Friday, October 18, 2013

Weekend Happenings, Dance Mom Story #1

Good Friday morning!

RANDOMNESS #1 - This is the last set of Homecoming Pics. This Top Ten came off of The Chick's phone.


On Character Day of Homecoming Week, Roxie dressed up as one of the 101 Dalmatians. Roxie and Kelci.


Roxie and Ragan.


On Holiday Day of Homecoming Week, Roxie decided on St. Patrick's Day as her special holiday. Other than the green shirt and green ribbon belt, the Lucky Charms cereal was the main piece of her costume.

Sad, but true.


Just a bunch of Juniors hangin' out!


Roxie and Kendall.


Roxie and Ally.


Ragan, Roxie, Kendall and Ciara.


Ragan and Roxie.


Roxie and Ragan.


I'm thinking this picture proves Roxie went out to eat barefoot after the Homecoming Game.

And all the women out there said, "I don't blame her!"

RANDOMNESS #2 - My niece, Brandi, gave my great-niece, Lauren, a lovely Ladybug Party last week. Pizza and ladybug cupcakes... I ask you, what could be better?


Brandi and Lauren.


The "must have" item for every Ladybug Party... a Ladybug Centerpiece.


Perfect for a two year-old birthday party (or any other event, for that matter)... little Ladybug Cupcakes.


Beautiful two year-old Lauren.


And Mackenzie!


Baby Mackenzie was at the party, too. (And I was happy, happy, happy!)

RANDOMNESS #3 - Because of other Fall activities, the Faulkner Family Fun Fall Drives are few and far between.

Actually, we have only had one...

And it was just me and Mikie...

And it lasted 46 minutes...

And since the leaves haven't turned in Central Alabama yet, I took pictures of cows (see above) and a little scenery.


This picture has a little bit of everything.

Misty mountains...

Golden sunset...

Pond...

Fence post.

Sometimes I really outdo myself.

RANDOMNESS #4 - Dance Mom Story #1 - Many of you may not know this about me. I was a Dance Mom when Roxie was 5, 6, 7, 8 and 9.

That's right.

Five years.

I've always said I was a "little boy Mom" who was eventually blessed with a little girl. And it's true. I was thrilled to add a Roxie to the mix.

Sadly, "thrilled" does not translate into "I'm naturally good with the hair thing, the make-up thing, the painting the fingernails and toenails thing... or the Dance Mom thing."

Poor Roxie.

At her first dance recital, we arrived on time, and I went straight to the correct dressing room. I dressed her carefully, attached her headpiece, put a little mascara on her eyelashes and then pulled out the big guns... a new lip gloss with soft pink sparkles.

She was thrilled. I applied the gloss, and sat back to admire my handiwork.

Roxie was beautiful.

Simply beautiful.

And a little plain.

As I started looking at the other four and five year-olds in the room, it became apparent that thick theatrical make-up had been applied to most (if not all) of the other kids. Foundation, powder, eye shadow, eyeliner, blush, lip liner, lipstick, more powder.

And the final touch... GLITTER POWDER applied generously to the neck, chest and shoulder areas.

Oh, no. I had been a Dance Mom all of five minutes, and even though I had not forgotten any piece of the costume, I had obviously failed miserably in the stage make-up department.

But I stayed super calm, because that's my special Mom Gift.

I stay super calm in the midst of all things chaotic and non-calm.

When the Mom beside me put her glitter brush down for just a second to adjust straps, headpiece and blot lipstick, I made the executive decision to pick the brush up and I glitterized Roxie from head to toe in five seconds flat.

She looked like a pretty auburn-haired Tinkerbell.

To say she was happy with the end result would be an understatement.

I mean, light pink lip gloss AND glitter powder all in one day... It was a dream come true.

After Roxie performed, I helped her remove her last costume of the day and we made our way back to the auditorium seats. I fell into the seat beside Mike and stared blankly ahead.

"Are you okay?" he asked.

I nodded silently.

"Are you sure? I don't mean it in a bad way, but you're a little more... hmmm... sparkly than normal. Did a fairy explode backstage?"

Having never applied glitter powder before, I was unaware of how potent the stuff actually was. I looked down and saw my black pants had a lot of sparkle to them. My hands were sparkly. I can only assume my hair and face were also lit up with sparkles.

"Don't ask," I mumbled, grumpily.

"Is something wrong?"

"No. Nothing. I'm just the worst Backstage Dance Mom EVER. I didn't have enough make-up for Roxie AND I actually used some little girl's glitter powder brush without asking permission. I'm pretty sure she told on me to Miss Kim (Roxie's dance instructor)," I said. It sounded worse out loud than it did in my head.

"Well, do you know what you need to do next year to make it better?" Mike asked.

"Yes. We're going to need to put out some major bucks to hire a hair/make-up/glitter powder person to transform Roxie from a typical six year-old to a professional dance-type performer. Her face isn't that big, so I'm thinking we may be able to get away with spending $200 to $250 tops. It will totally be worth it."

"I'm thinking we purchase a glitter powder brush and you practice between now and then and become much better with the application process," Mikie countered.

I love him, but he can bring me down faster than any other human on the planet.

"It sounds stressful and a tad unnecessary to me, but I'll give it a shot," I told him in my best "calm" voice.

And he bought it!

I'll have another Dance Mom Story on Monday. It's about the five second costume changes.

Just thinking about it makes me cringe.

Weekend Happenings

Okay. Okay. Our Weekend Happenings are totally and completely out of control. People going here, there and everywhere and no one asking the Maternal Unit if she had any plans... at all.

It's enough to make a grown woman cry... a lot.

1. Mike and Josh are heading to Texas bright and early Friday morning. They are going to visit their eighth SEC stadium in College Station, Texas. Texas A&M is playing Auburn, and the guys are excited to add this stadium to their list.



Austin will be calling the Donoho game Friday night in Anniston, but on Saturday JSU has a "by" week. (That means they aren't playing a game. I didn't know if y'all were as up on football terms as I am.) Instead, Austin will be traveling to Heflin, Alabama to work a Music Festival with WVOK. He's excited, so I'm happy for him.

It wouldn't be my "thing," but I've finally accepted the kids have different "things" than The Enchanting Belinda. Hard to believe, but true.

2. Roxie and I will be spending the night with Grandmother Friday night and attending the Springville High School game. We're going to watch Zac march in the band.

3. On Saturday, Roxie has plans aplenty, and I'm going to work on a surprise project for Mikie. This will make him extremely nervous if he reads the blog while in Texas because he'll be afraid I'm throwing away some of his life memorabilia.

But that's okay. It might make him come home a little early.

4. Sunday is up in the air for Roxie, Austin and myself. No plans for after church yet... which means tons of plans will be revealed to me as soon as Pastor Keven says, "Amen!"

Have a lovely Fall weekend. I will try to do the same. Hopefully, I will have Texas A&M/Auburn pics to share with you Monday morning, as well as some Springville High School Band pics. (It's been awhile since I did the high school band "thang," so I'm anxious to see if I've still "got it.")

Take care, and I'll talk to you next week.

Sincerely,

The Enchanting Belinda

No comments:

Post a Comment

Site Meter