Friday, February 24, 2012

Weekend Happenings

Good Friday morning!

I'm finishing up the week with the last of the mountain pics. Monday I'll have a ton of birthday party photos (Austin AND MamMa). The February party continues.

RANDOMNESS #1 - Mike, Melia, Roxie and I drove to Gadsden last night to meet Austin for a birthday dinner at Top O' The River. He is handling the big 2-1 very well, and I was so happy to see him on his actual "birth" day.

The family party is planned for Saturday. I still haven't decided on a "theme," but I'm thinking Thomas the Train. He never had a Thomas the Train party before. It could be fun!

RANDOMNESS #2 - 15th Annual Mountain Trip - Day Four - Usually, there isn't a Day Four of our Mountain Trip. Day Four consists of packing up and leaving the cabin by 9:00 a.m. (Alabama Time) and heading home. Day Four includes a quick lunch at a fast food restaurant right before we leave the great State of Tennessee. We always make sure the Faulkners are in The Big Gold Van and the Martins are in their car. Day Four is all about getting HOME.

But because of the "blizzard" conditions on Sunday night, we went to sleep thinking we didn't need to get up early because the roads would be beyond hazardous. Maybe we would leave late Monday afternoon... or maybe even Tuesday morning. We would just wait and see.

At 8:00 a.m., I heard talking in the den. Grandmother, Bev and Mikie were discussing options. And by options, I mean the snow was minimal, the roads were wet but not icy and it was pretty obvious we were going to be able to get off the top of the mountain BEFORE Tuesday.

After a quick call to the Cabin Rental Office, they assured us the roads were almost 100 percent clear, but they did give us until 10:00 a.m. (Alabama Time) to get the heck out of Dodge!

We got busy.

And at 9:45 a.m. (Alabama Time), we were ready to leave our little cabin in the woods and head to Knife Works.

In 15 years, the boys have never, ever missed a trip to the Knife Works... and this trip was not going to be an exception.

The adults got the mindset we were going to be a little later arriving home, and we leisurely browsed through the huge store.

Josh bought a new leather belt. Austin bought a pretty blue knife for Melia... because all chicks love knives. Right? Mike and I bought a knife for Austin (for a birthday gift). Brad bought a military knife. And Zac bought... Hmmm. I cannot remember what Zac bought. (I'm going to have to make a quick phone call as soon as I finish writing this post.)

There is something for everyone at the Knife Works. That means Katie, Roxie, Bev and I found a fudge counter. And not just any fudge counter. This particular fudge counter sold red velvet and chocolate fudge. Oh... my... goodness! Whoever thought of combining those two flavors in a fudge-type substance is a genius, and I hope he/she is very rich from coming up with that glorious idea.

About 80 minutes into our Knife Works stop, everyone seemed satisfied so we headed to our fast food destination an hour away.

We stopped at a brand new McDonald's which was so hip and happening, I felt a little out of place. But the food was the same. The food is ALWAYS the same.

We said our good-byes, made sure the right kids were in the right vehicles and headed toward Sweet Home, Alabama.

Everyone arrived home before The Faulkner Five because we had a little 45 minute detour (both ways) called "dropping The Boy off at his dorm." That was fine, but it put our arrival time at Faulkner Farms (circa 1842) around 7:34 p.m. (more or less).

That is late for me. Especially when Mikie, Josh and Roxie started asking "What's for dinner?"

I responded with an "I don't know. What are you cooking?" It was surprising how fast things settled down, and we ate our Sunday Night Cereal Meal. (I love Sunday nights. LOVE them!)

And that is the end of this Mountain Tale. It was not uber-exciting, but it was fun.

After all the tornado "stuff" and the rebuilding "stuff," Bev and family needed a break, and they all visibly relaxed.

No one really wanted to come home, but home is where our lives are... school, work and laundry. It was time to get back in the swing of things.

Until next year when we go on our 16th Annual Mountain Trip... and zipline!

Weekend Happenings

All I can say, is "Hold on! It's going to be a fast and bumpy ride!"

Friday - Austin is working at the Chick. Josh may or may not be hanging out with friends. Roxie may or may not be hanging out with friends. (Cliff hangers. I hate those!) Mikie and I are going to WICKED at the BJCC. The tickets were my Christmas gift to him, and we are so looking forward to seeing this wonderful play.

Saturday - Mikie is getting a haircut. (I know. Riveting information.) Josh is competing in the Scholar's Bowl. Roxie is getting her nails done. I'm getting ready for a 2:00 Family Birthday Party for Austin.

After the Birthday Party, Mike and I will be attending Josh's choir concert.

Sunday - At some point during the day (after church), all of us will be visiting MamMa for her 91st birthday. Austin and Melia will be going to see WICKED during the matinee performance (her birthday present from him). Josh will be going to his Senior Bible Study.

Austin will be heading back to Jacksonville Sunday night for a late night intramural basketball game. (His team is playing for the championship.)

Soon after Austin leaves, Mikie and I will be heading to the Tempurpedic for a good night's sleep before a busy week begins again.

I'm exhausted just typing the above, but I am looking forward to everything that is scheduled to take place.

Should be, could be, a very fun three days.

Have a wonderful weekend. I hope your plans work out, and if you have no plans, I hope you enjoy that as well.

Take care, and I'll talk to you Monday morning.

Sincerely,

The Enchanting Belinda

No comments:

Post a Comment

Site Meter