Friday, February 7, 2014

Weekend Happenings, Blog Linkage, Cream Cheese Grits, Quotable Quotes, Pinterest Stuff (New-to-Me Valentine's Day Dates)

Good Friday morning!

RANDOMNESS #1 - Mikie took off work today. We were going to go a matinee, have a leisurely late lunch and just thoroughly enjoy this cold, sunny Friday.

However, because of a chance of snowy precipitation last night, Roxie's game was cancelled... and moved to 4:30 this afternoon.

Mike and I could still go on the date, but we wouldn't be able to see the movie we wanted to see (The Hobbit: Desolation of Smaug), because it is almost 3 hours long, you see...

Or eat lunch...

Or get free Krispy Kreme doughnuts with our official FREE Kripsy Kreme Doughnut Coupons...

And still get back to the school by 3:00 to take some Basketball Chicks to Huffman for the first Area Tournament Game.

I mean, we could...

But it would be rushed and hectic and not quite as much fun.

At 52 years of age, the leisurely part of anything is my favorite part.

Sad, but true.

So instead of seeing The Hobbit: Desolation of Smaug on the big screen today, we'll wait a couple of weeks, and hopefully, catch it at the Dollar Movie.

Some movies HAVE TO BE SEEN ON THE BIG SCREEN.

The Hobbit is one of those movies.

"Whatever will the two of you do?" you're probably asking.

Don't worry.

We're exchanging lunch and a movie for paperwork, front door repair and laundry.

And we're pretty pumped up about it, too.

Yep, yep, yep.

RANDOMNESS #2 - I had planned on having the outcome of the first part of the Area Tournament on the blog today, but I guess you'll have to wait until Monday.

We won both of our games this past week (Monday and Tuesday), so we're going into the Tournament with confidence and spunk and hope.

Much, much hope.


This is Marilyn. Marilyn hasn't played a game all season because of an injury.

Monday night SHE PLAYED... and looked cute wearing the bun!


Mallorie means business.


Some of our Chicks at work... Joy, Roxie and Claire.


There is always time somewhere in the game to strategize with other players on the court... Kesley/ Kelci and Mallorie/Alyssa.


One more pic of Marilyn from Tuesday night. I'm taking a lot of pictures of Marilyn these last few games.

RANDOMNESS #3 - I watched a little bit of the Olympic coverage last night, and I was concerned about Bob Costas' left eye (which appeared to be much smaller than his right eye).

Thankfully, it was NO. 3 on the MSN news loop this morning...

Because pink eye is a major story here in these United States!

Quotable Quotes

"Don't stumble over something behind you." Anonymous

Excellent, excellent advice!

Blog Linkage - Go to www.kellehampton.com and enjoy the post entitled, "Enjoying" dated February 5. Simple, but oh, so sweet.

Cream Cheese Grits

Okay. I made these last Sunday, and I should have stuck with the original recipe (below).

Sometimes, I think I'm this really good cook and I can throw this, that and the other into an established recipe and somehow make it my own.

And then, after tasting said "improved" recipe, I remember, "I am not. REPEAT. I am not a really good cook and I need to stick with the instructions!"

Heed, my warning!

You will need the following:

2 cups heavy cream
2 cups whole milk
1 cup stone-ground grits
1/3 cup cream cheese
Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste

1. In a medium saucepan, bring cream and milk to a simmer over moderately low heat. Whisk in grits and cook, stirring often, for 25 minutes. (I actually did follow this instruction... to the letter. I stood and stirred for 25 minutes. Not 15 minutes. Not 27 minutes. TWENTY-FIVE MINUTES over a hot stove.)

2. Stir in cheese and season with salt and pepper. Top it off with some delicious fresh shrimp! (Okay. This is where I really went off the beaten path. I didn't think it was going to be cheesy enough so I added 1 cup of shredded cheddar cheese and 1/2 cup chopped bacon. It was TOO cheesy and TOO bacony. I didn't even know there was such a thing.)

(Also, since we don't live in New Orleans, I didn't serve them with delicious fresh shrimp.)

They were okay, but something tells me if I had done as I was told, they would have been great!

Please feel free to learn from my mistakes.

Pinterest Stuff

New-to-Me Valentine's Day Dates

1. Avoid the restaurant crowds and pick up your favorite dinner to go. (I have done this on special occasions. While cooking a special dinner is nice, sometimes the pick-up makes it more enjoyable for BOTH of you.)

2. If you don’t have time to make a special dinner, make or pick up a “wow” dessert. (Again, I've done this, and it adds something really special to your at-home dinner date.)

3. Take a day off from work together. Your kids are at school, and you can hire a babysitter for the afternoon so you can just enjoy each other's company for an entire day. (There is just something special about a middle-of-the-week date, isn't there?)

4. Have a staycation. Decorate a room in fun, cheesy, and cheap items that will make you feel like you’ve traveled afar. (I would do this if I was hit with an abundance of extra energy. I think I would do a Moroccan theme. That sounds fun to me.)

5. When was the last time you went ice skating without the kids? Hand holding, hot chocolate and laughter. What else do you need? (This sounds fun to me, too. Mike and I haven't done this alone in YEARS.)

6. Pick him up from work and whisk him away to an action movie he's wanted to see. No chick flicks, please! (Make sure it's a surprise. Just be waiting in the parking lot when he gets off work.)

7. Keep your time together light. No serious discussions about finances, kid troubles or criticisms of your husband. (I think this would be a good rule for any date.)

Weekend Happenings

1. Well, tonight we have an unexpected basketball game.

2. Austin and Josh do not have to work tonight, so they are meeting Mike at church for the Men's Steak Dinner. Mike's going to leave the basketball game early to enjoy his evening with The Brothers.

3. I haven't told Roxie, but we may end up doing something "girlie" after the game tonight.

4. On Saturday, Mike and Austin are picking up some new furniture for my living room... and Mike, Austin and Josh are moving it in.

5. Roxie is taking the ACT Saturday morning.

6. Hunter and Roxie are testing a date for me. If it is enjoyable, I'll post it Monday.

If it isn't enjoyable, I'll probably post that part, too.

7. Sunday morning, we have church and I have an after-church surprise for Melia and Austin. (That will be in Monday's post, too.)

Have a simply amazing weekend. I'll be back Monday with news about the Area Tournament, Date details and more, more, more.

Take care, and I'll talk to you next week.

Sincerely,

The Enchanting Belinda

No comments:

Post a Comment

Site Meter