Monday, August 5, 2013

Mindless Monday, The World's Largest Brick... NOT, First Day of School Tradition, Blog Linkage

Good Monday morning!

We're back on schedule! I'll be posting today AND Friday only this week.

RANDOMNESS #1 - Austin left bright and early Saturday morning for a week at the beach with The Lovely Melia and family.

I'm wishing him great weather, perfect waves and minimal amounts of seaweed in the water.

Fun fact for you... Austin, Melia and her family are at the beach during Shark Week.

Guess who will NOT be watching Shark Week in Central Alabama this week?

That's right.

This Chick!

I think I have enough to worry about without adding the stress of watching 24/7 shark attacks on the telly all week!

RANDOMNESS #2 - Josh is excited about moving into his apartment this month. And I am excited about furnishing it. Yes, I am.

I hit a few estate sales Saturday morning, and for $20 I purchased a really nice, masculine table lamp, an iron, a brand new coffee maker (still in the box) and two stove-top pots with lids.

He already has a recliner, television, entertainment stand, bed, dresser, lamp and nightstand. That's not bad, but he definitely needs more kitchen supplies.

Before I hit Wal-Mart and Target for the remaining "stuff he has to have," I'm going to spend a couple more weeks checking out estate sales.

I also have an idea for a family housewarming party I'll share with you after-the-fact. I don't want to spoil any surprises which might be coming up in the near future for Josh.

RANDOMNESS #3 - Roxie's homecoming was sweet... and late. Well, late for me. She and Taylor came home around 9:37 last night.


Sweet Taylor was in this picture, too, but her eyes were closed, and I'm going to post some cute pictures from their trip on Friday (with Taylor's eye's wide open).

They had a great time, and I sat with them around the kitchen table while they ate Zaxby's chicken and told stories from their week together.

As I watched and listened to them talk about their vacation, I felt very, very pale.

And I started wanting a Polo hat and a ponytail.

And a lime green Pineapple Willy t-shirt with mismatched Nike shorts.

But then reality set in, and the days when it would have been okay for me, personally, to wear a ponytail and a Polo hat and a lime green Pineapple Willy t-shirt with mismatched Nike shorts have passed me by, I think.

Or have they... Hmmmm.


I missed Roxie so much, I bought her a new comforter while she was gone.

Because everyone knows a new comforter takes the wanderlust right out of a 16 year-old chick's heart and makes her want to stay home with her Mom forever.

Am I right?

No. I didn't think so either.

RANDOMNESS #4 - The World's Largest Brick... NOT - On our way to the beach last week, Mike and I made a pit stop in Montgomery, Alabama to see the World's Largest Brick.

According to "The List," The Brick is one of five "World's Largest" things to look for in Alabama.


At first, I was upset because the signage was covering up two of the brick holes, and it didn't look as much like a brick as I thought it should.


Then I was upset because upon closer inspection, the brick is completely hollow.


And then I was a little angry because Mike insisted it wasn't a large brick at all, but rather a big brick-like sign (made up of thousands of smaller bricks)... and it was false advertising.

He even went into the office and asked the guy behind the counter if there was another AUTHENTIC giant brick in the vicinity.

The guy behind the counter didn't know what he was talking about, and when Mike explained he just shook his head.

"That isn't the World's Largest Brick outside. It's just a sign. However, our parent company does have the World's Largest Brick at corporate headquarters... in Texas."

So, so disappointed.

I asked Mike if he would mind terribly if we scooted over to Enterprise to take a picture of the World's Largest Boll Weevil Monument, but he was SO over it by this time, he said we were going to the beach and taking a picture of a large body of water.

Not the World's Largest Body of Water, mind you... but a pretty big one just the same.

Just so you know, the Pacific Ocean is the official World's Largest Body of Water.

Or that's what it says on the Internet!

RANDOMNESS #5 - Mike and I joined a new Sunday School class a few months ago, and we love it. I was asked if I would like to write a little article for the class newsletter every couple of months, and I jumped at the chance.

It has been a couple of weeks since the July/August Newsletter was distributed, so I'm going to post the little article on the blog today.

Her Children Will Rise Up and Call Her Blessed... I’m Waiting!

I’ve been a Mom for 22 years now. That’s over two decades of my life.

During those 22 years, I have washed countless loads of laundry, wiped thousands upon thousands of runny noses and changed so many diapers my carbon footprint is listed on America‘s Most Wasteful bulletin board.

I have baked dozens of cupcakes after midnight because someone forgot to tell me they signed me up for the School Bake Sale three weeks prior.

I have attended soccer games, basketball games, volleyball games, football games, band concerts, choir concerts and for one short, short season, ice hockey games.

I am an expert in dinosaur trivia.

I have slept on hard floors beside the beds of sick kiddos in case they needed me during the night, because I was afraid I would be sleeping too hard to hear them call.

I have learned the words, “Mom, I think I’m... ,” are always, ALWAYS a precursor to the child throwing up all over my Sunday shoes.

I have run out of the house with wet hair, mismatched shoes, improper foundational garments and/or no (or improperly) applied make-up because one of my kids “needed” something “right now” or they would “absolutely die.”

I have awakened in the middle of the night with a child on my mind and heart, and prayed and prayed and prayed.

I have stayed semi-alert until the wee hours of the morning waiting for a child to return home or arrive safely at a destination.

I’ve performed all of the above-mentioned selfless acts with unconditional love. I’m a Mother. That’s my job. That’s what I do.

But if I was completely honest, I would have to admit to a small, almost not worth mentioning, phrase I hope my children will one day utter... before total and complete exhaustion and/or deafness take over…

“Her children arise and call her blessed… .” Proverbs 31:28.

Wow! How cool would that be?

I’m going to give them until my 60th birthday to rise up and do the right thing (eight years from now), and if it still hasn’t happened...

Well, I might have to take turns living with them...

And throw up on their Sunday shoes.

Blog Linkage - Go to www.kellehampton.com and check out her weekend adventure at Weeki Wachee Underwater Mermaid Theatre.

I want to go there... today.

First Day of School Tradition

I know a lot of parents give their children daily devotional books for Christmas gifts, and that's a great time because a lot of the books start January 1 and go throughout the year.

However, another good time to receive a new devotional book (not necessarily daily) would be the beginning of a new school year.

I found this book for Roxie in our church bookstore (If God Really Loves Me, Why Can't I Get My Locker Open?).

Not only does it have a great title, but it is filled with short (a page or so) devotions which deal with issues Roxie will be (or has been) dealing with since entering high school.

This specific book has 365 devotions, but they aren't listed as January 1, January 2, etc.

They are simply listed Day One, Day Two... You get the idea.

If the kid misses a day, they don't feel like they have to catch up!

They won't get discouraged about getting too far behind.

They won't stop picking up the book OR waiting until next year to get a fresh new start.

In other words... No Excuses!



Have a magnificent Monday. I'll be back at the end of the week with two new recipes (I hope), Randomness, pictures and Weekend Happenings.

Take care, and I'll talk to you Friday.

Sincerely,

The Enchanting Belinda

No comments:

Post a Comment

Site Meter