Friday, May 17, 2013

Weekend Happenings, Blog Linkage, The Story of Copper - Part One, A Camel Ridin' Date, Well Spent Alphabet Date

Good Friday morning!

RANDOMNESS #1 - The Chick tried out for Varsity Basketball and made the team this week. As you can imagine, all is well at Faulkner Farms today.

Volleyball tryouts are underway, too, but Roxie made a decision to be a one-sport chick earlier this year, and since basketball is her favorite of the two, she is sticking with dribbling, passing and shooting.

She'll miss her volleyball peeps at practices, camps and games, but we think she made a good decision for her.

So instead of 1,087,340 pictures of volleyball games beginning in August, you'll have to wait for the 1,087,340 pictures of basketball games which will begin in November.

It's a hardship, I know, but I expect you to hang tough and make the best of it.






RANDOMNESS #2 - Last Saturday, while the kiddos ran/walked the 5K, Mom, Bev and I walked around the little "waiting" area in Crestline, and we found this beautiful nursery.








If you like to walk through a lovely and unique nursery now and again, this one is worth visiting.

RANDOMNESS #3 - The Story of Copper - Part One - Before I tell the story, I want to give you a little update. Copper was exhausted Monday and Tuesday after his wild and crazy adventure Saturday and Sunday. He ate, drank and slept for two entire days.

As of this morning, he is as normal as he has ever been.

And we are grateful.

Eleven years ago, Mike showed up from work with a tiny, fit-in-the-palm-of-your-hand miniature beagle.

My sister, Bev, knew someone... who knew someone... who knew someone... and we became first-time dog owners.

Josh named her Sparkle. Austin and Roxie agreed. And we became The Faulkner Five... plus one.

Sparkle camped with us, rode in the boat with us, walked with us and protected us (or so she thought). She was a good fit for our family, and as far as beagles go, she was an easy, breezy pup.



Four years after Sparkle joined our family, Josh became ill. So much of our energy and time was spent inside, Sparkle became a little neglected as far as "lovin'" was concerned.

And because I do indeed love Sparkle, I didn't want her to be lonely during this difficult time in our family. I approached Mike about adopting a "rescue" beagle.

He was a little hesitant because we, as a family, were already overwhelmed, "under" rested and most days we were operating on auto-pilot. Another dog might just become "the straw that broke the camel's back."

He was right, of course. But I was kind of right, too. In the end, we decided to try it on a "let's see if it works" basis.

I made arrangements with a "beagle advocate" to be a "host home" for a week. During that week, if our visitor just didn't fit in, he/she could be returned to the advocate.

In other words, it would be like housing a foreign exchange student... showing them the very best the United States has to offer (or in this case, The Faulkner Five... plus one) and letting them return home to their family having enjoyed a very fulfilling "life experience."

If you didn't already know it, I tend to over-think things.

My conversation with the "beagle advocate" went something like this:

Beagle Lady - "So, do you have any dogs?"

The Enchanting Belinda - "Yes. We have a four year-old beagle named Sparkle... female."

Beagle Lady - "And where does Sparkle sleep?"

The Enchanting Belinda - "She sleeps outside of my bedroom door on our deck. She also has a little blue doghouse, and if it is cold or stormy, she has a room and bed in an unfinished room in our basement."

Beagle Lady - "So what you're saying is she doesn't stay in the house with you on a full-time basis?"

The Enchanting Belinda - "Well, she comes inside for lovin' and some lap sittin', but for the most part, she is an outside dog. Oh! And once we let her watch Marley and Me with us, and I cannot begin to tell you how we lived to regret that decision. I told you she was a beagle, right? Like Snoopy. Right?"

Beagle Lady - "I'm aware she is a beagle, and I cannot believe you let her watch Marley and Me either. Are you aware I have 14 beagles presently living in my home right now."

The Enchanting Belinda - "I am so sorry. I can't imagine what that is like."

Beagle Lady - "You're sorry? You're sorry? I'm going to have to give this some thought. I'll contact you if I have a beagle available."

The Enchanting Belinda - "I don't understand. You have 14 beagles living INSIDE your house and you don't know if you have one that is available? How can that be? I would be trying to get you to adopt 13 of those beagles right about now."

And then I laughed, because I tend to think I'm very funny.

Beagle Ladies do not think I'm funny... at all.

Hmmm. So far, The Story of Copper sounds more like The Story of Sparkle, doesn't it?

Why don't I finish this up Monday, because The Story of Copper definitely is worth repeating... and repeating well.


Blog Linkage - Please go to www.kellehampton.com and read Monday's post entitled "The Middle Parts." Kelle and her family actually go to a place called The Isle of Capri for summer evenings and long weekends... just because. It looks and sounds heavenly.

A Camel Ridin' Date

My new friend, Tiffany, posted a picture on Facebook the other day of her and her daughter riding a camel at The Birmingham Zoo.

And I thought to myself, "Myself... Wouldn't that make a really fun date? Wake up and tell your little one, 'Let's ride a camel today.'"

If you had time to spend the day at The Birmingham Zoo that would be good, too.

But if not, just to wake up, put on some camel ridin' clothes and go out for a little wild animal adventure? That would be memorable!

I realize this could be a little pricey if you were ONLY going to ride a camel, but if you are a member of The Birmingham Zoo, it would be very, very doable.

Saddle up and have a great, great date!

Well Spent Alphabet Date

I found this on the Internet, and although it is similar to a date I posted a couple of years ago (Thrift Store Date), it has a little twist I think is pretty cool.

Even the calmest of couples has a competitive streak, but instead of letting it flare up in an unhealthy way, use it to strengthen your relationship with a gift-off at the local flea market. Agree to spend $10 to $20 on each other, and set some criteria... The items must all start with the letter "M," for example, and you have 30 minutes to make your purchase. Now that the rules are in place, shop away.

You can shop in categories (most items bought beginning with the letter "M," most unusual item bought, oldest item bought, most useless item bought, most useful item bought, etc., etc.)

End the evening with the letter, too. If "M" is your letter, eat at Mugshots or Moe's.

Watch a movie beginning with the letter when you get home (Marley and Me, Monster's, Inc., etc.)

Have a good time!

Weekend Happenings

1. Saturday morning, Mike and I are planning a breakfast/farmer's market date at Pepper Place. I have never been, but I've always wanted to go.

I don't know what to expect, so I'll be taking the camera with me... to an outdoors farmer's market... because doesn't everyone take pictures of fresh fruits and vegetables on a regular basis?

That's what I thought.

2. Sunday morning, Austin will be recognized as a college graduate in the 11:00 a.m. service at our church. It's going to be a special time, and one I'm planning on enjoying to the utmost.

I have had TOTALLY different reactions concerning high school graduation and college graduation.

I am not tearful...

Or fearful...

Or despondent.

I think I may have actually grown over the past four years as a human being.

And isn't that what college is supposed to do?

3. After the service Sunday, The Faulkner Five are heading to Slice (my pick) for my Mother's Day Celebration. Roxie and Josh haven't been yet, and I'm eager to see what they think of the joint!

Have a lovely weekend. I'll be back Monday with pics from my Mother's Day Celebration and details from my date with Mikie at Pepper Place (I hope).

Take care, and I'll talk to you next week.

Sincerely,

The Enchanting Belinda

No comments:

Post a Comment

Site Meter