Friday, January 29, 2016

Weekend Happenings, Blog Linkage, Pinterest Stuff (Toddler Fun - Play Doh Collage, Cardboard Box Coloring AND Valentine Sensory Bin) AND Crockpot Hot Vanilla

Good Friday evening!

RANDOMNESS - As I may or may not have mentioned last Friday, Mikie and I celebrated our 28th wedding anniversary last weekend.

On our anniversary weekend, it has always been our tradition to pick a nice local hotel, have a great dinner and get up the next morning feeling refreshed and rejuvenated and ready to tackle all things "family."

Out of 28 celebrations, we have only stayed home one time.

It was anniversary number three, and I was "great with child."

Austin.

I did put on a little makeup and I remember trying to wedge my swollen feet into some kind of footwear, but at the end of the evening, I wanted to be at my house, in my bedroom with my hospital suitcase sitting at the foot of my bed.

This year, Mike and I chose Aloft Hotel in Homewood. We have stayed there once before, and we both like the convenience to downtown, SoHo AND Hoover.

We usually try a new restaurant on this special occasion, but we both wanted to go to the Downtown Fish Market for dinner and Original Pancake House for breakfast the next morning...

And one week later, we are still satisfied with those two choices.

Aloft is a really funky, hip, happening, 30-and-under-crowd kind of place, but Mike and I are of the age we don't care anymore, and we played billiards in the lobby before we left.

We didn't care who saw us!












See what I mean?

We didn't really "fit in."

No one else was taking selfies of themselves sitting on the "cool couch."

I was starting to regret not trying anything "new" on this particular anniversary, so I asked Mike to drive us to a local juice bar before heading home on Sunday.

What can I say...

I panicked.

Thankfully, the juice bar was closed, but Edgewood Creamery was open.


Not the most comfortable seating, but still pretty neat.


I had Mexican Hot Chocolate.

The word "hot" did NOT mean Southern hot chocolate like you drink in the winter.

The word "hot" in this particular instance meant cayenne pepper.

Yeah.

Tasted great, but there was a little burning sensation in the tongue and gum areas.

We also went to three different estate sales which is kind of becoming something we like to do together.

All in all, we were both pleased with Anniversary 28, and we've extended our marital contract for at least one more year.

As soon as we get the document notarized, it will be official.

We're going for 29!

Blog Linkage - I know y'all have heard of juice bars... and grits bars... and pancake bars...

But have you heard of a Toast Bar?

Have you?

Go to www.pagingsupermom.com and check out her Toast Bar. Very cute!

Crockpot Hot Vanilla

Roxie is not a chocolate person, but I found this recipe, and I cannot wait for her to try it...

With a cinnamon stick...

And a lot of whipped cream.

You will need the following:

5 cups milk
1/2 cup sugar
1 cup hot water
6 to 7 teaspoons French vanilla syrup

1. Combine sugar and hot water in large pan. Stir, and bring to gentle boil.

2. Transfer mixture to crockpot. Add milk and vanilla syrup.

3. Stir, then cook on high for 2 hours (or low for 4 hours).

Pinterest Stuff

Toddler Fun

Play Doh Collage

Using natural items collected on a Nature Walk (leaves, rocks, berries, sticks, bark, etc.), press them one at a time into a fairly large piece of Play Doh. Let the child pick the color, and you help roll the dough out with a rolling pin.

The child can rearrange and get it JUST RIGHT!

NOTE - I would put the dough on a paper plate or a piece of wax paper. You'll be able to put it on top of the refrigerator or some other high surface, and let your child look at it or play with it over several days when they ask to see it.

Cardboard Box Coloring

This activity requires two simple things...

A big cardboard box and crayons. Stick your toddler in the box and watch him/her create!

Valentine Sensory Bin

Choose a theme and colors. All you need to do now is hit up the nearest Dollar Store and/or Target Dollar Bin and buy trinkets in your theme color!

Next, grab a deep container or bucket, and add some small filler for the base (beans, pasta, rice or glass beads, etc.).

You will need the following:

Plastic bin/tub, preferably deep with handles
Rice
Small Valentine-themed trinkets (red plastic jewels, plastic hearts, heart shaped erasers, Eiffel tower figurine, etc.)
Tools (scoopers)
Small heart containers
Silicone cupcake liners
Funnels

Don't forget to put a mat under the bin for easy clean-up.

Weekend Happenings

It is going to be a wedding kind of weekend.

I don't have to number anything because it is ALL related.

We are having a little family get-together in honor of Courtney and Josh Sunday afternoon.

The whole weekend will center around this one event.

That...

And The Chick is coming home because she desperately needs to see me.

Or Tucker.


Either way, I get to see her!

Have a fantastic weekend. I'll be back next Friday with pics from this weekend and more!

Sincerely,

The Enchanting Belinda

P.S. Here are a few Roxie pics from last weekend. I didn't take them, but I realize this week's post is very "Mikie and Belinda" heavy, so I wanted to leave you with The Chick.




She went hiking in the snow in Georgia with some friends.

Without me.

Which is normal...

And healthy...

But just a little sad.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Site Meter