baked Peaches

A week without wireless internet also means a week without Pinterest. I caught up as soon as I started the "Vacation Laundry" and I found this little peach of a recipe.

I tried it last night, and while it wasn't as sweet as Baked Apples, I think I will tweak it next time to make that sweetness happen.

You will need the following:

1 fresh peach
2 teaspoons butter (divided)
4 teaspoons brown sugar (divided)
Sprinkling of ground cinnamon

1. Preheat oven to 300 degrees.

2. Cut the peach into two halves. Remove the pit. Do NOT peel the skin.

3. Using a butter knife, cut slits across the peach so the sugar and butter can melt throughout the entire peach.

4. Place in baking dish. Put 1 teaspoon butter and 2 teaspoons brown sugar in the center of each half. Sprinkle the top of each peach half with cinnamon.

5. Bake for 20 minutes. Remove from oven. Cover with foil, and bake 10 minutes more.

6. Serve with vanilla ice cream and eat while still warm!

The Lake - Day One


My favorite part of the cabin decor would have to be the freshwater marlin hanging in the den. The kids were more impressed with the giant sectional sofa.


Every room (except the bathrooms) had a big, beautiful view of the big, beautiful lake.


Our cabin was simple and quaint... and nestled. I love anything nestled.


My favorite OUTSIDE part of the cabin... THE HAMMOCK!


I have a friend, Jackie, who takes pictures of her coffee cup, devotion books and propped up feet on different porches she visits throughout the Summer.

I'm going to join her on her Coffee Table Book Tour one day ("View from a Porch"), and hopefully, I'll get to meet Matt Lauer and Al Roker. (That's a little goal of mine.)

I digress.

I'm thinking of starting my own Coffee Table Book. I would call it "View from a Hammock."

I would travel all across the United States...

Nay, the WORLD.

I would take pictures of my feet AND the view from different hammocks.

It would be awesome.

Actually, it would be a lot of work. I'll probably just tag along with Jackie as previously planned.


The Boy/The Man knows how to chill.


Austin...


Austin...


Austin!


Roxie and Mike. (They flipped me out of the hammock.)


A pretty little orange-colored garden of our very own.

I could tell it was going to be a very good week.

To be continued...

I'll be back TOMORROW, TUESDAY, JULY 23 with Randomness, The Lake - Day Two, Another Copper Story AND MORE!

Take care, and I'll talk to you in the morning!

Sincerely,

The Enchanting Belinda

No comments:

Post a Comment

Site Meter