Friday, February 8, 2013

Weekend Happenings, Blog Linkage, Crock Pot Chicken and Stuffing, New York City Date (Valentine's Day), Alabama Dates (Valentine's Day), Elf Boots

Good Friday morning!

RANDOMNESS #1 - The Second Secret - I told you I had one more secret I was keeping until today. The Big Reveal came Monday night for the six seniors on our basketball team.

Roxie and Kelci wanted to do something SPECIAL for Senior Night, so Kelci ordered really, really cute tote bags in school colors with the girls' initials monogrammed on the front. She also had "Playing for Him" monogrammed on the opposite side of the bag.

(That is the phrase the girls came up with the first of the season for their team motto.)

Roxie made bulletin boards filled with action shots from the seniors' last season with pictures I had taken during the games.

And then there were roses.

And then there were bags of candy.

It made me wish I was a Senior again.


Most of the loot. I wish I had a picture of the bags. They were so pretty.


This is Taylor's bulletin board... up close and personal.


Even though she's a Sophomore, The Chick was sad Senior Night. She doesn't like change very much. She gets that from her Mama.


I like to look at everyone's face. It definitely tells a story.


This is where Taylor and I differ. If I fall on my bottom...


I stay on my bottom. I NEVER jump up and start running. NEVER. EVER.


Roxie presented Taylor with her Senior Night "stuff."


It was a big night, but definitely bittersweet.

RANDOMNESS #2 - The Area Tournament - Our official "season" is over, but we began the Area Tournament last night.


This is my action shot for the day of Miss Mallory.


It's a blur, but can you guess who won?


I love happy basketball chicks, don't you?


We play our next game Saturday night.

I'm hoping to have more "happy" pictures Monday morning!

RANDOMNESS #3 - Did you know the United States of America fell off a list this week? We are no longer one of the Top Ten Happiest Countries.

That's right.

Based on economy, personal freedom and safety, we didn't make this list.

And in case you're interested, Norway, Australia, Canada, Sweden and New Zealand were the Top Five.

I think we have some work to do before next year.

RANDOMNESS #4 - Elf Boots - As promised, I'm re-posting my "Elf Boots" story from a year or so ago. This is what happened when I dressed myself (without Roxie) for a speaking event at my church.

What I'm about to tell you will let you know about a side of me I have kept to myself... up until now.

Because I was representing the "fall" season of life, I didn't wear a new Christmas outfit to the event... even though it was definitely a Christmas event.

Instead I wore a burnt orange sweater with a dark brown camisole and a print skirt with a myriad of fall colors splashed all over it. My only problem with the outfit had to do with footwear.

I have pretty brown pumps that go with the outfit, but since no one wears hose these days (even in the winter), I had to decide whether the outfit needed boots OR tights. It wasn't a "tights" kind of outfit, so I opted for a new pair of boots. Suede boots. Brown suede boots. I tried them on. They felt marvelous. I bought them!

I left for the event before Roxie came home from volleyball practice that particular day. I thought I looked pretty spiffy in my autumnal outfit and my brand spankin' new brown suede boots. I walked with confidence to the podium. I gave my talk knowing I looked ultra-fine. And I left the event with warm feet AND calves because of the new boots.

I walked into our home, and I was immediately met by Roxie at the door.

"How did it go?" she asked. And with one quick glance up and down, she didn't give me time to answer the first question before the second question came out of her mouth.

"Tell me you did NOT wear those boots with that outfit!"

"Well, yes, I did. I wouldn't have changed shoes in the car on the way home. I thought you would like them. Look. Feel them. They are suede! So hip!"

"Do not use the word 'hip,' and I am NOT believing you wore those boots." The only thing MORE dramatic than Roxie would be me... Roxie's Mama.

"Why? What is wrong with them?" I was beginning to think I had gone color blind and maybe the boots were gray suede which would explain why Roxie was getting SO upset.

"You do not wear flat boots with a long skirt. You only wear flat boots with a shorter skirt and tights. You should have boots with at least a two-inch heel with that outfit."

"Well, I didn't want to trip in front of everyone, so I opted for the flat instead of the heel. These are fine. No one but you would ever notice that little detail."

"No, ma'am. Everyone noticed it. You broke a 'boot rule.' Promise me you will only wear those boots with a short sweater dress OR skinny jeans."

"Roxie. I am not wearing a short sweater dress. Those things are tight in the wrong places. And if I'm wearing skinny jeans, it is just because I ate too much the day before and my regular jeans are unbelievably uncomfortable. And I will NOT tuck my uncomfortable regular jeans inside boots... because then my boots would be too full."

"All I know is you cannot wear those boots again with the clothes you own. You look like an elf."

And with that, she hugged me and headed to bed.

Roxie is good, but I was sure she was exaggerating... until I headed to Wal-Mart the next day, the mall that weekend and church on Sunday. Her "boot rules" were exactly right.

I did look like an elf...

In front of over 500 women...

Who probably already knew the "boot rules."

And it normally would have bothered me a great deal except for how warm and cozy my feet and calves were that night.

And that confirms any doubt I might have had about being in the "fall" of my life. Comfort before style. That's my new motto... and I don't care who knows it!

Blog Linkage

1. Go to Six Sisters' Stuff under My Blog List and read today's post entitled "Six Sisters' 50 Go To Recipes." Now cook something!

2. Go to Nitty.Gritty. under My Blog List and read yesterday's post entitled "Note to Self" for a little inspiration.

3. Go to Confessions of a Pioneer Woman under My Blog List and click on the two tiny "ski" pictures at the top of her page. Read "A Skier's Tale" dated February 5 and "Having a Wonderful Time and I've Only Cried Twice" dated February 4.

I've only been skiing once in 51 years, but The Pioneer Woman's experience sounds very similar to my own.

Crock Pot Chicken and Stuffing

Okay. I made this last night from a Pinterest recipe. It falls into the easy, filling, "what-do-I-want-to-fix-for-dinner-tonight" categories.

You will need the following:

4 thawed chicken breasts
1 6-ounce package of Stove Top Stuffing Mix
1/2 cup sour cream
1 can Cream of Chicken Soup
1/4 cup water

1. Place chicken breasts in bottom of crock pot.

2. Pour Stove Top Stuffing Mix on top.

3. Mix sour cream, soup and water together. Pour over top of stuffing.

4. Cook on low 4 hours.

The chicken is beyond tender and tasty. We are not a huge fan of Stove Top Stuffing because we have really fantastic dressing during the holidays from both sides of the family. (We're a little spoiled.)

But it was a good dinner to throw in the crock pot on a busy day.

New York City Date (Valentine's Day)

I found a new blog recently, and she posted the most romantic New York City Date (with pictures).

Of course, she lives in New York City.

And so does her husband.

Hence, she was able to arrange this date quite easily.

As a Central Alabamian, this is probably out of the realm of possibilities for my Valentine's Day Date with Mikie.

Go to www.joannagoddard.blogspot.com... and if you're in the New York City area next week after the blizzard, definitely go on this date!

Alabama Dates (Valentine's Day)

To be totally fair, I found a couple of Central Alabama Valentine's Day Dates. I didn't want all of my New York City readers (I think there are five of you now) thinking we didn't have fun way down South!

1. If you have a really sweet man in your life, he might take you to the Home and Garden Show at the Birmingham Jefferson Convention Complex (BJCC) Arena and Exhibition Halls. It is scheduled for the weekend of February 14 through February 17, 2013.

I love the Home and Garden Show, and they really have something for everyone... men included.

2. The Alabama Theater is showing Casablanca at 8:00 p.m. February 14. Being a movie lover, this would suit me just fine... along with a box of popcorn and a Diet Coke.

3. Mike and Roxie will be going on their annual Father/Daughter February Date in the next week or so.

Since Roxie outgrew our church's Father/Daughter Valentine's Day Banquet a few years ago (it goes through 5th grade, I think), she and her Dad have continued the tradition on their own.

Roxie is a pasta/steak/potato kind of chick, so they dress up and go to a nice restaurant and have STEAK. It makes them both happy... and I don't mind a bit.

Weekend Happenings

Our happenings are ever-changing, even as I type this little paragraph.

These are the events which are still planned...

1. The Boy is coming home today.

2. Roxie is playing basketball Saturday night.

3. We're going to Oxford after church Sunday to help Mr. Faulkner celebrate his birthday.

Let's keep our fingers crossed, shall we?

Have a great weekend. I'll be back Monday morning with birthday pics, Valentine's Day goodness, pics (basketball AND non-basketball) and more.

Sincerely,

The Enchanting Belinda

P.S. I definitely have two sons and two beagles and a husband... who have not had very many pictures on the blog during the month of January... and now the month of February.

I'm going to try to remedy this horrendous oversight Monday morning.

Until then...


Enjoy Sparkle.

Or Wonder Dog, as we like to call her.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Site Meter