Friday, March 21, 2014

Weekend Happenings, Crock Pot Cheeseburgers, Pinterest Stuff (Bible Games for Teenagers - Bible Relay Race, Bible Verse Balloon Pop), Blog Linkage, Quotable Quotes

Good Friday morning!

I did something very unusual for me last night. I didn't sleep.

Actually, I slept until 2:21 and I was awake until 5:04, but it still feels like I didn't sleep AT ALL.

If you've been reading the blog for the past couple of weeks, you probably already realize why I even bothered to mention my sleeplessness from last night.

RANDOMNESS #1 - PROM! That's right. Today is PROM DAY, and we are beyond excited.

And when I say "we," we all know I mean The Chick, right?

That isn't to say I am not looking forward to the festivities, also. I am. I really am.

My prom time will be from 1:15 until 5:00 p.m. and then I will be done.

Here's the schedule so far...

11:18 a.m. until 1:15 p.m. - Check out of school and make sure clothes, change of clothes, etc., etc., etc. are all packed and ready to go.

Eat lunch.

Somewhere in that little two hour block of time, Roxie MUST eat lunch.

1:15 p.m. until 2:00 p.m. - Have hair and make-up done. (I get to take pictures of the transformation process which I will thoroughly enjoy.)

2:00 p.m. until 2:30 p.m. - Put on dress, jewelry, shoes, etc. and have pictures taken with The Brothers in our front yard.

NOTE - The Brothers were TOLD when they needed to be home for The Chick/The Brothers picture-taking extravaganza. The Brothers very wisely made arrangements to come home. Josh arrived last night and Austin will be home around 11:30.

2:45 p.m. - Hunter will pick up The Chick, take her to the church to meet up with their group and head to The Botanical Gardens for more pictures.

3:30 p.m. until 5:00 p.m. - I get to take prom pictures with the other nine moms in the group. It is going to be SO much fun.

5:00 p.m. - All of the kids leave to enjoy dinner before heading to the 2014 PROM!

5:01 p.m. - Mike and I head home to kick our shoes off and relax... and receive a few texts throughout the evening letting us know everyone is having a great time.

Here are just a few more pics of pieces of the outfit.


This is a much better picture of her shoes. She assures me they do not hurt her feet, but she has only stood in them for a total of 15 minutes at a time.

I remember the thrill of slipping a pair of shoes like these on young feet for a special occasion.

I also recall the feeling of ECSTASY when I took them off at the end of the evening.

I believe that is where the term "Happy Feet" originated.


I love her sparkly earrings. Very, very pretty.


This year's prom theme is The Great Gatsby. It looks very elegant and festive. I cannot wait to see the pics of how the place is decorated.

That's all for now.

Come back TUESDAY morning for the BIG REVEAL of the entire Prom Ensemble.

RANDOMNESS #2 - Is 50 the New 40? NO... IT IS MOST DEFINITELY NOT!

My 40s will be forever known as the decade I began lifting weights and participating in extreme stretching exercises (a/k/a yoga, Pilates, Body Flow). I also started having the occasional panic attack.

Coincidence?

I think not.

Hot flashes and gravity showed up and made themselves comfortable in my weight-lifting-Pilates-stretching-40s-are-the-new-30s-believing-body.

I’m going to go ahead and debunk a myth today.

Are you ready?

The 40s were NOT the new 30s.

I’m going to debunk another one.

Ready again?

The 50s are not the new 40s.

There.

I said it.

It’s in print, and I’m not going to retract it.

While I have said it before, my 40s were not my best decade. That particular ten-year span contained some wonderful memories and moments I will cherish forever, but all in all, not the decade I would vote to “live again” if offered the chance.

Nope. As of this writing, my 30s were THAT decade.

Ten whole years of babies, diapers, toddlers, pacifiers, Disney movies, super heros, princesses, dinosaurs, minivans, car seats, preschool, Happy Meals, elementary school, school programs, church programs, play dates and EVERYTHING in between.

#lovedit #woulddoitagaininaheartbeat #missitsomuch

I’m three years into my 50s, and from what I can tell, there are definite pros and cons.

Here. I’ll list them for you:

Pro #1 - My hot flashes, while still powerful and “uber” mood altering, tend to come upon me once or twice in the middle of the night and NOT six, seven or eight times during the morning, noontime and evening.

Con #1 - My hot flashes, while still powerful and “uber” mood altering, tend to come upon me once or twice in the middle of the night.

Fun fact for you… I like to sleep at night.

Not sweat.

Just sayin’.

Pro #2 - I have discovered and embraced the "flowy” top. I no longer feel the need to suck anything in, stand up super-duper straight OR stand with half of my body behind my husband and/or children.

As the ever-wise Popeye would say, “I yam what I yam.”

Hmmm.

Now I have a hankering for sweet potato casserole.

Con #2 - In my 50s, I always have a hankering for sweet potato casserole.

Pro #3 - My eyebrows are turning gray, so I no longer have to tweeze them. Now they just blend in with my skin tone, you see.

Con #3 - My eyebrows are turning gray. Heavy, heavy sigh.

Pro #4 - I can still touch my toes with ease.

Con #4 - I rarely remember why I wanted to touch them in the first place.

Pro #5 - I’m glad I had my babies in my 30s before Spandex was put into every garment known to man.

Con #5 - Spandex.

Pro #6 - Mike and I finally purchased a BIG flat screen TV, and I can see everything clearly without looking over, under or through my glasses.

Con #6 - I spend most of my days wishing the rest of the world looked like the picture on my BIG flat screen TV.

Pro #7 - I still have a list of body parts which I still like. (Ears, lower one-third of my calves, fourth toe on right foot, etc.) The list is smaller now, but it still qualifies as a list!

Con #7 - The truly likable parts are getting harder and harder to find.

I wanted to put this "50 is the new 40" stuff behind me, so I found a few wise quotes to help me through the hard times.

"Forty is the old age of youth; fifty is the youth of old age." Victor Hugo

"I don't feel old. I don't feel anything till noon. That's when it's time for my nap." Bob Hope

"After 30, a body has a mind of its own." Bette Midler

There are a million more, but I think it is time to move on to something more productive this morning!

Crock Pot Cheeseburgers

You will need the following:

1 1/2 pounds ground chuck
3 cloves garlic
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon pepper
8 ounces Velveeta Cheese (cubed)
2 tablespoons milk
1 finely chopped onion
Hamburger buns
Garnish - Mustard, Ketchup, Mayo, Pickles, Tomato, etc.

1. Brown beef in a skillet with one clove of the garlic and seasonings.

2. Drain and mix with remaining ingredients in slow cooker.

3. Cover and cook on low for 2 to 3 hours.

I tried this recipe Wednesday night, and it was like a Cheesburger/Sloppy Joe. Very good and moist.

And the leftovers are never too dry.

I also like that this dish can be made ahead, refrigerated and warmed up in the crock pot right before you are ready to serve dinner.

Delicious.

Pinterest Stuff

Bible Games for Teenagers

Bible Relay Race

1. Divide group into two teams.

2. Have the teams line up on one side of the playing area, and have a table with a Bible for each team sitting on the other side of the playing area.

3. Provide each team a list of verses. (The list should include at least one verse for each player and an equal amount of verses on every list.)

4. The first player on each team will look at the first verse on the list and race to find it in the Bible. When they find it they must rush back to their team and write the page number where it was found next to the verse on their team’s sheet.

5. The next person takes their turn continuing with the next verse on the list. The first team who finishes the list is declared the winners.

6. Make sure you look up all the verse page numbers beforehand, so that you can verify the winner.

Bible Verse Balloon Pop

1. Before inflating balloons, place slips of paper in each of them with fun biblical questions. The questions can be trivia, moral “what would you do” type questions or perhaps fill-in-the-blank Bible verses. (I suggest preparing at least as many balloons as there are players, the more the better.)

2. Number each balloon with a marker and write those numbers on individual slips of paper.

3. Turn on some fun music and let the group bop the balloons around trying to keep them in the air.

4. When the music stops, everyone must try and grab a balloon. Draw a number and whoever is holding that balloon must pop it and answer the challenge question inside.

5. If a person is called who has already answered a challenge question, they have the choice to pass their balloon to another person.

Weekend Happenings

1. I don't know if I mentioned before, but Roxie is going to Prom tonight.

2. Austin and Josh are spending some much-needed "bro-time" together this afternoon and late, late tonight.

3. Austin and Melia will be going out on a date this evening. (The "bro-time" will be happening before and after the also much-needed "Melia" time.)

4. I have two date-type things I want to do this Saturday with Mikie... I want to go to the Color Tunnel in Downtown Birmingham and see what all the fuss is about, AND I want to try an Italian ice at Doodles.

Wish me luck!

5. Saturday will be a restful day for everyone except Josh who will be working a shift that evening.

6. After church Sunday, we will be attending Brad's 22nd Birthday Celebration.

7. And after the birthday fun, I think some of us are doing the Mugshots/Divergent Movie thing.

All in all, it looks like it is going to be a very nice weekend!

I hope you and yours have a particularly lovely First Spring of 2014 Weekend. I'll be back TUESDAY with prom pictures galore, Doodles pictures, Color Tunnel pictures, Brad's 22nd Birthday pictures and maybe, just maybe... SOME WORDS!

Take care, and I'll talk to you next week.

Sincerely,

The Enchanting Belinda

No comments:

Post a Comment

Site Meter