Friday, May 10, 2013

Weekend Happenings, Blog Linkage, Mother's Day Stuff

Good Friday morning!

RANDOMNESS #1 - As far as Mother's Day traditions go, I believe you all know mine by now.

We celebrate my Mom and Mrs. Faulkner during Mother's Day Weekend.

We celebrate ME next Sunday.

However, I DO still receive my traditional purple orchid Mother's Day Corsage on the original Mother's Day Sunday.

We've been doing this for several years now, and it makes Mother's Day Weekend much more "unhurried."

This year, we're spending Saturday with my Mom (see Weekend Happenings below).

We're spending Sunday afternoon with Mike's Mom.

And next Sunday, we're going to eat lunch at Slice (great Hawaiian pizza, by the way) and go to a movie... my choice.

It works for us.

RANDOMNESS #2 - I found this list of the "Worst Mother's Day Gifts Ever" on my Internet travels this week, and I found it pretty interesting.

Kitchen Appliance - This woman has spent years preparing food for your approval. A kitchen tool will seem less like a "Thank you" and more like "Hey, Ma! Can you whip me up another meatloaf?" (The Enchanting Belinda says - Unless the appliance is an eggplant colored Mixmaster mixer with a paddle attachment, I concur.)

A Pet - Your mom is finally seeing the light at the end of the tunnel of taking care of you. She's thinking manis and pedis... not starting from scratch raising a brand-new helpless creature.

Fruit of the Month Club - Not exclusively a bad Mother's Day gift. This is the kind of monumentally awful gift that can ruin any occasion. (The Enchanting Belinda says - Usually I would agree, but I knew an attorney who received this gift from a client and he loved it and our office loved it. Except for June. June was Pear Month. I do not care for the pear.)

Lunch at Any Restaurant With Laminated Menus - While Waffle House and IHOP are time-honored institutions, they won't exactly scream "special occasion." Any screaming you hear will be directed at you if you choose to take her to one of these joints. (The Enchanting Belinda says - I disagree with this one, too. I would love me some IHOP on Mother's Day... or any other day for that matter.)

A Gym Membership - Your mother passes as many health clubs as you do every day. If she hasn't signed up for anything yet, she's not looking for a reminder from you that she needs to get in shape. Stick with chocolates on her special day. You can tell her she's fat tomorrow. (The Enchanting Belinda says - True. So, so true.)

By Hamish Carpenter

Quotable Quotes - In honor of Mother's Day, I found some "serious" quotes and some "funny" quotes. I'm aiming to please today.

"My first vivid memory is when first I looked into her face and she looked into mine. That I do remember, and that exchanging looks I have carried with me all of my life. We recognized each other. I was her child and she was my mother." Pearl S. Buck

"All I am or can be I owe to my angel Mother." Abraham Lincoln

"My mother was the most beautiful woman I ever saw. All I am I owe to my mother. I attribute all my success in life to the moral, intellectual and physical education I received from her." George Washington

"I want my children to have all the things I could not afford. Then I want to move in with them." Phyllis Diller

"When your mother asks, 'Do you want a piece of advice?' it is a mere formality. It doesn't matter if you answer yes or no. You're going to get it anyway." Erma Bombeck

Blog Linkage - Click on Dating Divas under My Blog List and read today's post entitled "Grown-Up I Spy." This is a cute date for your spouse or one of your kids... and it has a FREE printable.

Weekend Happenings

I'm going to try something new beginning today. My Weekend Happenings portion of the blog is sometimes in list form, sometimes in wish form, sometimes in paragraph form, etc.

I want to use the same "format" each and every week. Never knowing what "format" I'm going to use bothers me... greatly.

That being said, I'm going to hit the highlights using the handy/dandy list format, and on Monday, I'll respond to how each event/plan/outing actually turned out.

You'll be able to see my successes AND my failures (of which there are many)!

1. Saturday - Bev's family, my family and my Mom are participating in the 2013 MotherWalk in Crestline.

In case you don't know, MotherWalk is a 5K Fun Run/Walk focusing on raising money and awareness for Ovarian Cancer Research. This year is the tenth year for the MotherWalk, and I'm glad to report Team Tootsie is 13 members strong.

We did this last year as an extended family, and it was a very meaningful way to spend our time with Mom on Mother's Day Weekend.

This past week marked Mom's second year anniversary of finding out she had Stage 3 Ovarian Cancer. As of this writing, she is on monthly "maintenance" chemo treatments.

2. Sunday - We're going to visit Mike's Mom after church Sunday morning... and maybe, maybe we'll see Matthew and Lauren (great-nephew and great-niece extraordinaire) during the visit.

I feel all is right with the world since I finally decided upon the list "format" for Weekend Happenings.

On one hand, I hope the lack of organization in Weekend Happenings hasn't been bothering you as much as it has me, and I apologize for any discomfort or sleepless nights it may have caused.

On the other hand, I'm pretty sure you never noticed, and I applaud your mental stability!

I've posted some pictures from last year's MotherWalk, and I'll have the new ones up and running Monday morning.


Bev and Katie


Team Tootsie


Melia and Austin


Roxie, a Roller Derby Queen and Katie


Brad and Stephanie


Josh and Mikie playing checkers at Cracker Barrel AFTER we finished the MotherWalk. (We're doing the Cracker Barrel thing again this year.)

Have a blessed and happy weekend. I'll be back Monday morning with MotherWalk 2013 pictures, Mother's Day pictures AND some "gettin' ready for summer" ideas.

Take care, and I'll talk to you next week.

Sincerely,

The Enchanting Belinda

No comments:

Post a Comment

Site Meter